1 (edited by mojo01 2021-06-04 18:19:29)

Topic: the painting

was digging through my note book and found a song i had set aside awhile back, and i realized it kind of went along with a painting i have of grand dads old  dog run house as they were called. any way another work in progress
https://soundcloud.com/mojo01/the-painting 

capo third fret
chorus
Am                     C                      G                Am
there's an old painting that hangs on my wall
F                               C                       G                Am
of my grand dads house and the trees in the fall   
i see that old painting and I riminess   
reminds me of places and people i miss

now the wind and the rain come blowing through
the cracks in the chimney where the coffee once brewed
two lonely chimneys and the house is all gone
broken down well shed where the water was drawn
weeds in the yard and the fence is all down
nothing much left of what stood on this ground

chorus

i can see granddad in the old porch swing
aunts and uncle an cousins in the evening
hay bails piled high by the fence in the meadow
fire wood is split for the cold a the first snow
just that old house those days are gone
that painting reminds me how time moves along

chorus

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: the painting

Mojo love the way you can tell a good story in a song. I can imagine that picture through your  cleverly written and performed song.     

Having grown up in the Appalachian foothills, there's nothing I like more than a good story song that paints scenes that pull you in and tugs at your emotions. The prosody of your composition is spot on: the lyrics, meter and chord progression  coupled with your wistful, rustic vocal have all combined to produce an excellent song.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Nice one Mojo - ditto to all of the above !
Do you still have that painting. If not, it would quite a project to hunt it down.

You always come through with songs that have such imagery, and also always attach inceredible emotion or passion.  Very heartfelt.

JIm     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

TIGLJK wrote:

Nice one Mojo - ditto to all of the above !
Do you still have that painting. If not, it would quite a project to hunt it down.

You always come through with songs that have such imagery, and also always attach inceredible emotion or passion.  Very heartfelt.

JIm

it hangs on the wall in y kitchen if i knew how to post pictures i would have put a picture of the painting  well actualy its a colored pencil  drawing that my future sister inlaw did for my mother in 1978.

thanks everyone for the kind words happy ya,ll enjoyed the song     

out of tune out of key and out of touch