Re: Embarrassing Moments

Is it allowed do give two? 'cause at the university studying to become a doc, here in BELGIUM 7 years. I did so many "sometimes MEAN" things. I once placed a piece of plastic cellophane in the toilets of girls, at the university, in a bar. If they went to toilet and they came back, I don't need a picture here.
Embarrassing moments: being reanimated in E.R a few hours after my crash, in ER I had a cardiac arrest due to a shock. So I really died, and you have 3 stages.
1) Angry, cursing
2) you start to realise that there is something real bad going on that moment
3) finally you start to feel happy, you accepted the inevitable, and I remember every single thing that happened there, so I could speak to my "ex-girlfriend" about don't worry I will be always in your head + other stuff about my daughter, mother.
4) I heard suddenly: "finally we have him back" and one of the doctors asked how I felt? The only answer I could give: can I get finally "French fries" (FRENCH FRIES are originally from BELGIUM).
I was thinking on French fries when I hit that tree, and I think when you die you take your last thought with you.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

27 (edited by Ray Melton 2008-07-18 06:12:40)

Yeah ,been there too Russell, in my Airforce days , walking out to the aircraft and the comment made was " You really  enjoy your job ,hey ?" yikes

Russell is my son's name too !

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Live & Learn . . .
I just now realized that my nifty Blue Snowball USB microphone was not functioning up to its full potential.  Like an idiot, I have been using it for a year now without having the proper audio input specified in my preferences in the GarageBand recording software . . .

I have always had some ambient background 'fuzz' on all my recordings - being a newbie to the world of recording, I just figured it was one of those things that happened when you don't have super-duper gear and a soundproof room.

Well . . . I was just sitting down to record something and for some odd reason I clicked on Garageband's 'Preferences' settings.  Lo and behold there was a choice between 'internal audio' and 'Blue Snowball'. I picked 'snowball' and suddenly my recording is 'clean' and 'deep' and without all the ambient fuzz!

The embarrassing and humiliating thing about this is that I now have a year's worth of my original songs recorded using the wrong/noisy setting.  Not the end of the world - but I feel like a genuine doofus . . .

I'm glad to know better now - just wish I had known this a year ago!
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

well james at least you know now and as a bonus you have a years worth of already arranged music that you can improve so you have something to keep you busy smile

James McCormick wrote:

Live & Learn . . .
I just now realized that my nifty Blue Snowball USB microphone was not functioning up to its full potential.  Like an idiot, I have been using it for a year now without having the proper audio input specified in my preferences in the GarageBand recording software . . .

I have always had some ambient background 'fuzz' on all my recordings - being a newbie to the world of recording, I just figured it was one of those things that happened when you don't have super-duper gear and a soundproof room.

Well . . . I was just sitting down to record something and for some odd reason I clicked on Garageband's 'Preferences' settings.  Lo and behold there was a choice between 'internal audio' and 'Blue Snowball'. I picked 'snowball' and suddenly my recording is 'clean' and 'deep' and without all the ambient fuzz!

The embarrassing and humiliating thing about this is that I now have a year's worth of my original songs recorded using the wrong/noisy setting.  Not the end of the world - but I feel like a genuine doofus . . .

I'm glad to know better now - just wish I had known this a year ago!
James

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Roger - I saw this news story today and immediately thought of you. May be some solace in knowing you are not alone smile

Man blows up apartment spraying for bugs?

Mon Jul 21, 1:35 PM ET

A New Jersey man trying to exterminate insects in his apartment blew it up instead, the New York Daily News reported on Monday.

Isias Vidal Maceda was unhurt in the incident, but 80 percent of his apartment was destroyed, Eatontown, New Jersey police told the newspaper.

The accident occurred as Maceda was spraying for pests in his kitchen. Somehow the bug spray ignited a blast that blew out the apartment's front windows and triggered a fire that quickly spread, the newspaper said.

Police told the newspaper that the Saturday blaze also caused smoke damage to the apartment above.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks Jeff,

Nice to know I am not the only "Doofus" (a great word from James's latest song) and I bet he has eliminated his bug problem although the result will incur more cost than my little escapade.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'm not so sure that this is so much embarassing as funny, in retrospect, but here goes:

Back in High School (which seems like a long time ago now) I used to hang with a bunch of guys who enjoyed the hunting, fishing, trapping outdoor activities.  My good friend Bart's family owned a rather large estate just out of the city limits and we would often hunt the area. 

One early Saturday morning seven of us met up at Bart's house for an early breakfast to be followed by a sweep of the north 80 acre pasturage for Pheasant.  It was a cold cold morning as they are often here in the Great Northwest and shortly into the hunt, with the dogs working the hedgerows beautifully, that fourth or fifth cup of coffee caught up with me.  Handing my shotgun to Bart I announced my intention to step off and "water a bush", so the party halted to allow me time to attend to that.  Glancing over in my direction Bart informed me that "somewhere over there is an electric fence wire, watch for it." .
Yes, just as the stream weakened I found that wire, well attached to a charger of sufficient current to burn the nose hairs of any poor cow for a twenty mile stretch.  Searing agony such as can only be compared to being struck by lightening... my gonads being yanked into my armpits, I sat down in eight inches of very soggy Oregon mud.  Where I'm told I convulsed for several seconds while steam or perhaps smoke exuded from my fly.
  We cut the hunt short because nobody in the group could restrain laughing long enough to hold a good lead.  From then on every time we went hunting, someone would remind me to "watch for wire!".

Good Hunting;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

A comment from Toney (SouthPaw41L) on FaceBook reminded me of this thread which has been dormant for a couple of years now. We have many new Members since then so perhaps they would like to share their 'embarrassing moments' with us.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Or the same old members with new embarassing moments.........fools never learn! Let me get to thinking what's broadcastable from the last coupla years......

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

That's my problem too... can't think of much that's "broadcastable" (as I laugh at myself)... I mean I've got childbirth stories, and drunken wedding night stories... and random other drunken night stories... and then there's "time of the month"  stories which I know you guys aren't interested in hearing!  oh my!  I will have to get back to everyone on this one!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The drunken wedding night will do, mekidsmom.  Shoot.  smile

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

37 (edited by badeye 2010-08-03 23:55:26)

Years ago while working construction in the city we were required to wear hard hats, one day at lunch I walked to the city mall for cigarettes and walked through a 10 by 10 plate glass window with hard hat on,
head down, counting change. Embarrising for sure, got a cut over the right eye. A month later I walked in the same mall and the new glass  had a big red stripe on it. I quit smoking.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

I will make this story short,I used to be a commercial exterminator,I was in an albertsons grocery store one sat morning and was setting some traps above the bakery for a roof rat ,I got very involved in my looking as to where to set traps and did not pay attenion as to keeping on the firm footing areas,as a result I fell through the pop up fake cieling panels,I cut myself on the leg but I managed to catch a 2x4 on the way down so I was suspended in air right over the glass display case and alot of customers and I was bleeding on some pastries and birthday cakes.you can not belive the way these people were shocked and myself also,I managed to pull myself back up into the roof area. They brought a ladder over but I told the manager I was going to make my way back to the rear of the store so he understood and gave me some bandage materials. I got 12 stiches in my leg and alot of joking from my co workers for along time after that.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

My band and I had just finished a two year house band gig at a big city nightclub that sat 600.
We got a gig across the bay at a small restaraunt lounge. After two years blowing shots with an unamplified trumpet along with an electric lead guitar, I had no idea how loud my trumpet playing had become.
At our first rehersal at the smaller venue, the manager came to me and said the trumpet was much too loud for his room. No time to relearn my trumpet technique so I went to a music store to fine a mute to quiet my horn down. I found the perfect mute that clipped onto the horn bell, but stood out a few inches and was packed with fabric. The trumpet sounded natural but was 2/3 quieter. Cool! I brought the mute to our gig and left it on the bandstand.
That night, a few minures before we were to start playing I found the janitor had removed the fabric from my new mute and tossed it in the trash. I had the mute but nothing to dampen the volume.
I asked the lady bartender for a bar towel or something to stuff into my mute. She tried to help but nothing would stay in the mute and not fall out. So the lady reached for her purse and pulled out a feminine napkin. She rolled it up and it fit inside the mute perfectly and sounded just right.
I thanked her and went to work.
Around midnight, when the dance floor was packed with dancers, I swung my horn and it hit my mic stand and the mute popped out, bounced off the stage onto the dance floor and wouldn't you know the feminine napkin hopped out and unfolded full length there on the floor. Everybody stared in horror! A very sweet young lady picked it up gingerly with two fingers and handed it to me asking, "Is this yours?"
The cleverest thing I could think to say was, "Yes and I thank you."

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Ok then, my wedding night it is.  My husband and I bought our house and planned a nice little backyard wedding.  It was my second wedding but his first.  I made my wedding dress and the guys wore tuxes, while the guests were dressed in anything from jean shorts to summer dresses.  I ordered tents, tables and chairs.  His cousin's band came and played for us.  A BBQ joint did the catering and we had a tier of cupcakes for the wedding cake.  Of course there was beer, champagne, wine coolers and numerous bottles of alcohol (many people brought some with them to help stock the wedding bar). 

Well, after I had a good buzz going, but still pretty early in the night, everyone started with their "I want to kiss the bride"... sure.  A 13 year old boy (friend's kid) was really not into the whole thing however, and I took chase after him "you HAVE to kiss the bride!!!" We were weaving through the tables and chairs, under the tents, out of the tents everyone looking at me like I was a crazy loon!  It was fun, run after the teen and if I could just catch him I'd give him a big ole lipstick mark on his cheek and he'd be sooooo embarassed!  It didn't work out that way, that boy was fast and as I was catching up to him he took a sharp turn and BAM!  FULL speed (with my shoes kicked off of course) I ran my left foot into a HUGE tent post.  YOWSERS!  I had NO idea that breaking a toe could hurt that bad.  Suffice it to say, I spent the rest of the evening sitting in a chair while little children poured ice on my foot (wheel barrow filled with ice) calling out "Bring me the Doctor!!" - aka the Peppermint Schnapps my new brother in law had in his hand.  I really don't remember much after that but I've heard some stories that I can't share about the rest of the evening after I got drunk enough to ease the pain and not remember anything!  AHHH!  Our Honeymoon that was supposed to be filled with golfing, horsebackriding, and dancing till dawn was VERY laid back instead.  My toe still doesn't bend right.  I run into people that were at the wedding whom I don't know too well (like his second cousins and such) and I cringe in embarassment wondering how late they stayed and if they were there for the part I don't remember or just what a "drunken NUT" they must think he married!

Well that story wasn't nearly as titillating as it promised to be. 

Speaking of broken things... Upon reaching the end of a hike to a waterfall, a buddy decided to rock hop through the stream and to the edge where you can see the water fall down to the stream below.  I wasn't sure about it, and he encouraged me to go anyway.  So then a five year old kid hopped the rock and I had to do it.  I slip, smacked my shin on the rock and fell face down on the large rock (boulder really) that I was supposed to land on.  I scrambled up and did make it to the edge, which was pretty.  After sitting still for a while, the leg began to hurt more, but I figured it was just a scrape.  So we hiked back out.  Then I proceeded to play tennis three times per week for the next two weeks.  At the end of the third match on the second week, my tennis partner and I went back to my apartment for some cold waters and a little relaxation.  My wife was there and we were all catching up and having a nice time when I said, "You know, usually a smack like I took on that rock would feel better by now, but it's actually hurting worse than ever."  So my tennis partner, a veterinarian, runs her hand over the contusion and frowns at me.  "You idiot.  That leg is broken, and now you've waited long enough that it's infected too.  Get to a people doctor."  My wife was laughing at her stubborn husband for hiking and playing tennis on a broken leg.  So the people doctor asked why I came in after two weeks, and I told her about my vet friend.  The people doctor laughed and said, "Well, vets know legs.  Their patients have a lot of them.  Let's take a look."  She took an X-ray and confirmed my tennis partner's diagnosis - my shin was cracked lengthwise and it was infected.  I got a soft cast, some antibiotics, and a cane to use for the next four weeks, along with instructions not to play any more tennis matches on a broken leg.  All that because I couldn't make a jump that a five year old did with confidence.  The good news is that now I can tell you when a low front is coming three days in advance. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

etc_04 wrote:

LOL one time on a hunting trip I accidentally shot myself in the foot. Pretty embarrassing. Went out the next year and got me a deer though. Gotta love that venison chilli.

*drool*
i'd pay some serious money for some more of that right now...

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Badeye - WOW!  You're lucky you weren't hurt worse... sooo funny though.  It would have been a little better if it had the same flavor as these others "while looking at a woman" ha ha!

Dino - Holy smokes!  I'm picturing that in my head, wondering what the people standing there watching must have been thinking!  The lovely irony, trying to keep the rats away he bled all over the pastries.

Toots - How brave of you to even consider sticking one of those in your mute!  "no one will ever know, and it's working great!" Hello ladies, look what I've got in my trumpet!  ha ha

Zurf - the story gets much worse and far more embarassing - I just am not so sure it's appropriate for Chordie!  LOL!  I really did "black out" that night (and it was the LAST time I ever drank enough to black out... scary stuff).  Last thing I remember is sitting with my foot in that wheel barrow of ice water... then I wake up at 3AM sitting in my living room with a hot cup of coffee in my hands and NOT my wedding dress on (but I was clothed with a big ole bump on my head to add to the broken toe).  I had to ask my bridesmaids what happened the rest of the night... and, it's not Chordie appropriate!  I have NO idea how many people were still around for the "show"!  --- And speaking of "Crazy as a Loon" look at you with the broken leg playing tennis!  OH MY!

Hey MKM, love the wedding night story. Sorry about your toe, but I must say, It sure sounds like a wedding I would have really enjoyed being at. A good time had by all. My kind of party!!!!!