Topic: Your Not There! Song.

This song was written some time ago.. Thats the whole Story! I did try to condense  it, but changed my mind as it was losing the debth of what its about for me.    Maybe a bit sad for Monday Mornings! But Im a happy Doll  today.
As I am only now getting a better grasp of picking. This one is finger picked..
I think its sounds just right this way! So Thank you!
Your Not There!   Words/Melody Helena Donovan

You're Not ThereWords/Melody by Helena Donovan

[G]The Club did smell

Of smoke and [C]beer.

[G] Music adding to the [D]cheer

[G]Cosyou[D] were [G] there.

[G] You smiled your smile

Through wispy[C] haze

[G] My mind just drifted To Far off[D] days

[G]Cos you[D] were[G] there.

[G] Romance in time and ecsta[C]sy

[G] Now eyes like holes

In winter [D] snows

[G]Cos you [D] were [G] there.

Chorus.1

[C]Was it life or age got to [G] you

[E] You never really told me [A]why[D]..

[G] Shell only of the man I[D] knew.

[G] Cos you’re[D] not[G] there...

[G]You sauntered over Glass in[C] hand

[G] Asked me to sing our [D] song

[G]Cos you [D]were [G]there

[G] Leaned in to kiss with boozy[C] lips

[G] I stumbled as I Stooped to[D] miss

[G] Cos you [D]were. [G] There

Chorus 2.

[C] Lost love I stand [G] alone

[E]Your sweet 16 you’re lucky[A] charm[D]

[G]Silent tears in broken[D] dreams

[G] Cos you’re[D] not[G] There...

[G] No you’re[D]not [G]There.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Your Not There! Song.

I like the structure of this one. Not your ordinary, average every other line rhyme. Very picturesque mental image of this small ,cozy, little hang out. Takes me back and makes me think.........Thanks, you're one groovy lady.

Peace and Pickin',
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

Hi Doll,

I'll second SouthPaw, definitely one groovy lady. Fingerpicked from start to end and it began to stir some memories that I prompty put back in the file.

Thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Wow - soon to be a major motion picture?  Lots of pithy substance in a few well-chosen words, Lena.  Excellent!  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

hi helena a nice song with plenty of thought and feeling ,well done...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

G] Now eyes like holes
In winter [D] snows

i think this is my favorite line.... very nicely done Old Doll. I like the way you choose words that are not cliche, very poetic

All You Need is Love smile

As Always!

Thank you all  for your very kind comments.

They are graciously received. The comments today brought  tears to my eyes!

Old Doll.

great song old ( but young, at heart ) doll. i like the line silent tears in broken dreams. the whole thing is pretty good. really like the finger pickking. and like the others said not your average run of the mill ryhmer, which is something im trying to get away from.
selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

It's official you are one 'groovey lady', Thats right and another neat little number. I like your song.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Another Nice one Lena.
Glad your getting the hang of picking. Strumming is ok. for some numbers. But for more folksy tunes it's express better.
Well Done

Regards

Ark

I like this song.. I'm not sure of the timing, but i was able  to play it in my own way and realy felt it..  Good job..

Hi Forum,
This has been recorded now for some time! mistakes and all as usual.
I did change the way it was played originally. Now im thinking May be i shouldnt have?

Its now on Foc. Thanks again to Mr Guppy. When you get time give it a listen to.

Thank You!

Old Doll.

Nice one Helena,

I love to hear the songs recorded. It is fine to sit and play one from the chords shown but the recording from the composer brings the song to life and shows it the way it was intended to be.

Thank you and well done.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

That was great!  I'm off to FoC to see how badly I mangled it now lol

Thanks Lena - btw did u enjoy your birthday Gingerbread?

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

As suspected, very badly but your version was excellent!

Thanks for sharing wink

Nice job Lena
Well done.
How's the fingerpicking coming along?

Ark

Thanks Ark,

The finger pickings coming on fine, i think. Finger tips a wee bit soft from all the water and flowers over christmas, which always happens anyway.
I am sorry now i didnt stick to fingerpicking that song it  does sounds so much better.
If it aint broken Ark !!!!!  I Never learn.

Old Doll.

Bonedaddy!

The gingerbread was delicious, just what i needed to shift my flu! As im here talking about you!
I mean gingerbread lol

Can you or anyone here tell me how and where did the GingerBread House Originate? I have googled but only get recipes.  My son brought home a kit from boston of one. It was delightful
made up.. {Picture in my space!
Mise {me} and the gingerbread house took a wee trip to my brothers house in Kildare. His wee girl had her 5th birthday sunday gone, so the gingerbread house was hers. It also went down in price by about 100,000 euro as the houses here in Dublin are a ridiculous price. lol

He wee face was a treat, but i could not tell her the story of same. So bonedaddy before you head to bed as your "Old Now", Hows about answering this for me. I just know you know the answer!!

Your such a gingerbread Man. You sweet thing you!

Old Doll{ whose allowed stay up late.:lol:

Lol!  As far as I know, the gingerbread house was in the Hansel And Gretel Story by Brothers Grimm.  The Weak Father and the Wicked Stepmother abandoned Hansel n Gretel in the woods when they couldn't afford to feed them any more.  Hansel, being a bloke (and therefore practical) dropped breadcrumbs as they went deeper into the wood.  Short sighted as he was, he didn't foresee the birds eating the breadcrumbs (which they did) so they got lost anyway.  Luckily they found a house made of Gingerbread.  Unluckily, it was made by a witch who didn't so much eat Gingerbread as entice young children into the edible house, fatten them up and eat them! 

To cut a long story short, SPOILER ALERT Gretel chucks the witch into her own oven, frees Hansel, finds a Sat Nav and some treasure, goes home to find the Wicked Stepmother has died so they all live until the deathclock says  it's time to go on to glory!

The End.

cool

lol lol lol lol

Your a nutter Bonedaddy! Thats the funniest, Never did relate it to Them Pair.

I bought my son a sat nav for christmas! among other stuff, Thats also hilarious!
Some times the sat nav sends you across lush green fields. But then it is the Emerald!

Old Doll, Atishoo Atishoo Atishoo! Oh God Bless Me! lol

Ah, well you see fairy tales are about my intellectual level so I can really relate to them.  Also I abandoned my kids in the woods!

I don't need a sat nav to get lost, I do that all on my own!

cool

Hi Old Doll,
A well written, rather sad song, to me.
Your story line seemed to reflect on people drifting apart in a relationship.
Am I sort of right in my asessment?
Regards & cheers
Kiwi john

23 (edited by Old Doll 2008-01-09 11:18:54)

Hi John Walding,

Your not sort of right "Your absolutely spot on.  This is a personal piece. I did meet my husband when i was 16, He was much older then me. i was always called sweet sixteen{ to this day i still am} and lucky charm!!

But there is a very large complex history behind all of 40 years of this. Books could be written about our life together { one ive been working on for so long now} I have never divorced and never had any desire for any other relationship untill lately.  Ive had the most amazing times with but mostly without my Husband. You name it ive been there. From the best Concerts to the best Balls.  Ive stayed in the best Hotels ,ate the best food, endured affairs, { Not mine, I was always faithful, spare a kiss or 2  {True} 
So there ya go. Ive told you more then enough:lol:

Now dont tell anyone else please.:lol:  I remain a very Happy Old Doll despite all. Well most times. We makes our choices John Walding!!

Old Doll.
ps. Im still ragin i didnt stick with picking it. so much nicer.