Topic: What System Do You Normally Use

Do you normally use Chords, Riffs, or Nashville Numbering? Here is a link to Nashville Numbering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_number_system 

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: What System Do You Normally Use

I tend to do a lot of transposing so I try to think in roman numeral notation. G - Em - C - D becomes I vi IV V and from there I can put it in any key.

I teach and arrange using Nashville because of the easy application to jam band music. It's easy to tell someone to sit on the 4 and then play 4, b3 and b7 to go from one song to another.

I read standard notation infrequently but was pleasantly surprised the other day when I was under the gun during a gig and was given 5 new pieces of music at downbeat. I had to sight-read the melody vocal and chord charts at the same time. I only stumbled two or three times in the hour-long gig, but that was due to modulations and a couple melodies that were way out of my vocal range. I was pretty pleased with myself! smile     

Thank you and very informative.  I know a couple of bass players that also use Nashville. One of them plays with a band and I know all  them. They use Nashville because one of them remembers numbers and not chords or riffs.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

With a working knowledge of theory, Nashville numbering is much easier. It's also the standard language of jam nights. "Play a 1-6-2-5 in Bb, hit the 4 on the bridge" sort of thing...     

Wow ... how'd I never hear of Nashville Numbering before? I just went through the Wikipedia article, and it's definitely worthy of deeper investigation. Thanks for the topic, CG, and the extra info, BGD.     

Tenement Funster wrote:

Wow ... how'd I never hear of Nashville Numbering before? I just went through the Wikipedia article, and it's definitely worthy of deeper investigation. Thanks for the topic, CG, and the extra info, BGD.

It's a tonic for all that ails you in music theory.

Sorry, musician dad joke.