Topic: I showed great restraint today. Self control on my part.

Went to Guitar Center for the Labor Day Sale.  Nothing was really calling me. Until I went to the acoustic room. Tried out a few and saw a Gretsch Single 0. It played like a dream. Was louder than all the other guitars I tried.  I put it back. I told Chris that I am trying to get room in my house. That isn`t how to do it. She knows I like Gretsch`s. She grabbed it and said she was going to buy it for me. I told her to put it back. I have plenty now. She insisted on buying it and I still said no. I don`t need another guitar in my house. There it is. I turned down a Gretsch. I turned down a Free Gretsch. I was actually proud of myself because I left it at the store. I have one less now because I sold one last night. Anyone that knows me knows that is a major accomplishment on my part.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: I showed great restraint today. Self control on my part.

Great job JX3 - The first step is acknowledge your addiction...

"I am Joey and I'm a guitaraholic" smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I took umbrage with the part that you have to admit that you are "powerless" against your addiction.... if that be the case, there is no cure OR recovery possible.  So you should just keep all your guitars !!  Besides when you get to the part where you have to find and seek forgiveness from those you may have hurt..... how are you planning to find that 14 year old kid who was scraping together all his bottle return money to buy that "one" you waltzed in and snagged off the Pawn shop wall ??  Not to mention being forgiven for shattering his dreams of becoming a "Rock Star" and dating Selena Gomez.....  big_smile    All in jest my Friend !!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

About three weeks ago I did the same thing. I was in a local music store and saw and played a really nice Taylor guitar. The sound  jumped out at me. I've worked with this store before and they gave me a great price on the last one. They did the same thing on this one. I told them I'd think about it . No pressure at all. I called them back and said I decided not to buy it. I have 3 other Taylor and 2 Martin acoustics. Did I need one more acoustic ?  Of course I did , but I was proud I didn't buy it.  A week later I came across an Orville by Gibson ES-335 and I bought it. Hey, it's an electric which I didn't have. I'll post pictures when I get one taken.
I'm Joe and I'm a Guitaraholic.

5 (edited by Phill Williams 2017-09-04 09:00:08)

We were walking through town when I spotted a cutaway electrified acoustic. I went in the shop and tried it. It didn't feel as good as the Tanglewood I eventually bought but her indoors guilted me saying you don't need another guitar! So I walked away....but that guitar was on my mind until I got the Tanglewood.

I must be a borderline guitaraholic?

Any chance of a wife swap JJJ? Just till I get a couple more guitars?

Edited to add... I'm only kidding, there's actually 4 I fancy

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

We were walking through town when I spotted a cutaway electrified acoustic. I went in the shop and tried it. It didn't feel as good as the Tanglewood I eventually bought but her indoors guilted me saying you don't need another guitar! So I walked away....but that guitar was on my mind until I got the Tanglewood.

I must be a borderline guitaraholic?

Any chance of a wife swap JJJ? Just till I get a couple more guitars?

Edited to add... I'm only kidding, there's actually 4 I fancy

This is crude and mean. Sure, I`ll do a wife swap. I can guarantee you total silence while you buy all the guitars your heart desires.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

So my strategy is - my wife won't notice if I just replace one of the older ones on the guitar stands with a new one and put the older one in a case out of sight for a while.  Then it's a month or so later and when asked - " hey did you buy a another new guitar?"  I just reply - "nah - i've had that one a while"   smile

I recall reading a couple of lines off some guitar T-shirts that go.....

" Go On - Buy it - you can always get another wife!"

or

Dear God
Now I lay me down to sleep , I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before I wake, please  don't let my wife sell the guitars for what I told her I paid for them! smile

But seriously - my wife is very understanding and as long its bought with money that I stashed from odd jobs I've done or coaching pay - she really doesn't care - besides that - the value of her shoes collection is more than my guitars I fancy.  smile

My biggest wish is that my guitar playing ability was equal to the quality of my guitars smile and heaven knows if it was - I too would be a true guitaraholic as well.
If guitar stores made a rule that you have demonstrate excellent ability before they could sell it to you I would be SOL ! smile

Cheers and good health to everyone

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-04 11:53:09)

TIGLJK wrote:

But seriously - my wife is very understanding and as long its bought with money that I stashed from odd jobs I've done or coaching pay - she really doesn't care - besides that - the value of her shoes collection is more than my guitars I fancy.  smile

Good strategy, TIG ... my wife and I do the same thing for our hobbies. If it's $$$ earned "on the side" it can be spent on guitars, fishing gear, horse tack, kayak stuff, dollhouse miniature supplies, etc., etc., etc. Everyone's happy!

All that aside...

The very notion that our beloved JJJ would turn down a FREE GUITAR has my internal wiring shorting out. Are you well? Do you need to see a doctor? I've always thought that G.A.S. was incurable, but you may have a medical breakthrough that needs a patent! lol

Another moment of restraint. We were coming back from a car show today. I drove by the Guitar Center in Natick, Mass. I have never done that. I just don`t feel a need to buy anymore lately.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Check your temperature and white blood cell count JX3. I'm worried about you. :-)

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Next time you should get the guitar and hold a Chordie raffle to benefit the charity of your choosing.  Or just mail me the guitar.