Topic: Clapton, Hearing Protection

Just saw a  news story that Clapton has said he's going deaf and has really bad tinnitus. I searched some of his stage photos and saw zero use of hearing protection in any of his photos.

Do you all use hearing protection, either while playing or while attending concerts? If so, what type?

I have some of those custom molded jobbies that reduce volume but don't muffle sounds, so they work great. Plus they increase my ability to hear my head voice, which is always a bonus.

Re: Clapton, Hearing Protection

WHAT?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I don't play loud enough to warrant using plugs these days though I do suffer with tinnitus, I put that down to working in noisey factories for twenty odd years obviously the rock bands during the 70s had nothing to do with it?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Zurf wrote:

WHAT?

lol lol lol

Like Phill, I usually don't usually play loud enough to need plugs, and play more acoustic than electric. Having tube amps with a power soak circuit really helps, to dial in a nicely saturated tone without high volume. However, I do a fair bit of wood-working with power tools, and use quality hearing and eye protection at all times. High speed motors (thickness planer, jointer, router, etc.) produce high frequencies than can do a lot of damage.

Yup

front row at concerts and headphones through the 1970's in college at full blast, power tools as an adult

too late for me -  now i am protective, but my hearing stinks - tinnitus club for me as well !

Zurf - that was so sadly comical.  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I don't know anything about this tinnitus stuff,  I just wonder why locusts always seem to be following me .    smile

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Buncha comedians this morning smile

Baldguitardude wrote:

Buncha comedians this morning smile

smile

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

I have significant hearing loss in both ears and I wear hearing aids at work, but I never like to use them when I play and sing. It messes me up for some reason. Kind of makes me sound different from I'm used to hearing without the aids. I remember back when I was much more active at open mics a few years ago. I would always drive home at the end of the night with my ears ringing due to some of the performers really playing loud. I am sure my hearing got worse for that experience but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

I work with chainsaws and an industrial wood chipper and I always wear ear plugs at work. But playing or at concerts; Nope.

jets60 wrote:

my hearing got worse for that experience but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

This.

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Tenement Funster wrote:

Like Phill, I usually don't usually play loud enough to need plugs, and play more acoustic than electric. Having tube amps with a power soak circuit really helps, to dial in a nicely saturated tone without high volume. However, I do a fair bit of wood-working with power tools, and use quality hearing and eye protection at all times. High speed motors (thickness planer, jointer, router, etc.) produce high frequencies than can do a lot of damage.

I was a health and safety guy when I was working in a factory and attended many hearing courses so as it turns out deep bass notes, sounds or machine rumbles cause more damage to hearing though high frequencies are as bad. Imagine how the kids of today with their 200 watt speakers in the boot (trunk) of their car will fare when they get into their 60's?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Dirty Ed wrote:

I don't know anything about this tinnitus stuff,  I just wonder why locusts always seem to be following me .    smile

Good one DE,  the one thing I  miss the most is the sound of silence.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Hearing loss.....?  Yeah I suppose so, a little (just ask my wife).  In younger years always wore headphones, especially when working the "sound board" (mixer) at concerts etc.  Mostly so I could switch between sources and balance the output better, and it might have "saved" me a little.  Later I used in ear noise cancelling monitors, because I couldn't hear myself in the mix.

Then I got older and my draft number came up low, Artillery and gunfire (much of it my own) knocked the top out of my range of hearing, but I still use muffs whenever running anything that makes more than about 75 db, power tools and such.  Too much "loud" gives me headaches, and most of my own music making is acoustic so making the best out of what's left.  For the young folks out there, use protection always..... for your hearing too!  Mess up and eventually it will bite you.....  big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Phill Williams wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

I was a health and safety guy when I was working in a factory and attended many hearing courses so as it turns out deep bass notes, sounds or machine rumbles cause more damage to hearing though high frequencies are as bad. Imagine how the kids of today with their 200 watt speakers in the boot (trunk) of their car will fare when they get into their 60's?

Didn't know that about low-freq sound, Phill ... thanks. And I "hear" you about the kids with the big sub-woofers in their cars. Sometimes you can see their windows vibrating with the beat, so that can't be good for their l'il ol' eardrums.

17 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-01-13 19:37:30)

Tinnitus it is hell at night the ringing in the ears when your tired and trying  to get some sleep, Fortunately for me after a few years I woke up one morning and the ringing had stopped.

Peatle
OMG   you are so fortunate - wish that would happen to me

I can hear fine, except the tinnitus covers/muffles the low sounds so watching tv is like ---- well the volume is up !  smile  Just ask my wife.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Peatle
OMG   what the heck did you eat that night ?
you are so fortunate - wish that would happen to me

I can hear fine, except the tinnitus covers/muffles the low sounds so watching tv is like ---- well the volume is up !  smile  Just ask my wife.

20 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-01-13 21:28:38)

TIG the last time I had my hearing checked I had fifty percent hearing in one ear and normal hearing for my age in the other ear. I have no idea why my tinnitus cleared I just thank God it did. Every now and the it returns in short burst but usually I am ok. After I have been on a aeroplane  flight it usually returns for a short while then clears up. Maree complains that I turn the Radio and TV up  too loud. What Maree hears as noise I hear as music.