Topic: Dulcimer Players

Are there any other dulcimer geeks out there?

Re: Dulcimer Players

What's a Dulcimer then?

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

I have a Mountain Dulcimer but haven't played it in a while...gotta get it out and start working on some stuff...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Yes - I have a nice dulcimer that my wife bought for me, but I have never done much with it.  It is a shame since it is a very nice instrument made a local gentleman who has since passed away.

Nevermoore, can you advise as to any good web resources for dulcimer beginners?  I know there are many different tuning and stringing options.  What are some good free sites with basics?
Help - James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Well now  Nevermoore and  James its a pity you were not at my festival last week!
Lorrie Ornstein presented the Appalachian Dulcimers history, tradition and song! With a view to having a hands on workshop next summer? .as they were giving Dulcimer lessons as part of the Festival! The best part  " It was all no charge"
Old Doll.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hello Old Doll,
Your festival last week sounded like a big hit. Way to go and congratulations. I was raised in Southwestern Virginia where traditional string music is widely popular. I now live and perform( live music) on the west coast of Florida. I refuse to use pre-recorded music in my act and that offers a counter-balance from what most of the performers do, thus I stay very busy. One of my Friend-fans brought a Bowed Psalter to one of my gigs. She's loaned it to me for a spell and I'm really diggin' this thing. Are you familiar with this beautiful instrument and if so do you have any advice/tips to improve my understanding of the "Bowed Psalter"?

Thanks in Advance,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I am a certifiable dulcimer geek.

Probably the best resource site is www.everythingdulcimer.com

Does anyone have any dulcimer tabs on this site?  If not, what would be the procedure for submitting them?  I have a few I'd like to contribute.

Hi Southpaw41l,
I am now only seeing this post from you!!!

I do know what they sound like! and there is a Hog shaped one as well! But no i cannot help you! "Sorry"  The Class i was at was fascinating! for the dulcimers! Its a great sound..
Would the Auto Harp not be on the same Principle, ?? If so The Bould James McCormick is your Man!

I have a group of friends going to Florida in October! Where do you Play there?

I was to go to Virginia this year, but Health circumstances prevented it. I have teacher friends in New Richmond! Ohio, who are  Originally from  Virginia.
So next year im planning a long break in the States. So Many things i want to do Id need a year there! Sure i just might never come back!

Slán

Old Doll.

"I have a group of friends going to Florida in October! Where do you Play there?"

Hello Old Doll,
I play in the Tampa/St.Pete area and my October schedule is pretty crazy. If you'd like I'll send you a private e-mail with specific details per each venue. I don't wanna get in trouble for spamming myself(tehe). If you do come you must bring your guitar and play some of those beautiful creations of yours.

Ciao Bella,

SoutPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

Hi Southpaw41l,
Yes! i  the would appreciate the email when you get the time! Thank You!
One of the Guys is a drummer. Another owns a house out there and has been
a Trombone and Trumpet player all his life.. Could be, He has already heard you play..
An Old Childhood friend also lives in Clearwater! He was home some years ago for his Mams funeral and did give me his address, but ive lost same!

Any how, I wont be with this group,as an American friend from Colarado, Fell in love with Ireland and one of of our" Fear"{Man} And is having her wedding here late October.{ I was Miffed} as wanted to see The Rockies and Sing "Annies Song" from the top of one of them! Its on my list of things to do!!   Oh well! some other time! DV.

Slán

Old Doll.

Mtn dulimer lovers might want to check out Joni Mitchell's old album "Blue". She ran away to Europe one year and just took a dulcimer with her. She wrote and played several of the songs on that album with the dulcimer. See if you can figure which ones. They have a steel string classical guitar quality.

Let's not forget the Hammer Dulcimer particularly ala John McCutchen.

I've got a songbook of mountain dulcimer arrangements here.  Only 4 songs right now, but I've got another 65 in the unpublished section of my songbook, and I'll gradually work on the arrangements and move them to the public side.  Search my user name or the songbook name, 'dulcimer tunes" to find it. 

I do this as part of a monthly newsletter for my dulcimer club.  Let me know if there is a particular song you would like, and I'll see if I can do it for you.

Enjoy!

Tom

A month ago I couldn't even spell dulcimer player and now I are one. Kind of.
Having a blast trying and it is helping me pick out the melody on the guitar.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I  understand what you mean. I started out playing the dulcimer a long time ago, and I just recently started guitar. I love playing both and I have found that learning one helps me to get better on the other.

I love deadlines, I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)

Three year old thread, but still active two months ago.

I've made a few dulcimers and plan to build a lot more, but I'm not even decent at playing one yet. It's a lot of fun, tho' I'll get a lot better before spring time.

peace,
dw

Yeah, I said my dog doesn't bite, but that's not my dog.

I Got a Dulcimer of the Old Lady Next Door to me for cutting grass etc.
I love it.
I am now A big fan of Bing Futch
Mine has 2 high D strings
so a 4 string model.

DD A G

I've been playing the dulcimer since the early seventies and own a few of them.  It's an amazingly addictive instrument and I love to put one in the hands of a non musician because you just can't hardly make a mistake on one.  I mostly play in a mixolydian tuning and often use a pencil and rubber band as a capo to change modes to get a minor type sound.  The internet has a lot of good tabs and I learned from one of the old Oak Publishing tab books which can maybe still be found with a little hard searching because they were pretty good books usually, well worth the search.

dustindare wrote:

I've been playing the dulcimer since the early seventies and own a few of them.  It's an amazingly addictive instrument and I love to put one in the hands of a non musician because you just can't hardly make a mistake on one.  I mostly play in a mixolydian tuning and often use a pencil and rubber band as a capo to change modes to get a minor type sound.  The internet has a lot of good tabs and I learned from one of the old Oak Publishing tab books which can maybe still be found with a little hard searching because they were pretty good books usually, well worth the search.

I play a little.
Thanks for the capo idea.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.