Topic: barre chord songs

I'm an acoustic guitar player looking to find some good barre chord or power chord songs for an electric guitar. I have alot of great songs in my chordie songbook, but there all open chords. Please go easy on me, I'm new to the electric guitar.

Re: barre chord songs

Hi

Most songs on Chordie are shown using open chords even though its easier (and more accurate to play using barre chords.

Take a switch from A to B. It very hard using open chords but a synch using the E shape barre you just slide two frets up

Similarly a switch from A to D. Just change from an E shape on the 5th fret to an A Shape on the same fret

My suggestion is to take your favorite songs and instaed of playing them in open chords see if playing barre chords makes it easier.

On power chords - I usually play the power chord using the bottom three strings of the E and A shape barre chords

they are heavy sounding chords and sound good with distortion for rock numbers.

depends what your into to be honest

i use alot of barre song in my song book

check them out

very easy trust me

its just a name!

[url=http://www.myspace.com/punked_will]www.myspace.com/punked_will[/url]

I like alot of southern rock,also some Eric Clapton. I play alot of 70's singer song writer songs on my acoustic. I'd like learn some 80's hair band power chords on my elecrtic. I can't be more honest then that.

Hey emo, how do I find your songbook?

Greenday and Nirvana both use a lot of simple power chord songs

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

I agree, both great bands. But what I realy want to know is, what songs on chordie show power chords. All the songs I've ever put in my song book all show open chords.

So don't play the open chords.  Play them barred.

Just because chordie shows you the open G or C or D or E doesn't mean you have to play them that way.  Every chord has many different voicings on the fretboard.  It's worthwhile to learn them.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Barre chords give you more sound options. Queen's 'fat bottomed girls' sounds fine electric and open but I've found that to really power up the chorus, barres are the thing. Now A-shape  C and D are finger killers (keep the E or Am shape but in one fret) but with a Brit hi-Gain amp setting they are worth it.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

One day you will get bored - playing the same old open major chords -
When that day comes, The fret will expose its hidden talent.
You don't only play the first eight keys on a piano do you?
You play the whole lot - The guitar is no different!

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

jcellini wrote:

I agree, both great bands. But what I realy want to know is, what songs on chordie show power chords. All the songs I've ever put in my song book all show open chords.

Try "World Domination" by Ash. Barre chords all the way through the verses.
And "Hitchin' a Ride" by Green Day, barre chords all through the verses as well.

Also try this: if you see one of the songs using power chords, swap them for barre chords. Swap a 6th string power chord for a E-based barre, a 5th string for A-based.

Also, not sure if it makes a big difference, but try playing barre chords while standing up. It makes it easier for power chords, might be the same with barre chords. (don't know because I can read them but not play them)