1 (edited by TIGLJK 2024-04-07 13:38:21)

Topic: Steely Dan

Ok - I was reading about the group Steely Dan and found out how they came up with the name of their band. If you don't know -  it's based on a girl named Mary during the chapter of the book entitled ‘A.J.’s Annual Party’. The book is William S. Burrough’s  Naked Lunch - you can find out the meaning if you look it up - cause I don't want to get banned .  smile

As a result - I couldn't resist writing a song that would entwine it with a marriage.

this is the song - used a few (there are 6) titles from their Steely Dan albums for lines ( BTW Steely Dan is awesome and I have several of their albums.) , a few innuendos as well.  smile

I tried to be clever smile. I kinda wish I knew how to write in a  Steely Dan music style ( maybe an instrumental jazzy like piece).

It's kind of a sad song,but I can't help laughing when I play it.   Slàinte Mhath!

Steely Dan By Jim Kenyon

Verse 1

[Em]just nineteen when we [D]got together, yeah we[C] rocked it all night[Em] long

[Em] I remember thinking this would [D]last forever, how [C]did it go so [Em] wrong

[Em]she don’t need no [D] slow-hand lover, since she’s [C]found something [Em]new

[Em]one night she played some [D]new songs,now she's [C] left me feeling [Em]blue

Chorus

[Am]The songs were all by[C] Steely Dan, a [Am]sign that we were reelin’ in the[C] years

when she[Am] plays can’t buy-a thrill, and [C]do it again, all her [D]deacon blues disap[Em]pear

[Am] she’s found deep love with [C]Steely Dan, it [Am]makes her feel so young a[C]gain

She [Am] just closes her eyes, and [C]feels the sound, yeah[D] she loves her Steely [Em]Dan

Verse 2

[Em]while love becomes just a [D]word we say, and it [C]doesn’t mean much to [Em]hear

[Em]seems I don’t know her[D] anymore, we’re just [C] living cold lies and [Em]tears

[Em]I think that she loves me, I[D] think that she cares, but I [C] just don’t under[Em]stand

[Em] remember how we first [D]started out, before she [C]came across Steely [Em] Dan

Chorus

[Am]The songs were all by[C] Steely Dan, a [Am]sign that we were reelin’ in the[C] years

when she[Am] plays can’t buy a thrill, and [C]do it again, all her [D]deacon blues disap[Em]pear

[Am] she’s found deep love with [C]Steely Dan, it [Am]makes her feel so young a[C]gain

She [Am] just closes her eyes, and [C]feels the sound, yeah[D] she loves her Steely [Em]Dan

Outgo

[Am]She just closes her eyes, and [C]feels the sound, yeah[D] she loves her Steely [Em]Dan

[Am]She just closes her eyes, and [C]night by night, oh she [D] she feels so young a[Em]gain

a lot Slower

[Am]She just closes her eyes, and [C]feels the sound, yeah[D] she loves her Steely [Em]Dan

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Steely Dan

Jim don't lose that number clever lyrics by you.     

Re: Steely Dan

Thanks Peatle - I changed it a bit this morning

a couple small lyrical changes and different chorus chords.
Thanks for giving it a look

Cheers

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke