Topic: lurking in the shadows

been quite awhile since I've posted here although I have been lurking about. For the newer members and those who may have forgotten, my name is Butch Swyers from Clarion PA and I have a total love affair with Ovation guitars. I've been away from here for a few years but have thought often of my fellow Chordians. I see some have disappeared and there are many new members. I'm looking forward to getting to know the new members and becoming reacquainted with the rest. Had a lot of stuff going on in my life that resulted in relationship and life changes, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I had given up on playing due to a left hand injury but after feeling sorry for myself(doesn't do any good) for about 6 months I picked my balladeer back up. It hurt to play but it hurt worse not too. Long story short I'm back. Some chords I can't play due to finger mobility (open f chord and open c) but there are ways around it(nothing like some constructive cheating).I've also increased the number of Ovation's in my collection. Besides my mid 80's balladeer I now have an 84 Celebrity solid body electric,a late 90's traveler and a new Celebrity standard. I still have my Danelectro 56 reissue and have picked up an Ibanez resonator and a no name 6 string banjo. I'll try to post some pics but may need some help doing so since I'm not real computer savvy. Looking forward to getting to know everyone again and hoping I can make one or more of the gatherings. Who knows,maybe set up one here in western PA. I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a safe and joyful holiday season and keep on pickin

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

Re: lurking in the shadows

Welcome back and hope your playing goes well. Sometimes finger mobility can improve the more you play and hope that is the case for you. I have only played classical guitars and have my favorites so I can understand your love for Ovation  guitars.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Welcome back Butch,

Sorry to hear about your problems and injury. Did you know that one of our Members badly injured his left hand and taught himself to play as a lefty? He is now a professional musician that I had the pleasure of seeing a couple of years ago. You may not need to be so drastic and given some time,  physio and practice you may get your hand working without pain, so don't give up there is always a way. I am hoping for the best for you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi there Butch, when I saw your tag I took a second look at the date and saw today's, so welcome back. Some other names you may remember but have got lost somewhere are Daddy Cool,  Old Doll and Southpaw which I haven't seen for a while and a few others. Sorry for your family and hand problems, hope 2017 is a good one for you.

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Welcome Back !!  Sometimes life gets in the way, and we all understand that.  Nice to have you "home" and the community has grown, there are a few new faces in the crowd and more than a couple not too far from where you are.  Us here in the West kinda envy you folks on the "right side of the Continent" for having opportunities to gather together fairly often...... but that's just Geography.

Make yerself to home !

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Welcome back! I think I remember talking to you about the Ovation 12 string  I was given a few years ago.  As you say there are work arounds, Like the Root 5 of F and C, and most all major or minor chords. The beauty of Power chords. big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hi Butch

Don't recognize the name so I guess I got here after you took a break. Nice to meet you. I have an ex-brother--in-law in Shippenville. Haven't been up that way for 12 years or so.

Back in 2001 I tried tearing the tip of my left index finger off. It was pretty ugly. I got it caught between an oak log and a steel post on the truck it was being loaded on. The Doc put it back together pretty well but I was out of action for over a year, not that it mattered a whole lot since I wasn't playing much at the time. I was fortunate enough to get full mobility back.

There are a few gatherings within a reasonable driving distance. One in Syracuse, NY, hosted by mekidsmom, in August. That's become an annual event for me. Another one, hosted by yours truly smile in October near Blain, Pa. When things work out right for him there's another one in Northern Va. hosted by Zurf. Looking forward to seeing you at one of them.

UJ

Thanks for the welcome back. I've actually been back to playing for a couple years now. No pain in my hand,just a frozen joint on my index finger but as I said I've been able to work  around it. The pain involved was getting calluses to build on top of the scar tissue and since then it's been fine. I've also semi-retired so I've been playing more in the last couple years than I had for quite awhile. Purchased a small PA and have hooked up with a good friend who is an amazing guitarist. We've played a couple small parties and it seems like we may try to get some  actual paying gigs. Neither of us have a great voice but with some electronic help (love that vocal harmonizer) we don't sound too bad. I'm looking forward to  the Pa. gathering as it's only a couple hours from me and New York and Va aren't that far either. I've had a small gathering here the last couple years with people I'd been in bands with and people I just jam with. Nothing big, only goes for a day( or less,depending how many adult beverages are consumed) but it's a lot of fun. We'll have to see how things play out but I would love to set up a Clarion River jam. There's a small town right on the river where a building with a full kitchen can be rented for a small fee and is only 20-30 minutes from I-80. The river is fairly shallow there which keeps powered boats away allowing swimming,tubing, fishing and canoes. Lots of camping available (Cooks Forest State Park ) and hotels are close also. So if there would be any interest let me know and maybe set up for sometime in June. It could be a lot of fun and with everything there is too do there even the kids should be happy. keep on pickin

Welcome back. I have lots of family a bit southeast of you in Altoona, and my father used to (I think) work with Clarion Sintered Metals in your hometown. Glad you're back to stay!

10 (edited by beamer 2016-12-20 00:12:21)

bswyers wrote:

Thanks for the welcome back. I've actually been back to playing for a couple years now. No pain in my hand,just a frozen joint on my index finger but as I said I've been able to work  around it. The pain involved was getting calluses to build on top of the scar tissue and since then it's been fine. I've also semi-retired so I've been playing more in the last couple years than I had for quite awhile. Purchased a small PA and have hooked up with a good friend who is an amazing guitarist. We've played a couple small parties and it seems like we may try to get some  actual paying gigs. Neither of us have a great voice but with some electronic help (love that vocal harmonizer) we don't sound too bad. I'm looking forward to  the Pa. gathering as it's only a couple hours from me and New York and Va aren't that far either. I've had a small gathering here the last couple years with people I'd been in bands with and people I just jam with. Nothing big, only goes for a day( or less,depending how many adult beverages are consumed) but it's a lot of fun. We'll have to see how things play out but I would love to set up a Clarion River jam. There's a small town right on the river where a building with a full kitchen can be rented for a small fee and is only 20-30 minutes from I-80. The river is fairly shallow there which keeps powered boats away allowing swimming,tubing, fishing and canoes. Lots of camping available (Cooks Forest State Park ) and hotels are close also. So if there would be any interest let me know and maybe set up for sometime in June. It could be a lot of fun and with everything there is too do there even the kids should be happy. keep on pickin

You need to talk with Amy as she had her gathering up in NY.  The BYG (Back Yard Gathering),  Dont forget, there is also Chordiestock around the March time Frame down in Tampa if you need to get out of the cold smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

bswyers wrote:

We'll have to see how things play out but I would love to set up a Clarion River jam.

About 3 hours for me. It takes me 5 hrs. to get to NY so Clarion is easily doable.

I may want to consider throwing up my tent though. Coming across the mountains after dark can be rather hazardous with the deer population.

Welcome back Butch.  I'm glad you'll be around more.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Greetings Butch I like your attitude to playing guitar  and life.

WELCOME BACK!

I just took a little peek at your post history - and it looks like you've been gone for about 2 years (from posting that is).  Awe... missed ya!  I think you may have been on the list for one of the get togethers here in Central NY back then... though your injury was still causing quite a few issues at the time.  I'm glad to hear you've found a way to work around it!  YAY!  The "mekids-family" generally makes time to get to the gathering Uncle Joe's Band (UJB - AKA:  Joe) holds in PA.  Between that, our own gathering here, and a possible trip a hair more west this year, I don't know that we'll be able to make another... however... it may be something we'd consider in 2018!  I do hope though that you can either make it to Joe's or our gathering this year.  It sounds like you might just be ready!

Good to see you around again Butch!

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_0106.gif

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Well there's lots of time between now and June so we'll see what happens. If I remember correctly it's only a hundred bucks for the facility for a 24 hour period and I'd be more than glad to cover that. As I said ,we'll see what happens. Very good possibility of making one or more of the other gatherings as I pretty much set my own work schedule and don't have to ask for time off. Maybe by then I'll have figured out playing with a slide and be able to bring the resonator. Great to be back and back in touch with my Chordie family and wish all a safe and happy holiday season

Welcome back Butch.  Cooks Forest State Park is  about a 5-1/2 hour drive from my house so it would be doable.  The timing might not work though.  I host a fishing get-together here in southern Ohio for fishermen that hang out on the Riversmallies website each year in early June.  There may also be a RS gathering in Arkansas late May/early June, plus I'm expecting some visitors sometime in the summer (date hasn't been confirmed yet).  Still, if it there is no conflict I'd be interested in attending your Clarion River Jam.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

Welcome back Butch.  Cooks Forest State Park is  about a 5-1/2 hour drive from my house so it would be doable.  The timing might not work though.  I host a fishing get-together here in southern Ohio for fishermen that hang out on the Riversmallies website each year in early June.  There may also be a RS gathering in Arkansas late May/early June, plus I'm expecting some visitors sometime in the summer (date hasn't been confirmed yet).  Still, if it there is no conflict I'd be interested in attending your Clarion River Jam.

DE ... I saw your mention of www.riversmallies.com and had to reply. I visited the site a few times in the past, to get outfitting tips for my kayaks. I fish a number of slow moving rivers from the 'yak here in Nova Scotia, primarily for brook trout. Lots of great help there on anchoring techniques.

Tenement Funster wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

DE ... I saw your mention of www.riversmallies.com and had to reply. I visited the site a few times in the past, to get outfitting tips for my kayaks. I fish a number of slow moving rivers from the 'yak here in Nova Scotia, primarily for brook trout. Lots of great help there on anchoring techniques.

I hung out on the RS site for about ten years and met many paddlers/fishermen/campfire pickers which are now great friends (its where I met Zurf).  The site closed for a short time and I re-registered when it started back up but it has never seemed quite the same so I don't post very often anymore.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs