Topic: I Guess I Owe The Squier Company An Apology

I always thought of them as a "low end price" guitar manufacturer, but from what y'all write, it appears I am wrong.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: I Guess I Owe The Squier Company An Apology

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I always thought of them as a "low end price" guitar manufacturer, but from what y'all write, it appears I am wrong.

Bill

Opie the Squire is a Fender guitar and some of them are made in other countries.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i was under the impression they were made in Japan?

when they first came out to be honest, they weren't that good, from what i was told at the time.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I always figured that Squier was the "entry level" of the Fender line.  They are not bad though and highly affordable.  Some places they cut corners though, and I remember doing a refinish on one a few years back and after stripping off the original paint from the body discovered that it had been made from plywood.  Not a very good grade of that either, and the "blows" were filled with something like polyester auto-body filler.  After a good sanding, sealer, primer and new paint with a few coats of clear urethane, it all went back together and looked great and played with that true Strat tone, so no harm no foul...... that's what really matters isn't it?  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

I always figured that Squier was the "entry level" of the Fender line.

That is exactly what they are.   I'm not fond of them, but once set up, they're an OK entry point.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Being that one can make ukes and (who knows-guitars too?) from things such as cigar boxes.... well, I guess it's the pickups and the neck, then, isn't it?

smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

7 (edited by beamer 2016-12-12 23:35:53)

AS I have mentioned before, Even with Squires, you have different quality lines.  Betty is a higher end Squire, (Affinity line) Still it was only 140 with the Sale price. Build quality is solid, Alderwood on this line. and of course with my pickup mods, it rocks a punch, (Running through Jerome's big Kustom  amp or Alan's big Fender it kicks some but) Running though my Bugera   it kills it also.  It may have Bondo (also known as fill and fair)  underneath but the fit, Finish and sound is great.  But there are some really crappy squires out there also.  I always fall back on, If it paly good  and feels good for you, its good.

a review, http://www.guitarfella.com/squier-affin … ss-review/

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

You saw the post about the one that I just bought. I can`t complain about it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

9 (edited by Russell_Harding 2016-12-13 04:50:06)

Well as far as the Squire I have one I purchased about 2 months or so ago and all Squires have always been made in Indonesia not Japan they feature a push pull volume and a three position selector switch + a neck pickup and a humbucking bridge pickup. the new ones have a blond maple neck mine is candy apple red and it sound very unique coming through my effects and marshall amp almost the same tone as a Tele but not as twangy great tuners and fast action this is no entry level guitar in the right hands for best results use .09 to .042 super slinkys it gives a nice bite.
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13654306_10209978104707966_1871455409507439935_n.jpg?oh=32f2c88e64c401d7a844c862a6caf147&oe=58ED8A26

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Wow! What a range of opinions! Thanks! And Russell, how's "Retro" doing? Gonna grace us with a Christmas tune? wink

I'm thinking "Run, Run Rudolph" or "Roger Got Run Over By A Reindeer"...... smile

[SHUP, OPIE!!!]

Sorry folks. It's what happens when I run out of meds! ...... smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

11 (edited by beamer 2016-12-13 04:54:42)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Being that one can make ukes and (who knows-guitars too?) from things such as cigar boxes.... well, I guess it's the pickups and the neck, then, isn't it?

smile

Well the wood does play a big part in the ability for sustain and sound, but if you tweek everything correctly, Well then It can be done.  You ever see the beginning of IT MIGHT GET LOUD where Jack White makes a slide guitar with a pick up, a board and a pop bottle?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnsQRpgYmaE

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Wow! What a range of opinions! Thanks! And Russell, how's "Retro" doing? Gonna grace us with a Christmas tune? wink

I'm thinking "Run, Run Rudolph" or "Roger Got Run Over By A Reindeer"...... smile

[SHUP, OPIE!!!]

Sorry folks. It's what happens when I run out of meds! ...... smile

Bill

Bill the Band dose not do any perhaps we should do one, I like is Little Drummer Boy I recorded a CD of all Christmas songs including one I wrote I still have a few laying around but I have all the songs on my pc and I can burn one if I need it.

Well..... I need it, if you would be so kind, sir! Also wouldn't be bad to hear your drummer do the obvious one.

Doesn't matter. I'm just a fan of the band, so rock out on anything "Christmasy" you want to.

I also would like to know when you three start playing for an audience, because I definitely think you guys need to nail down that playlist, practice it and get going before one of you kicks the bucket! (That was a joke, okay?)

Your Friend

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Well..... I need it, if you would be so kind, sir! Also wouldn't be bad to hear your drummer do the obvious one.

Doesn't matter. I'm just a fan of the band, so rock out on anything "Christmasy" you want to.

I also would like to know when you three start playing for an audience, because I definitely think you guys need to nail down that playlist, practice it and get going before one of you kicks the bucket! (That was a joke, okay?)

Your Friend

Bill

email me your address + a check for $500 lol (just a little holiday humor) just send me your address Bill smile

Bill you've got to be one of the funniest guys I know and Russ's reply also made me giggle.

Just a suggestion what about a thumb drive? It must be cheaper to post and you can get more songs on there???

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I have to disagree with Russell`s comment that they were all made in Indonesia. I just bought a Made In U.S.A. Squier.  A "Fire Squier".  There was a fire at the Squier factory. Fender still had to fill orders. They were made here until the factory was up and running again. Pictures in an earlier post.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

17 (edited by Tenement Funster 2016-12-13 18:40:02)

My next "planned purchase" guitar will be this Squier Strat, which sells for just under $400 new:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/files/48057/md_0301227506v1_hi.jpg

They call it a "Vintage Modified '70s Stratocaster" and it has Seymour-Duncan pickups in it. I would expect there'd be some differences between this and the +$1,000 Fender version, but for a hobby guitarist, I can't imagine needing the higher end one. Steve Rothery of Marillion tours with this very same Squier guitar, and it sounds fantastic.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I have to disagree with Russell`s comment that they were all made in Indonesia. I just bought a Made In U.S.A. Squier.  A "Fire Squier".  There was a fire at the Squier factory. Fender still had to fill orders. They were made here until the factory was up and running again. Pictures in an earlier post.

All Squires were made in Indonesia at least up until the fire I purchased mine in August of this year and all or most of Fenders guts are either Japanese or china very little is produced at Fender even the decals they call it "out sourcing" even Gibson uses foreign parts nothing is "Made in America" unless you cut the tree down and plane it good luck finding electronics or hardware made in the USA so while you are technically correct on the fire squire ( makes sense) I have to argue it is better then mine. (sometimes I like to argue) lol  smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

My next "planned purchase" guitar will be this Squier Strat, which sells for just under $400 new:

They call it a "Vintage Modified '70s Stratocaster" and it has Seymour-Duncan pickups in it. I would expect there'd be some differences between this and the +$1,000 Fender version, but for a hobby guitarist, I can't imagine needing the higher end one. Steve Rothery of Marillion tours with this very same Squier guitar, and it sounds fantastic.

Other then the name on the head stock I don't see a to much difference between this and a strat

Russell_Harding wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

Other then the name on the head stock I don't see a to much difference between this and a strat

The number of 0s on the price tag

What you need to look at is that these do not actually have Duncan's in them,  they are Duncan Designed (still they sound really good from the ones I have played with in the shop) If they were actually Duncans you could add about 300 to the price tag.  Just looking this up the guitar ranges from 225 to 299.  It is still a great guitar smile

OH an a comment on the Squire lines, the lowest quality line is the "Bullet"  VERY entry level.

CHEERS