Re: Which album is on your player this week?

As I write this I am listening to David Gilmour "On A Island" and it's on its last track so in one minute I will be listening to Jack Johnson D)

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Hi Sumelton, I have again a topic to discuss, or having opinions about BRANDNEW albums. You have a great topic, mine is similar but probably more difficult, I try to judge brand new albums.
On my player this week: JOHN FOGERTY, with REVIVAL: probably the best he made.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Just picked up a self-titled album by John Prine.  It's got three of my favorite John Prine songs, "Angel from Montgomery", "Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore", and "Paradise."  I've been trying to learn the first and last songs from that list, so this album will be getting a fair bit of play.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Doc - I will try to post to your new album topic -  when I actually get one!
Playing Newton Faulkner -Hand Built by Robots - I like! (is that a new album?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23aw1480WJk
Suze

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Sumelton 1

What about Newton singing  "Dream Catch Me" I Love that song.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Last nite a listened to Dr.Hook's Greatest Hits which is a great album, also Brother's In Arms by Dire Strait, and East Coast Blues by Matt Minglewood some rock and blues.I started going through my collection of old cassette tapes and there is quite a few and will take another nite.

Take Care....Badeye.

one caper after another

dwight yoakum: live at austin city limits

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Joni Mitchell has a new album out.  I saw it at Starbucks this morning.  Has anyone heard it yet? 

I was listening to her Greatest Hits in the car this morning before stopping for a cup.  Great album cover - Greatest hits and the picture is her laid out on the road as a hit and run victim.  But I like puns.

Selso - good pick!

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

This week, I've been listening to :

-The Wall - Pink Floyd
-Dark Side of the moon - Pink Floyd
-Live at Luther College - Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds (great for all you acoustic lovers)

I'm currently waiting for delivery of Pull The Pin by the Stereophonics so I can listen to it... Bloody postal strikes!

I'm the son of rage and love

Just got Reverend and the Makers - State of things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmfFmxJhtxU

and downloaded Radiohead In Rainbows (paying 3.45 pounds)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCKob1YKOU

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

much to the not so much delight of my wife, I am playing John Prine right now. I am leaving in a bout half hour to go get something to eat and drink before the doors open to see him at 7:30.
I am wishing I booked tomorrow off for a holiday!

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

much to the not so much delight of my wife, I am playing John Prine right now. I am leaving in a bout half hour to go get something to eat and drink before the doors open to see him at 7:30.
I am wishing I booked tomorrow off for a holiday!

Ken

Awesome!! You lucky dog. I wish I was there with you. JP is the freakin' best!!!! Give us one of your 'famous or infamous' altered reviews when you get home. What'd he open with, encore songs, band, I wanna know it all. Make me fell like I was there. Have a great time!

Best Regards,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

. Ok,
for anyone that has never heard John Prine or unlucky enough not to see him, if you hear his stuf and think yeah ok, country/folk same old same old, then you are wrong!!
John Prine was once described as the new bob dylan in the early 70's and now I reall can see why.
The guy is a genius!. Not only is he a great singer/player/guitarist, he also has this poetry dwindling in his music too. Not the type of poetry where you would see a poet stand up and just recite a poem, he keeps playing the guiotar and somehow makes his words fit in perfectly.
I have 2 dvd's of John Prine and thought they were great but when actually seeing him live, it is something esle.

He started of with Blow up yer tv ) spanish pipedream), then ..... the .... ye know, I cannot remember,lol Illeagal smile perhaps? , anyway, out of the 2 and half hours he played there was only two songs I did not know. And those two songs were good too.
Starting with a double bass, him on acoustic guitar and his sidekick electric guitar player it gradually went into him on electric guitar and an electric bass, even an electric mandolin for a few, the gradually back into acoustic again. superb!!
he played a few classics on his own with jus him and his guitar. I was in awe at his playing. it just sounds dso much better live, hearing what he can do wit h6 strings and his voice is something to be heard.
This guy had a stroke and went through some sort of ancer treatment and still at 62 or 63 he tours over in the UK, and not just one or two night but an actual tour, Credit!!!!
he done the tour last year as well, but since I only heard of him at the time he was doing it last year  Inever went to see him.
But if he comes back again next year I will be going and I recommend everyone to go see him of they get the chance.
If you do not like country or folk or country folk, it doesnt matter go along anyway, I guarantee you, you will walk away with a different attitude to this music.
3 guys on stage, no drums, and no drums needed. this was in my top 3 of concerts I habve been ot in my 23 years of going to concerts.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Nice review Ken, wish I could've been there. I'll for shizzle catch him if he comes anywhere near my neck of the woods. I saw him a few years back in Clearwater, FL and he moved me like few other performers have ever done.
JP has a fishing buddy down here near  my hometown and he pops up from time to time in the local bars. I have a friend, Vinnie, who plays bass and he had the great fortune of playing 3 tunes with JP in one of our little 'dive' bars down this way. Maybe I'll be the lucky one someday, or you!

Give everything but up.

41 (edited by Altex 2007-10-22 08:15:38)

Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

"No drums and no drums needed." 

It reminds me of seeing Charlie Waller and the Country Gentlemen.  This was the summer that Mr. Waller, God rest his soul, passed on.  Anyway, Mr. Waller, who had been playing music since my grandma was in her prime, had forgotten some of his jokes' punch lines (but not any lyrics or licks, by golly).  One of his musicians helped him out feeding him lines or ending the joke up for him.  It was obvious by the kind-hearted way in which it was done that the helper had genuine affection for his band leader.   Nevertheless, there was this good-natured stage patter going on, and at one point Charlie Waller mentions about playing with a drummer on an album.  Then he says, "There isn't a drummer on the stage right now and I wouldn't want one.  Nothing wrong with drums, I suppose, they just haven't got a neck on 'em." 

- Zurf

Hey Sumelton Just had to stop in and say thanks for posting this!! I had never heard of Newton prior to your posting and WOW! Love his style...Thanks again!! One of the best I've heard in awhile! Peace

sumelton1 wrote:

Hey Doc - I will try to post to your new album topic -  when I actually get one!
Playing Newton Faulkner -Hand Built by Robots - I like! (is that a new album?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23aw1480WJk
Suze

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

bonedaddy wrote:

I saw Green Day at Milton Keynes a while back now and I've listened to the American Idiot album at least once a week since then. I'm 39, does this make me weird?  I haven't had that much interest in any album since I discovered Pink Floyds' Wall in '79

x

Oh dont be so silly!! I'm 44 and I LOVE Greenday and I too play that cd alot. I also love Good Charlotte and Simple Plan. Truth is, I love alittle of everything...metal,rock,hip hop,classical,celtic.... but I love rock the best! I dont believe theres such a thing as too old for ANYTHING!!!!!!
PS  The Wall is also one of my all time favorites

HAVE YOU
     HUGGED YOUR GUITAR
                                 TODAY??

upyerkilt wrote:

. Ok,
for anyone that has never heard John Prine or unlucky enough not to see him, if you hear his stuf and think yeah ok, country/folk same old same old, then you are wrong!!
John Prine was once described as the new bob dylan in the early 70's and now I reall can see why.
The guy is a genius!. Not only is he a great singer/player/guitarist, he also has this poetry dwindling in his music too. Not the type of poetry where you would see a poet stand up and just recite a poem, he keeps playing the guiotar and somehow makes his words fit in perfectly.
I have 2 dvd's of John Prine and thought they were great but when actually seeing him live, it is something esle.

He started of with Blow up yer tv ) spanish pipedream), then ..... the .... ye know, I cannot remember,lol Illeagal smile perhaps? , anyway, out of the 2 and half hours he played there was only two songs I did not know. And those two songs were good too.
Starting with a double bass, him on acoustic guitar and his sidekick electric guitar player it gradually went into him on electric guitar and an electric bass, even an electric mandolin for a few, the gradually back into acoustic again. superb!!
he played a few classics on his own with jus him and his guitar. I was in awe at his playing. it just sounds dso much better live, hearing what he can do wit h6 strings and his voice is something to be heard.
This guy had a stroke and went through some sort of ancer treatment and still at 62 or 63 he tours over in the UK, and not just one or two night but an actual tour, Credit!!!!
he done the tour last year as well, but since I only heard of him at the time he was doing it last year  Inever went to see him.
But if he comes back again next year I will be going and I recommend everyone to go see him of they get the chance.
If you do not like country or folk or country folk, it doesnt matter go along anyway, I guarantee you, you will walk away with a different attitude to this music.
3 guys on stage, no drums, and no drums needed. this was in my top 3 of concerts I habve been ot in my 23 years of going to concerts.

Ken

Oh John Prine ROCKS!!!  My daughter who is almost 21 now, STILL sings in the morning:  "Got up this mornin...put on my slippers"   only in our family the joke was saying flippers instead of slippers. Too bad we dont play him anymore...its a big drinking trigger for my hubby in recovery...thats what played at all our parties years ago.

HAVE YOU
     HUGGED YOUR GUITAR
                                 TODAY??

Today its Suzanne Vega - Beauty and Crime - which is her ode to New York. Because I saw her live last night at the Paradiso!!! Yayyy - wooohoooo.

I love the Paradiso because you can get up close - its not allocated seating. So being a (sort of) player I was watching her technique - because I have never managed to get her sound. She is definitely not orthodox- holds a plectrum all wrong and seems to finger pick at double speed with a strong and rapid alternating thumb - but - she's fantastic and a great band too.

All her albums are vvgood in any case. Most people at work say - "Oh - I vaguely remember her" - mouse brains! (You can tell I' m all Vega' ed up this morning - she is one of my idols!)

Here's sort of what it was like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfwxVGPsNIw