Topic: destroying your guitar or not?

I own a Martin, electro-acoustic, sounds great, but I own also very high priced guitars without electronics. I do have a 2 mics, and an acoustic amp and placing these mics in front of a guitar, trying to avoid "feedback". I am just afraid to put preamps in it, destroying in a way of speaking my instrument.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: destroying your guitar or not?

Have you checked out some the stick on pick-ups from Barcus Berry, McIntyre, and Fishman? McIntyre makes an acoustic feather that sticks inside the guitar and is hardwired to a jack that replaces the rear strap button. They also make pick-ups that will stick to the outside of the guitar and have a jack that is stuck or taped in place. A pre-amp can be added inline without having to cut into your guitar...I'm fixing to have a McIntyre installed in a mandolin and really cautious about drilling holes, etc. in it...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I don't know much about electric guitars, seeing as I just got my first job, so I never bought one. Anyways, I have a cheap mic that records surprisingly great on my computer when I just set it inside the body of my acoustic. Although, it probably wouldn't be too practical for performing, would it? :-p

jaygordon75 wrote:

Have you checked out some the stick on pick-ups from Barcus Berry, McIntyre, and Fishman? McIntyre makes an acoustic feather that sticks inside the guitar and is hardwired to a jack that replaces the rear strap button. They also make pick-ups that will stick to the outside of the guitar and have a jack that is stuck or taped in place. A pre-amp can be added inline without having to cut into your guitar...I'm fixing to have a McIntyre installed in a mandolin and really cautious about drilling holes, etc. in it...

B-Band does the same as far as the saddle, under the saddle pickups and end pin preamp. If anything they (the luithier) would add a wood shim (so the saddle pick up don't move, shim is removable) under your bridge.  You can control your volume through your amp or a clip on eq like the one L.R. Baggs offers.

Bootlegger.

Hi Doc!
I have a non micked acoustic Tanglewood and lately I have got my first gigs and needed to "amp up" to be heard...

I'm not rich so I choose a sound hole microphone that was realy cheap (approx 50 euro) and it works super. You just place it in the sound hole and a spring keeps it in place. A cable comes from the sound hole and you plug it to the amp.

I looked at some more expensive ones that have separate screws for each string so you can get the sound as you want (the price for those in Sweden is 100 euros and up).

They dont effect your guitar at all and can be removed just as easy when you dont need amplification. One problem with mine is that its so thick that I have to detune one string to get it in, but I don't use it often so it's really not a problem.

Theese mic's only work on metal strings, nylons don't induce any current in the mic so they won't produce amped sound.

A link to get you some info:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi … ern+1/10/1

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

Petermiss, I am not rich too, but what is being rich. Those who claim that money doesn't make you happy are wrong. It does make you happy, just because you don't have to check every € or $ before spending it, BUT it is not, because you have money that you will be happy. The more you have, the more you spend, and worse, the more girlfriends you have, the more you spend.
I earned a lot, I don't lie about this, but I also worked 70-80 hours a week, and was always the first to jump on the right train. But, I was really lucky, because due to circumstances I was able to obtain a very pretty collection, selling one will give me more than selling "obligations", so I enjoy my guitars twice: I play, and I am, better was able to pick the right stuff, and not putting them away like a museum. The biggest problem is, there are so many pearls in guitar world, and I realise that the biggest mistake was my fixation on famous brands. I can't work any longer due to an accident, and I need to be more careful. What I miss are the things I mentioned, pre amps, who don't affect or change my guitar structure. 2 years ago, the market was still different, and yes, if I am walking in my toy shop like a little kid, it is, and will be always like that: DON'T OPEN YOUR WALLET. I just need, (what is need?) 3 things:
- a pre amp for acoustic guitars.
- a very high quality recording device, like ZOOM H4
- a device that allows me playing alone, with all the sounds I need. The BOSS MR MICRO, is a very good item I think. Plug it in, you have 300 rhythm patterns, follow those, combine it with a device like the ZOOM, connect it with your PC, sing (even real false), and the programs we have now, using our PC, can create 100 (my) voice into a choir, and I will be busy for hours, days and weeks.
To start talking again about money, it's a lot about making choices, and for sure in my condition now. You want that item, but it's 500$ more expensive? I don't drink, and if, I drink 5 beers in stead of 10, smoking: 5 cigarettes in stead of 10, I don't need expensive hotels, but I need comfort. A few years ago, no problem to go to high qualified and expensive restaurants, all these things, and a lot more did change. I also am in a position, I am divorced, but I don't have to pay, I have 1 daughter, almost 20, and NO MONEY ON THIS F*** PLANET will bring me back my health. BUT the most important thing is: I lived for 3, women, sex, cars, dream holidays. I've got it all and I admit today that in fact nothing is necessary (ok, eating, excluded). I had a few passions: like I said, women, going to eat (in restaurants, not for a big steak, you can make this at home), bitten by the music microbe, and loving to see movies. Funny: when I knew I couldn't work no more, I baught 1 thing: a very big 127cm plasma screen, and I considered that as a gift for my retirement. The older I get, the more I enjoy things, little things. I was obsessed by my job, I wrote 2 books, I was a very "die hard workaholic", neglecting all the REAL beautiful and important things, like watvching my daughter growing up. What's gone is gone, I had to start it all over, seeing the importance of real friends (if you have 2 real friends, you are blessed), and like already said, I enjoy the things I have, like family, kid, mams, brothers and sisters. And indeed, it would be a disaster for me if I was a fanatic sport lover, I prefer writing, making "cyber"friends (I am sure we'll meet each other one day), playing and composing music, not hiding myself longer behind the wall of work. I just wanted to tell, how bad you are physically, how depressed you are, there is still so many things. Don't loose HOPE, there will be sunshine after rain. I am able to tell for the first time in my life: I FEEL HAPPY.
SORRY, FOR THE ANSWER, I didn't mean to, but I am glad to talk about it, and if there is even only 1 person who recognise him/herself in this post, I am happy. My email address can be used, I always helped people (even by giving them (sometimes a lot) of money), and I love to discuss problems.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Doc!
I second most of what you say. When I wrote not rich I meant in money to spend on guitar stuff. My life is very rich otherwise. Beatiful and loving wife, 4 year old son and another one in wifes belly (4 months and only seen on ultra sound). Good and fairly well paid job (where I mostly manage on my 40 h a week and some rare nights/weekends). I still got my health (maybe a little to overweight, because i LOVE good food too, and I rather do some chords/scales than run in the woods...).

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...