1 (edited by bluejeep 2019-02-14 15:22:10)

Topic: new computer

The old windows vista finally froze up and died, I decided to be merciful and not make any attempts at resuscitation. I had a new/refurbished computer delivered to the front door as I was not ready to appear in public at a time like this.  So, this morning as I was trying to figure out how this new fangled piece of technology worked, I hear a voice calling my name - now I know there aint nobody here except the four dogs and a sleeping wife,  I begin to reach for my pistol which is never far from my hand and I hear the voice again,  I spin around and - aint nobody there cept the beagle who now senses my growing agitation.  I slowly begin to realize it's the new puter talking to me,  now I'm willing to accept a lot but I gotta draw the line at a talkin puter -  which now brings me to the current situation, how do I make it stop talkin short of shooting it?  I miss my old quiet vista. This new thing is gonna take a heap of learnin before I get it sorted out.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Re: new computer

There's a whole world of difference between VISTA and windows 10. If you'd had a passing flirtation with win8 it might have eased your pain a bit. I've had my 10 for over two years now and I'm still trying to figure it out! But there is a manual in the program somewhere.
If it's an Apple you've bought I'd be even less help. Still, it's fun learning....put the gun away.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I would like to know more about it. I  know a little bit about computer hardware. I need a driver I think my computer sound driver is missing. So I want to replace it right now. Can you please recommend to me a place from where I can download the free sound driver.     

Ok Robert, welcome to Chordie. Without knowing what computer you have or operating system, it will be pointless giving you advise. If you have win 10 or above you should receive updates regularly. Windows have stopped updates for Vista and earlier. BTW programs are software so the driver should be downloadable. If you don't have a sound card built in your computer, you may find buying one fairly expensive especially if you can't fit it yourself. Go to your computer manufacturers web site and check for updates for your driver's. You will find websites that will check your PC for out of date driver's or you can purchase a program that will keep you up to date. I must warn you these may contain unwanted and often Hidden spy programs and you may get a lot of spam or worse. Good luck hope this helped     

Robert - If you know the manufacturer of the sound card, you should be able to download the driver from them. If it came with the computer, you may be able to get a driver pack from the manufacturer's web site. Good luck. Missing drivers can be a real pain.

BlueJeep - Try this. It may work. It may not. In the little white box in the lower left corner, type on Cortana. When you find Cortana, look for a setting to keep her quiet. Shooting your computer will certainly quiet it, but it will also hamper your ability to use it for Chordie access.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for your reply. I have been using Windows 10 now.     

hi Robert. win10 automatically downloads updates. make sure  your settings allow auto updates. if you still have no sound then you may need a sound card. i have an external sound card because i do recordings on my PC. if that is your aim then i recommend Steinberg UR22 mk 2, not overly expensive and you get a rather classy DAW free. obviously you can buy an internal sound card but you will need to be careful how you install it.
let us know how you get on.