Topic: Introduction and Carpol Tunnel?

Just joined. I was introduced to the forum by unclejoesband from another forum of a passion we both share. I haven't spent much time learning the forum yet, perhaps 20 minutes, but like what I see. I spent some time in the Song of the Month forum and love the Feb choices. Love Amie and was working on it before I had to put the guitar up. The Other Stings forum was kind of a let down as far as participation. Whet to it to see if you had any banjo players.
I started playing in the late sixties. I have played rock, country and bluegrass over the years.
About 2 years ago, my carpol tunnel in my left hand severe and I couldn't play (not that I could play before). I had it operated on 10 days ago. Before the operation I couldn't make a tight fist. Ten days after the operation, I can already make a pretty tight fist. I hope to pick the guitar and banjo up in the next month and brush off the rust. See if the figures want to move
Have any players experience carpol tunnel and did it help fretting after surgery?

Re: Introduction and Carpol Tunnel?

Welcome Marshel. Glad to have you aboard.

The CT surgery should have you feeling better in no time

Welcome to chordie Marshel. I have no experience with carpal tunnel, but I wish you the best of luck!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Welcome aboard Marshel.

In 1988 I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands.  After months of sleeping sitting up in a chair at night so I could shake my hands every hour or so to relieve the pain, I suddenly had no pain at all.  It took several months before I felt I had full strength in my hands but anything that required using my hands/manipulating my fingers was instantly easier.  I hope the surgery provides as much relief for you as it did for me. My only regret was waiting 12 years to have the surgery after the symptoms started.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Welcome to Chordie Marshel,   

I have no experience with CT but have heard it is very painful, so I hope you have a successful and speedy recovery from your operation.
Glad you have taken a look in at FSOTM and hope to see you join in there, hopefully in the near future playing your guitar or banjo smile  Feel free to join in anyway with suggestions, votes or comments in general anyway until you are able to play again.
I know we have another banjo player here in Chordie and that would be easybeat who gets his banjo out from time to time.

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Welcome to Chordie !!  No doubt you will be seeing a Physical Therapist about the time you hit day 14 in the healing process.... if not already.  You should mention to them that you have this musical "hobby" and I would almost bet you will be advised to pick that thing up as soon as you are comfortable doing so.  The general thinking is that low stress movement (articulation) will greatly speed up the healing and reduce the formation of scar tissue that might stiffen things up.  Opinions vary, but the last surgery I had was rather serious, and I was in the Therapist"s torture chamber three days out of the OR.  Then twice weekly for two months.

Almost good-as-new...... but the "talent transplant" portion didn't "take" so good. smile big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Marshel
Welcome to the Chordie family !

This is one great group - support from all over the world - in many different facets including music !

Here's to a wonderful recovery and a jettison back to your playing days of the  strings without fear or pain.
Hope to hear you playing soon.

I've never had CTS- never want it - but certainly have great  empathy for your situation. Be strong- be resilient, be confident !

best wishes - and welcome again - very glad to have a new member!

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

on a side note - just noticed Doug that you are from Western Oregon.  My daughters in-laws live in Philomath - is that anywhere near where you are ?
Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Welcome to Chordie.

Good luck with your recovery.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-04-03 12:51:17)

Welcome to Chordie, Marshel ... and kudos to UJB for bringing you along.

Many guitarists have to make modifications to their playing style as time goes by to cope with things like CTS, arthritis (in my case), hand injuries, etc. The good news is that it can be done, and your PT should be able to recommend exercises which will be helpful. The hardest part is changing the way we've programmed our brain. Unlearning one habit in order to learn another requires some hard work. But since you enjoy playing ... that will be a labor of love. Here's a fairly in-depth article which you may find useful:

http://www.musicianshealth.com/CubitalTunnel.htm

Tenement Funster wrote:

Welcome to Chordie, Marshel ... and kudos to UJB for bringing you along.

Many guitarists have to make modifications to their playing style as time goes by to cope with things like CTS, arthritis (in my case), hand injuries, etc. The good news is that it can be done, and your PT should be able to recommend exercises which will be helpful. The hardest part is changing the way we've programmed our brain. Unlearning one habit in order to learn another requires some hard work. But since you enjoy playing ... that will be a labor of love. Here's a fairly in-depth article which you may find useful:

Thanks for the link. Very enlightening.

TIGLJK wrote:

on a side note - just noticed Doug that you are from Western Oregon.  My daughters in-laws live in Philomath - is that anywhere near where you are ?
Jim

About 10 miles as the crow flies..... my youngest son and his family live there, along with our newest Grand-daughter so we get over that way a bit.  That's pretty close.

You wouldn't happen to know Herb  Westcott by any chance ? He is a tree farmer there.

Welcome to Chordie Marshel!  Any friend of UJB, is a friend of ours!  Hopefully this means we'll get to meet you either at the gathering we hold in NY or the one Joe does in PA!  By the time one or the other comes around, you should be healed up well by then and back at the strings!  smile

I haven't had surgery - but I know the beginnings of that evilness.  I had some problems at one point as I type - A LOT.  I was also working as a cosmetologist, so lots of repetitive hand movements.  I was using two hands to carry my coffee cup to prevent dropping them on the floor, I was wearing wrist splints at night, and compression sleeves during the day.  The numbness and pain was nerve wracking.  I found that better ergonomics made a lot of it go away, along with learning certain massage techniques in the hands to relieve pressure.  Now a days, it's a "so far, so good" type of deal - I don't have too many issues now.  However, it's probably only a matter of time before the issues begin again and I'll need the surgery as well because ergonomics can only go so far for hand related issues.  Thus far, it hasn't seemed to affect me when playing the guitar, my hands are more bothered by typing than anything else I do.  Every time it tries to start back up, I reassess my ergonomics and change a few things around.

My mother was a waitress from the 70's through the last few years.  You don't see it so often now, but up through the 90's when I was too a waitress it was no biggie to carry 8 plates on a big ole tray supported by your shoulder and wrist.  Or at a diner, to carry for plates balanced on one arm, wrist and hand!  She had surgery, at one point, took it easy with the trays and plates for about a year, and then went right back into carrying trays like she used to (maybe without the full 8 plates though on the big tray - that's a LOT of weight).  It worked wonders for her. 

Sounds like you'll be picking up your instruments soon enough!  Glad to have you aboard!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Welcome! as others have said, its a great place to be.    NO CT here but I have a fear it might not be long off.  Great to have a new member to the forum.

Cheers! Scott. AKA THE METALIZER LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Great news. I got the guitar out to today to try it after surgery. Very pleased with the results. Sound wise a lot to work on, but fretting very very much better than when I gave it up 2 years ago. I was even able to fret the 12 string. A ways to go, but a lot better.

You are 30 plus days out of surgery and I'm guessing fairly happy with the results..... which is a good thing !!  You only have 2 years of down time to make up for so I would expect once the calluses get back you'll be right in the mix again.  Most of us have had some down time over the years and it always seems to be easier almost as if it was riding a bicycle, or something not like work.

Welcome back !!

Marshel54 wrote:

Great news. I got the guitar out to today to try it after surgery. Very pleased with the results. Sound wise a lot to work on, but fretting very very much better than when I gave it up 2 years ago. I was even able to fret the 12 string. A ways to go, but a lot better.

That's GREAT to hear!  Take it easy, and get back into it as you're able.  It sounds like things are looking up!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Marshel54 wrote:

Excellent! Glad to hear it's working out for you. http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_3190.gif

Doug_Smith wrote:

You only have 2 years of down time to make up for so I would expect once the calluses get back you'll be right in the mix again.  Most of us have had some down time over the years...

Quoted for truth.

I was out of the loop for nearly 20 years when I decided to dust off those rusty strings. It took me a couple months to bring back the basics. I went up to Amy's GTG about 7 months after I got back into it. First time I'd played in front of other people in a looooong time. I felt a bit overwhelmed. I hadn't yet recovered much of my repertoire by then but having kind, encouraging people around made it easy to jump right in.

Looking forward to meeting you at one or more of this years events.

I'm a little late catching the "Welcome Train", but I too would like to add mine to the rest of the family's Marshel54. I believe you mentioned playing the banjo? Unless I am mistaken, we don't have too many banjo players in our midst, so hopefully you'll consider helping some of us along.

We're all very happy to have you aboard, Marshel! Don't be a stranger! smile

Thanks

"Opie"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com