Topic: Where Are You When A Song Idea Hits You?

Can it happen anywehere, anytime?

For me, yes. For instance this morning (Sunday) I was taking a shower, when I started humming "We're going  to church this morning....... we go there once a week....... trying just to stay awake and hear the preacher speak."

Silly I know but that's how it starts usually - just a comment on the day, plans with Dondra and just..... stuff......

You?

Bill

PS: We're back from church and I did manage to stay awake. smile 

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Where Are You When A Song Idea Hits You?

I get ideas anywhere and everywhere. The shower like you did, but many times times driving to and from work.  I'll also get ideas while I am at work, at home, eating a meal, sometimes when I'm getting ready for bed, and other random moments throughout the day. When I first started writing songs, I would leave myself messages on my phone, usually driving to or from work, that I would listen to later and try and figure out what the idea was. I don't do that any more since it got to be frustrating when I was unable to figure out what the heck I was thinking when I left the message.  smile     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2018-09-24 06:49:05)

I usually find if I try and write a song it doesn't work. When a song comes to me it usually happens at the most unexpected of times.  A few years back  i woke up in the middle of the night went to the piano hit record on my cell phone and recorded a song that came to me in a dream. Next day I actually I forgot about it until going through my phone and  I found I had this recording on there and thought hey I will put that on soundcloud which I did.. Very rare for me to get lyrics and music together usually I get one before the other.     I try and carry a pen and paper with me as most of my song ideas hit when I am out and about and there isn't a guitar or piano in sight.  Many of my song  ideas come from things people say when I am out.

In the shower. On the thunder jug. Or as I wake up. Words and tune hit me but by the time I get to writing them down....their gone or just don't make any sense!
It's dangerous for me to go noodle on the guitar as I may hit a rhythm or strum a chord sequence which I'll play over and over until some words come. If I don't record it straight away, the next time I try to play it, it will be totally different or just sound not right. That's why my phone and my camera and my tablet are almost full of bits of unfinished songs     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The last one i wrote I was sitting in a restaurant.

Like Phill- I will see or hear something and say to myself that has the makings of a song.
I have all sorts of notes to myself on my phone.

As you know - most of my stuff revolves around emotions and life's happenstances.
I agree with Peatle - trying to write a song - ir really difficult and usually sub par or downright crappy.

Lastly - as Phill said - sometimes i just get a hord progression going from sitting on my porch and just relaxing - and some line pops in my head - and it just grows from there.
I suppose if I could actually sing or play well it would be a lot easier.

Great topic  Bill

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I read somewhere that when you are doing menial tasks - showering, driving, getting ready for work etc where your concious mind is just 'going through the motions', this is the time your subconcious will start to write a song.

For me it has been the items above, plus dreams, especially when I'm down with a cold and my mind is hyper-active, but my body is suffering - they're usually fairly lucid dreams too, I try and capture them on paper, but a day or two later the words can be lost ...

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Some of my stuff comes from dreams. I once kept a notepad by my bed so if I woke up and the dream of the song was still intact, I'd quickly makes some notes, turn over and go back to sleep - hoping to get back into the dream if it was a good one, dreading getting back into it if it was a bad one.

Next morning, I'd wake up - remembering that I had written this down, open the notepad, look at it and say to myself, "What in the _____ is this_____????" smile

Only partially kidding. That would happen sometimes. Most of the other times I could get a verse or two written. I've only ever completed maybe two songs from dreams.

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Some of my stuff comes from dreams. I once kept a notepad by my bed so if I woke up and the dream of the song was still intact, I'd quickly makes some notes, turn over and go back to sleep - hoping to get back into the dream if it was a good one, dreading getting back into it if it was a bad one.

Next morning, I'd wake up - remembering that I had written this down, open the notepad, look at it and say to myself, "What in the _____ is this_____????" smile

Only partially kidding. That would happen sometimes. Most of the other times I could get a verse or two written. I've only ever completed maybe two songs from dreams.

Man in the Glass cage was written entirely from a dream/nightmare ...     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, singer ]-
Bandcamp     https://richardmortimer.bandcamp.com/follow_me
Discogs          https://www.discogs.com/release/29065579
YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/@RichardMortimerMusic

Great topic, Bill ... as always!

I don't write songs, but have written hundreds of poems over the years. An inspiration for one usually hits me when I'm "coming down" from an extremely emotional episode of some kind. Some are good, and some aren't too bad, and some are crap that never sees the light of day. The two emotions which are most common in the writing process are gratitude and anger, bringing out the best or worst in my nature.

Regarding your preacher story, I once heard of a pastor who caused a man to nod off, and the preacher asked the person sitting next him to give him a nudge and wake him up. The reply was: "You put him to sleep; you wake him up!" big_smile     

When im out walking or just wake up,on when i hear or see something around me. Or when i play around with chords. I sing or wistle on to my phone whereever i am.     

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!