We have a date, now the plans....

When:  August 11th
Where: MekidsFamily's backyard in Central NY State
Who:  Local and Chordie Friends

What:
Backyard style gathering - "campfire style"
Acoustic Guitars
Food on the grill
Bon Fire (Jim totally burnt down the barn, so no more insane fires... I don't think)
Kid Friendly
Tent Friendly
Boat/Yak/Canoe Friendly

We'll do one day and evening dedicated as a backyard relaxed party (Saturday).  This means that if you live close please feel free to bring a dish, everyone BYOB (and we'll have some drinks to share as well) and a lawn chair if you are able (coolers make great seats).  Bring your guitar or instrument of choice if you are able (or share, there's plenty of them here)!  Bring along the kids if you'd like (but keep an eye on them - we live on a main road without a fence).  Bring along warmer clothing for the evening (or stand within 10 feet of the fire for warmth).  Should it rain, we'll move to the wrap around porch or inside.  Jim and I will provide food (Possibilities include: NY Salt Potatoes, NY Sweet Corn, burgers, dogs, sausage, maybe some chili, SMOKED PULLED PORK, the best tater salad you've ever had in your life, fresh fruit, homemade cookies perhaps, good yummy stuff, etc).

Note:  When I say, NY I do not live anywhere near New York City.  This is rural, Upstate NY.  We live in the central part of NY State halfway between Syracuse and Utica.  Send me a message for the specific address.  Look up Oneida Lake, you can walk to it from my home, on the North Shore.

Of COURSE those traveling should plan to stay for the weekend and if you'd like to stay longer, we'd LOVE to have you!  I'll be planning Vacation time from the Wednesday before the party to the Wednesday after the party.

The yard is plenty large enough to set up tents.  There are also tons of nearby NY State Campgrounds (as well as private ones).  There are motels close, and Hotels close enough.  As we're a stone's throw from Oneida lake, there are also tons of summer camps to rent for a week or a weekend nearby.  We do have a little bit of space inside - a couch to crash on, however we have hardwood floors so crashing on a floor may not be a best plan unless you bring along a pad or blow up mattress (we have ONE).  All are more than welcome to make their-selves at home inside! 

Along with one day of an outdoor party, we'll do a few days of just relaxed picking, strumming, or helping you find cool things to see depending on the turn out of course.  Nearby are streams, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, nature trails, and historic sites.  The girls and I took Roger on a hike down the Salmon River Falls the year he came.  The Boxing Hall of Fame and Baseball Hall of Fame are within driving distance as well.  The Adirondacks are about a 1 1/2 hour drive, Niagara Falls is about a 3 hour drive from here, and New York City is about 5.  If you want to come up and join us and go off wandering and exploring, I'll have dinner on the table for you when you get back... Jim likes to fry up bacon and eggs for breakfast... as those that have been here in the past know, the coffee is always on early in the morning, and hugs from the littlest are free and often.  Come visit and join us for a little in person Chordie Family Style Gathering!

The closest airport is SYR.  For more specific details, shoot me an email.

This first post has been edited to add all the fancy details
The thread for 2017 BYG is located here:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32232
The thread for 2016 BYG is located here:  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=29491

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: BYG - Aug 11, 2018

July 21st.  I`m planning on being there. Nothing is etched in concrete yet.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

July 21st I'll probably be on the road returning from a week-long float on the John Day River in Oregon. August would work better for me.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

August works better for me too. I'm pretty busy with work in July.

Either or. I`m pretty flexible. I`m joeyjoeyjoey.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Can you let Chris know?? We are trying to get the house we did before. She wasn`t too keen about the Motel Hell. Lol. I explained that we were safe from Zombie attacks there. If we get attacked by Zombies, she will only have herself to blame.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

The first and most important thing is that I just noticed Jx3's new title, and I approve of that message.

Secondly, my life is so upside-down, I don't know whether July or August is better, and I'm just a little confused about which comes first.  I'm away from home pretty much all of March, so it will either take some serious brownie points to get me to BYG this year, or days spent with my funny little honey at New York finger lakes wineries.  I think Sonya would enjoy herself at one of these gatherings, but it would probably top her list of "most redneck things I've done." Especially if Jim is in charge of the fire. City girl, you know.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Especially if Jim is in charge of the fire. City girl, you know.

Jim can certainly cook up a fire. But with the barn gone, I'm not sure he could ever top the fire of 2015. Probably the biggest campfire I've ever been to.

There you went and did it !!  He'll be dragging all the winter windfall up to the yard and piling it higher than the eaves, just because you said so.  big_smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

unclejoesband wrote:
Zurf wrote:

Especially if Jim is in charge of the fire. City girl, you know.

Jim can certainly cook up a fire. But with the barn gone, I'm not sure he could ever top the fire of 2015. Probably the biggest campfire I've ever been to.

I well remember that fire:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4792/40741597242_b672b53cd9_b.jpg

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I remember thinking  "Wow! We could roast a Brontosaurus on that fire!"

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Yep. That's the fire!  smile

Good lord. Now that's a fire.

14 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-03-13 20:03:30)

That'swhere my garage went ... gotcha!!! lol Reading through the above posts, and having been sober since 1979, it's probably just as well I'm too far away to attend. I hope every can get some music into the packed agenda. big_smile

Ok, since we've got a few stating August works better... AUGUST IT IS!  Make those plans, rent those cabins... or stay with the Zombie Team at the motel... or sleep on the couch... or blow up mattress... or pitch a tent! 

We'll see ya'll in August, and I didn't forget that there needs to be a GIANT CAKE with sparklers for UJB and Chris!  wink

16 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2018-03-14 13:12:24)

I may end up a solo act after this trip. Lol. A looooong ride ahead. You may find this hard to believe. There are some people that find me to be kind of irritating.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

The first post has been updated with all the fancy shmancy details!  wink  Same as before, only this year a week later.  We Look forward to seeing those of you that can make it!  While the barn is totally gone, I've been piling up winter dead-fall for a few years now.  There's some good dry wood out there.  I don't think we're likely to have another fire like THAT one year. 

JJJ - I do hope Chris can make it, although understand if she can't for reasons... including needing to NOT be stuck on a long trip with you twice in one year.  LOL!  Just remind her that I didn't forget about that cake!

UJB - We'll need to figure out some new method of recording things so there's not so much wind noise.  Editing all those videos was just... apparently... far too big a task for me from last year with my hectic schedule.  I deffo need to take a few more videos and pictures myself this year too.  Or, maybe we'll just get lucky and it won't be breezy (though, the breeze is nice to keep the bugs away). 

TF - I promise, we don't get THAT crazy all the time.  For the most part, it's pretty chill and relaxed.  The one year, Jim just... went a teeny bit overboard with his enjoyment of getting rid of the last of the old barn.  LOL! 

My FAVORITE thing about BYG?  Getting to chit chat with those that I now consider old friends, and getting a wider taste of different guitar playing styles!

mekidsmom wrote:

My FAVORITE thing about BYG?  Getting to chit chat with those that I now consider old friends, and getting a wider taste of different guitar playing styles!

And being able to close out your workweek when I roll in around 1:00 on Friday afternoon. smile

We made a reservation. I was having second thoughts about going. We will be there.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

We made a reservation. I was having second thoughts about going. We will be there.

Cool! See you there. smile

I guess there are 2 milestone birthdays coming. At least I can rib Chris by saying how I am still in my 50s. I can do that. I`m joeyjoeyjoey. Lol

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Hey all!  I've got some fantastic news!  This year, MKD has decided that I finally get the patio I've been dreaming of the past 10+ years! 

At the moment, it's just a dug out dirt pit... but come August, we should have a nice FLAT place to sit with a few less bugs and plenty of room for the sun canopy tents with a 'normal' sized firepit close enough.  Home ownership is difficult, it seems like it takes forever to get things done.  Truth is though, it takes a lot of money and time to keep up with things that need fixed and to add on the extras.  I'm excited though that things are coming along, and we'll all have a nicer place to relax.  Don't worry... there's still plenty of space for camping tents (I promise, MKD will not turn the ENTIRE yard into patio... but sometimes it feels like he's getting close!  LOL).

Excited to see those of you that will be able to make it here in August!  If you are thinking of coming, but need more details on exact location... drop me an email!  mekidsmom AT gmail DOT com!  big_smile

Is the patio coming off the entire width of the back of the house?

unclejoesband wrote:

Is the patio coming off the entire width of the back of the house?

While we all know MKD very well, you would expect that!  ha ha ha!  Not quite, but it is deffo going to be BIGGER than the average patio.  Go big or go home?  LOL!

Pavers for the patio ordered!  We COULD have it in before the party... or at least some of it.  ONE MONTH!!!!