1 (edited by TIGLJK 2018-12-31 15:53:44)

Topic: Song: Now She Sleeps alone

Now, She Sleeps Alone  by  Jim Kenyon

At first I  couldn’t think of any musical way to change

the chords for the chorus.

So I just played the same sequence all the way through.

after waking up this morning - I changed it a bit so it has a chorus now with the chord sequence just a bit different.

I wrote it about a special circumstance, but I think it could fit a lot of stories

also - I changed the title  smile

Verse 1

[Am]There’s things that happen [Dm] in this life

which [Am] bring sorrow to your [E]soul

[Am]Things you’ll never [Dm]understand

And [E] things you can’t con[Am]trol

Chorus

[Dm] I know a girl as cold as ice

She [Am]has a heart of stone

She [E]never cries, she never smiles

and [Dm]now she [E]sleeps a[Am]lone

Verse 2

[Am]She once was my [Dm]own true love

and[Am] then she slipped [E]away

Oh [Am]such a caring [Dm]heart she had

I still [E]love her to this [Am]day

[Dm] [Am] [ E ] [Am]

[Dm] [Am] [ E ] [Am]

Verse 3

[Am]Her smile lit up [Dm]every room

But [Am]now that light is [E]gone

With[Am] hair so soft and [Dm]voice so sweet

lost [E] ‘tween darkness and the[Am] dawn

Chorus

Verse 4

[Am]It seems as though the [Dm]sun should shine

and [Am]take away the [E] pain

My [Am]life, it seems so[Dm] empty now

and all I[E] feel is bitter [Am] rain

Chorus

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Song: Now She Sleeps alone

Hi Jim ive writen a few with a repeating chord structure as long as the melody changes for the chorus or the arrangment in this songs case being all verses its ok. Good song. ive known a few women with a heart of stone.     

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!

Another fine song, TIG ... a cold heart is a symptom of deeper troubles ... you've got it all in this one.     

TF 
Thanks for the kind words of support.

CTECH -as you can now see I just had to go back and put chorus differently - it was just bothering me. I'm not sure it made it better - but just sits better with me.

I appreciate both comments a lot.  Have a safe and Happy New Year.
Jim

P.S.  sorry it's such a "downer" of a song to end 2018 !  May better and wondererous  things to come  in 2019 !!!     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jim that song reminds of a Lady I know well been married three times and now lives on her own. I love the way you write songs. Once again you have written a top song.
A safe and happy New year to you and your family.
Cheers
Pete     

I must not have noticed this earlier.

Jim, your right up my ally with this  one.  not only do I visualize a cold bitter woman, I can visualize the death of ones true love in a coffin.
That chorus is a very good hook and im going to hit this one with a my metalizing treatment and post it.  minor chords and distortion are nice.  Well this will be overdriven not full on Dist. big_smile     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Beamer - can't wait til you do it - I actually think it is a good song lyric for your style.

Thanks

JIm     

Hi Jim. I don't know how I missed this back in December, so thanks for re-submitting it. Minor chords do tend to give a song a melancholy feel so that's the way I played it. But it lacked something...which is why I changed the Am on the second line of the verses to G7, I think it adds a little something, it's up to you if you keep it or not. In the chorus the last line; "and now she sleeps alone" might make a little more sense as; "and SO she sleeps alone" What do you think. Only suggestions.

[Am] There’s things that happen [Dm] in this life
which [G7] bring sorrow to your [E] soul
[Am] Things you’ll never [Dm] understand
And [E] things you can’t con [Am] trol     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Yes Phill

I like both suggestions !

Jim