Topic: Disaster

I was reaching for something and my Les Paul fell forward off the stand and the neck snapped. I just stared at it for a second or two I was kind of in shock so I picked it up and calmly took off the strings and removed the tuners it looks to be a very clean break and repairable so I gave Sweetwater Music a call and spoke with one of there repair dudes the estimated cost for re-gluing the neck and refinishing was around $350.00 so decision time: Do I let a pro do the work or have a friend who is an excellent woodcraft and furniture repairman do the work? opinions, please. signed totally disgusted. sad 

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

Hi Russ, sorry to hear about your tragedy. Is it feasible or cheaper to replace it with a new neck? Maybe not an original? If so would it still hold a special place in your heart? I'm sure you'll get it right.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Disaster

It is not a bolt on neck so either way it has to be glued either at the point of the break or removing the neck from the body which is impossible for me or anyone without the experience to do and most likely cost a small fortune so since the break is really clean I think I will opt to glue the headstock back thanks for the suggestion. smile

Phill Williams wrote:

Hi Russ, sorry to hear about your tragedy. Is it feasible or cheaper to replace it with a new neck? Maybe not an original? If so would it still hold a special place in your heart? I'm sure you'll get it right.

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

I'd get the repair dude to do it lespauls have a solid neck not like a fender which bolts on   .I presume it's the head stockists snapped off .The repair guy will understand what needs to be done rather than trust it to your friend who although it an experienced wood worker isn't a luthier . Hope you get it sorted Russell.     

Re: Disaster

For a neck break, I'd go pro ...     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, poor singer ]-
My songs             http://neophytte.mine.nu/audio/
My Soundcloud   https://soundcloud.com/neophytte1
My YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnDpTAPTUE&list=PLhpGn51pPqN6q8kmuORnuWcAXRF1_b1zV

Re: Disaster

Understood, I am waiting on a quote from Gibson Repairs in Nashville for repair or replacing the neck.

Grah1 wrote:

I'd get the repair dude to do it lespauls have a solid neck not like a fender which bolts on   .I presume it's the head stockists snapped off .The repair guy will understand what needs to be done rather than trust it to your friend who although it an experienced wood worker isn't a luthier . Hope you get it sorted Russell.

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

will have to wait and see what Gibsons says as to the cost for repair or replace smile

neophytte wrote:

For a neck break, I'd go pro ...

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

Hi Russ a student of mine had his Ibanez damaged though flying it from Sweden without loosening the strings and he gave it to me to break for spares.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1918/44417148704_d942c7b6dc_z.jpg

As you can see from the last two pictures I surprised him by returning it two weeks later. The wood filler in the neck could well be a natural colouration and the damage on the front of the headstock was hidden by a false truss rod plate.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1964/44417148874_959f51ac73_z.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1932/44417148384_b4f270db0e_z.jpg

He said it played better than it had before and threatened to break a couple more that he had (I had done little work on the action smile) and he is still using it 8 years later.

Roger     

Re: Disaster

Nice work Roger I have a friend who is really good at this if needed so I'll have options if Gibson wants a ton to fix it smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Russ a student of mine had his Ibanez damaged though flying it from Sweden without loosening the strings and he gave it to me to break for spares.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1918/44417148704_d942c7b6dc_z.jpg

As you can see from the last two pictures I surprised him by returning it two weeks later. The wood filler in the neck could well be a natural colouration and the damage on the front of the headstock was hidden by a false truss rod plate.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1964/44417148874_959f51ac73_z.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1932/44417148384_b4f270db0e_z.jpg

He said it played better than it had before and threatened to break a couple more that he had (I had done little work on the action smile) and he is still using it 8 years later.

Roger

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

What a horrible thing to witness, Russell ... can't imagine how you must have felt "in the moment". My own take on this would be to get the most competent available person to repair it, instead of trying to save a few $$$. Good move on your part to contact Gibson.

I didn't see in the thread exactly where the break happened? Headstock? body joint? midway?     

11 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-10-08 11:18:46)

Re: Disaster

Russell
I did same thing on my Epiphone LP - had a guy fix it and although the cosmetics weren't perfect - it played just as well as when new.
and on a side note - I almost replicated your move yesterday.... I was reaching for something and bumped my stand - it went over - but fortunately landed on the dog bedding and softened the blow. WHEW !

Hope it all works out for you

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

12 (edited by Russell_Harding 2018-10-08 12:45:07)

Re: Disaster

The break was right at the headstock where the nut is and extended to the end of the plate that covers the truss rod and if Gibsons quote is overpriced I can let Sweetwater repair shop do the work and they will also refinish the headstock and part of the neck for a very reasonable cost

Tenement Funster wrote:

What a horrible thing to witness, Russell ... can't imagine how you must have felt "in the moment". My own take on this would be to get the most competent available person to repair it, instead of trying to save a few $$$. Good move on your part to contact Gibson.

I didn't see in the thread exactly where the break happened? Headstock? body joint? midway?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

Jim Good thing you didn't repeat my screw up and the best place for a Gibson is in the case when not in use 

TIGLJK wrote:

Russell
I did same thing on my Epiphone LP - had a guy fix it and although the cosmetics weren't perfect - it played just as well as when new.
and on a side note - I almost replicated your move yesterday.... I was reaching for something and bumped my stand - it went over - but fortunately landed on the dog bedding and softened the blow. WHEW !

Hope it all works out for you

Jim

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

That has got be heartbreaking,  if that had happened to one of mine I'd be cutting loose with a string of cuss words for a week.  I use tite-bond glue when working on boats above the waterline and it holds well, as long as you aren't using the Gibson under water it's going to hold.     

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Re: Disaster

I stopped using cuss words they don't help for me but it felt like when I am playing chess and I think I made a good move and my opponent takes my queen caus I wasn't paying attention Titebond is about the best and they do make a waterproof version. Gibson emailed me today and told me there were in the process of moving all there inventory and equipment to another factory location and it wont be until November till there up and running so I contacted Sweetwater repair shop and we came to an agreement so I am waiting on FedX to pick up my case.

bluejeep wrote:

That has got be heartbreaking,  if that had happened to one of mine I'd be cutting loose with a string of cuss words for a week.  I use tite-bond glue when working on boats above the waterline and it holds well, as long as you aren't using the Gibson under water it's going to hold.

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

Russell_Harding wrote:

The break was right at the headstock where the nut is and extended to the end of the plate that covers the truss rod and if Gibsons quote is overpriced I can let Sweetwater repair shop do the work and they will also refinish the headstock and part of the neck for a very reasonable cost

Tenement Funster wrote:

What a horrible thing to witness, Russell ... can't imagine how you must have felt "in the moment". My own take on this would be to get the most competent available person to repair it, instead of trying to save a few $$$. Good move on your part to contact Gibson.

I didn't see in the thread exactly where the break happened? Headstock? body joint? midway?

Bad spot for a break, eh? When I put the StetsBar tremolo on my Epiphone Les Paul, the guy at our local L&M Music Store recommended locking tuners as opposed to a locking nut. He said that Les Paul's were known for having a weak headstock, and even drilling a couple of holes in it would make it weaker. I hope you can get yours up and singing again soon.     

Re: Disaster

Me too, It seems Gibson repair facility is in the middle of moving to another building and they are not taking repair orders for another month so I contacted Sweetwater Music and they will take care of it and a fraction of the cost.

Tenement Funster wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

The break was right at the headstock where the nut is and extended to the end of the plate that covers the truss rod and if Gibsons quote is overpriced I can let Sweetwater repair shop do the work and they will also refinish the headstock and part of the neck for a very reasonable cost

Tenement Funster wrote:

What a horrible thing to witness, Russell ... can't imagine how you must have felt "in the moment". My own take on this would be to get the most competent available person to repair it, instead of trying to save a few $$$. Good move on your part to contact Gibson.

I didn't see in the thread exactly where the break happened? Headstock? body joint? midway?

Bad spot for a break, eh? When I put the StetsBar tremolo on my Epiphone Les Paul, the guy at our local L&M Music Store recommended locking tuners as opposed to a locking nut. He said that Les Paul's were known for having a weak headstock, and even drilling a couple of holes in it would make it weaker. I hope you can get yours up and singing again soon.

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

18 (edited by Russell_Harding 2018-10-11 18:48:57)

Re: Disaster

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43828753_10217701781355055_7489810033736155136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&oh=0887dad537d2c5589e7947a03a17aaba&oe=5C5163C5 
I decided to do the job myself
Another shot it still needs 24 hrs to set maybe a tad more
https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/43681824_10217701778274978_6993271012129243136_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&oh=38fca37686a3120e9d7d0c7ad6ead886&oe=5C50F184

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

Good on you for taking the time and effort Russell !!  smile  those newer PVA glues are so far superior to the good old "Elmer's" we used to have (and those bonds were stronger than the wood you applied it to), that if you have clean wood on wood contact and good clamping you should be able to do as well as anyone else out there.  Not to mention that you have an investment in doing it as well as possible, as opposed to just "punching a job card" and hoping for the best. 

Look forward to seeing the end result and your comments on how well it turned out !     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Re: Disaster

That's great - one word of advice; use either cardboard or thin wood shims wherer your clamps touch the guitar - it can save from messy indents on your axe (although it may be a case like Mater in "Cars 3" where his dents were part of his personality ... )

Cheers

Richard     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, poor singer ]-
My songs             http://neophytte.mine.nu/audio/
My Soundcloud   https://soundcloud.com/neophytte1
My YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnDpTAPTUE&list=PLhpGn51pPqN6q8kmuORnuWcAXRF1_b1zV

Re: Disaster

Thanks Doug I used Titebond this is one strong glue and most professionals use it I have no doubt it will stay together I will be using a paste polish with grit to smoom out the surface and a power tool with a buffing wheel once it is smooth I will use a paste and polish it also a stain to mask the section on the bottom of the neck so theres still some work before I put the tuners on and string it up.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Good on you for taking the time and effort Russell !!  smile  those newer PVA glues are so far superior to the good old "Elmer's" we used to have (and those bonds were stronger than the wood you applied it to), that if you have clean wood on wood contact and good clamping you should be able to do as well as anyone else out there.  Not to mention that you have an investment in doing it as well as possible, as opposed to just "punching a job card" and hoping for the best. 

Look forward to seeing the end result and your comments on how well it turned out !

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

I am not to worried about any indentations as the clams are designed to not leave any looking forward to putting on the strings and cranking it.

neophytte wrote:

That's great - one word of advice; use either cardboard or thin wood shims wherer your clamps touch the guitar - it can save from messy indents on your axe (although it may be a case like Mater in "Cars 3" where his dents were part of his personality ... )

Cheers

Richard

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Disaster

Russell_Harding wrote:

I am not to worried about any indentations as the clams are designed to not leave any looking forward to putting on the strings and cranking it.

neophytte wrote:

That's great - one word of advice; use either cardboard or thin wood shims wherer your clamps touch the guitar - it can save from messy indents on your axe (although it may be a case like Mater in "Cars 3" where his dents were part of his personality ... )

I was wondering what you were doing with clams ... until the penny dropped ...

http://www.fish2go.com.sg/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/fish2go_asari_clams_2.jpg     

-[ Musician, writer, guitarist, poor singer ]-
My songs             http://neophytte.mine.nu/audio/
My Soundcloud   https://soundcloud.com/neophytte1
My YouTube         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHnDpTAPTUE&list=PLhpGn51pPqN6q8kmuORnuWcAXRF1_b1zV

Re: Disaster

I'll add to Russell's endorsement of Titebond glue ... excellent product!

The polyurethane stuff is also very good (LePage's PL Premium) but it has that annoying habit of expanding out through ones work, and can be very hard to remove without damaging the wood underneath.     

Re: Disaster

Oops lol

neophytte wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

I am not to worried about any indentations as the clams are designed to not leave any looking forward to putting on the strings and cranking it.

neophytte wrote:

That's great - one word of advice; use either cardboard or thin wood shims wherer your clamps touch the guitar - it can save from messy indents on your axe (although it may be a case like Mater in "Cars 3" where his dents were part of his personality ... )

I was wondering what you were doing with clams ... until the penny dropped ...

http://www.fish2go.com.sg/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/i/fish2go_asari_clams_2.jpg

     

"Growing old is not for sissies"