Topic: "The 'Country' Life?"

The idea for this song was prompted by a discussion in another forum section regarding country music.

The 'Country' Life?James McCormick, August 28, 2007

this song can not be played by anyone wearing boots that cost more than their guitar

[G]I'm a guy who [D]works a job and [C]loves my fami-[G]ly

[C]We pursue our [G]happiness in the [D]Land of the Free

Our [C]needs are pretty [G]simple, our [C]wants are very [G]few

But there's [C]something I just [D]can't afford to [G]do . . . .

I [C]can't afford the [D]'Country' life I'm [G]seein' on T-[Em]V

The [C]fashions and the [Am]vehicles are [D]way beyond my [D7]means . . . .

[G]Everything is glitzy, [G7]glamorous and brand [C]new

What's a [G]regular guy like [D]me supposed to [G]do? . . . .

[G]Used to be that [D]'Country' stood [C]for simplici-[G]ty

[C]Used to be that [G]'Country' was [D]something I could be

[C]Lately when I [G]turn it on, I'm [C]wonderin' what I [G]see

When I'm [C]watchin' Country [D]Music on T-[G]V . . . .

I [C]can't afford the [D]'Country' life I'm [G]seein' on T-[Em]V

The [C]face lifts and the [Am]botox are [D]way beyond my [D7]means . . . .

My [G]paycheck only [G7]goes so far, as [C]far as I can see

I need to [G]get a farm with a [D]crop subsi-[G]dy.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: "The 'Country' Life?"

Nice country song James. You have a way with words and lyrics. Very good indeed.

Take Care ...Badeye.

one caper after another

hi james we all strive for the life we dream of ,but we end up making the most of what we've got 'thats life.great song again ...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

4 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-29 15:00:47)

Nice.

I remember the first time I saw a $20,000 price tag on a pickup.  All shiny and red with chrome wheels and automatic everything.  Even chrome step-rails.  Why something that's supposed to get stepped on ought to be chrome, I've got no idea.  I thought to myself that the pickup's not the poor man's ride any longer.  And then they wonder why folks by used Accords.  Go figure.  Your song sums up that feeling right well.

This from a guy who drove a European luxury car to a West Virginia river camp this summer...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi James,
I watch The Country Music awards on tv each year and they are very glamourous affairs. I cannot relate to how it has changed as you Americans would! But played your song and wanted to add a " Yee Haw" but the men working on  my house at the moment  would think i am totally nuts! "good song though"   Stick to Statts and writing as i tried Rolling " JamesWood" around my tongue!  Nah!somehow didnt sound right!   McCormick wood! Nah!
Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hi James
See where your coming from on this one and agree. Great use of words as usual plays well.

Regards

Ark

7 (edited by Zurf 2007-08-30 02:18:03)

Love it.  When I played it, the melody to "My Whole Life is Waiting Behind Door Number Three" was what struck me, so it sounds kind of old Buffett in my house.  Not sure if that's what you had in mind. 

Would be great if I could print these out to stick them in my folder and learn them well.

And I played it barefoot, just to be sure.  Though my usual off-work footwear is Minnetonka Jesus sandals with white ankle socks.  That Country enough for you?  If not, I may be able to slip on my bright yellow rubber overboots. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for your encouraging words.  When I was writing this song, Tom T. Hall's "Pamela Brown" was sort of the musical model I had in mind.  Don't know if this song follows the same chord sequence, but I think the meter is very similar.

My preferred at-home footwear is beat up tennis shoes or strap-on sandals.

I enjoy Country music - but the stuff I like the best is simple and poetic.  Country performers with pyrotechics, laser light shows, and costume changes just seem a little strange to my tastes.  Likewise lots of really great country lyrics get buried under tons of elaborate, over-produced studio arrangements.

The corporate Country music machine needs a punk revolution just like rock&roll had when people got back to basics.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James for this I salute you.....
I wrote a comment in Old Doll's 'country/western' thread about this. I won't take all day on here but i have to say that the 'country life' aint what you see on T.V., its just good clean simple livin'. To me the country life is the good life, even if it is kind of slow.
And by the way if you're an average joe workin' for you're living and just living the best you can then you can take it from a certified Seedtick hick that you've got it down pat.
"Now what most folks call a redneck aint nuthin but a workin' man, and he makes his bread by the sweat of his neck and the callouses on his hands"- CHarlie Daniels

All You Need is Love smile