Topic: The ads have ruined this website.

Just logged on & tried to go through some songbooks, but there is an ad video at the top and bottom of the page that insist on playing. I get one to stop, but a minute later, it starts again, or the other one starts. Then, the page starts jumping around, and wont stay in one place. Any page is constantly " waiting for ads to load". This website has become a disappointment, unless someone can tell me how to get it to stop being a cesspool of aggressive advertising that makes it utterly useless...

Re: The ads have ruined this website.

forrestm wrote:

unless someone can tell me how to get it to stop being a cesspool of aggressive advertising that makes it utterly useless...

Well, you could write to the owner of the site and ask him to make it a subscription based format. Then you could just pay a monthly fee to help keep it running.

It is not that I object to advertising. i understand the need for it to keep an otherwise free site running. It is the fact that I cannot keep the page from abruptly shifting to the bottom of the page, and hence the video ad, while I am in the middle of playing a song.  Advertising is fine, but when it nullifies being able to use the website it inhabits, I am at a loss to understand why it is allowed. I love Chordie, and have used it for many years, but if it is no longer going to be usable due to ads that hijack the page, I may sadly have to find another website that is still functional in its purpose. Please do not take this as a rant, but as a heartfelt plea to review the techniques that some of your advertisers employ that make your service very frustrating, if not impossible, to use....

What kind of device are you using??  I can only see the top banner (and only when I disable ad block) and at least on my monitor the ads are not inhibiting my ability to view the full text of any page.  I could easily see that on a "phablet" or somesuch it would be not so good.... but then again why would I with my eyesight want to use Chordie on a tiny screen?
Try one of the ad blocking plug-ins and see if that will get you the whole page.  To the best of my knowledge the space allowed for ad content is restrained to try to keep them from ruining the ability to use the features on the pages, and if that is not the case, then you do need to submit a screenshot of the troubled page and a good explaination of what settings you are using on your monitor to Admin for investigation and adjustment to the page formatting.

I'm running Win 10 with Google Chrome on a 27" monitor at default resoulution.  Adblock Plus and Ghostery.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Ad block is a free chrome addon  for your browser it works! give it a try

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hmmm, interesting, personally I download the chordpro versions of the songs, then put them in a central location, from there I use SongSheet Generator (Free/donationware: http://tenbyten.com/software/songsgen/) on my Mac and PC to fix them up, then use my iPad with OnSong (Occasionally free) to view them at Jam nights ...

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

I never see any of that stuff - i have some ads around the edges - but they do not infringe in any way.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I usually use Firefox  with  ADBlock Plus  and also have Google Chrome with the same ABP. I I also use Duck Duck Go as my default browser in both. It is a good search and it does not track you at all. I use in both Firefox and Chrome too.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I am using a laptop with Windows 10, Chrome browser, and am going to install Adblock immediately. Thanks for the advice, folks. If this works, I owe you one.

Woohoo! It works! Yup, Adblock is the real deal. Thanks, everyone, for helping one very frustrated old guitar player. I truly love this website, and am glad I am able to use it once more. Like I said, folks, I owe you one!

Glad it worked out, Chordie likes keeping members smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi every one

Stop looking for happiness in the same place you just lost it