Topic: CHEAP AND DECENT AMPS

I noticed already at least 100 times, that people dream about having an electric guitar, are blinded more if it's about electric guitars. BUT EVERY ELECTRIC GUITAR NEEDS AN AMP.
In a music store, I also go straight to the guitar department, with an attitude I HAVE AN AMAZING GUITAR, and I never thought about an amp. I don't know why, I never go to the amp section.
AMPS are compared to guitars UNDERESTIMATED.
What I did: going on eBay, I found there some very rare guitars, like the PRS EG serie, produced from 1990-1992, and I saw only one back again, with the price double compared to when I got them. Afraid: NO, because I love PRS. You have to be lucky too, more with acoustic guitars, but I accept the risk.
- Crate GTX212 with a lot of effects in it: 250$ 120W (A real nice price quality amp)
- Drive CD300 30W Guitar Combo Amp 90$ customer rating: not that good
- Ibanez TBX15R Tone Blaster 15W and 99,99$ and the comments NOT FOR A GIG, BUT FOR PRACTISING IN YOUR BEDROOM, same comment on the follow Fender 15R Frontman Series II, and also: if you turn the volume high: everything is distorted.
- Traynor TGM20 Guitar Mate 20 Combo 103$, SAME COMMENT.
- Fender Blem 25R Frontman Series II Guitar Combo 118$ SAME COMMENT Practise amp.
So far I found these amps, an always recurring comment is: good to very good to use it as practise amp BUT if you turn the volume in a real high position, it looks as if the amp controls you, distortion, bad sound.
I am afraid that a decent amp, to use at home and to use at gigs, and who is not THAT expensive, which is not really the proper word, will cost you between 250-500$ I know, a lot of chordians, more specific our youngsters don't have or like to spend 300$ but I am afraid that it will be difficult to find an amp that fits you, READY TO GIG, lower than 250$.
Using a lousy amp, because you have a lousy budget sounds to me that you will be really disappointed, certainly when you turn the volume higher providing you an ugly sound and this is the last thing we wan't to have playing your electric guitar in a gig.
A higher price class is needed.
- Peavey Bandit 112 Guitar Amplifier with TransTube Technology 380$ and 80W is one of the better amps AND good comments
- Ibanez MIMX65 MIMX 65W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp 350$, and some other amps and effects included
- Kustom Quad 65DFX 65W 1x12 300$ and good critics.
- Ibanez TBX65R Tone Blaster Xtreme Guitar Combo Amp 65W  260$ and good critics. There is also an Ibanez 65W 220$.
The last amp: Behringer V-Tone GMX210 Stereo Combo Amp 2x30w 200$ and can be used on stage.
I do hope that I could help some people, it took me more than an hour to search and write this topic. Probably there are other amps, but at least this gives you decent information and I worked hard to find all these stuff.
The only other alternative is: look on eBay.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: CHEAP AND DECENT AMPS

I am picking up this amp to play with in church.

http://line6.com/spideriii/30.html#specs

Does anyone know if 30W thru a 12in speaker will be loud enough to be heard over the drums?
If not I'll have to save up more until the end of the month and get the...heavier...75w unit. *OOF*

I want an amp that I can carry along with my guitar in my hands, without needing a handtruck to move it.
The 75W version is a "handtruck" type amp. I have enough stuff to carry on Sunday without worrying about throwing out a disc in my back carrying my amp too.

I could always just plug my KORG PX4D into the Mixing Board but it just sounds so....hollow...through the main speakers. And there is always that static-hiss too...I can't stand that.

TIA!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I have several amps but my favorite is a little bitty Roland Micro Cube...that little amp sounds awesome and is battery powered! It is great for using in the house and for church stuff we simple crank it up to get the right sound and then mike it into the PA.

I also have a 100watt Peavey Bandit which is great for stage and outdoor stuff but too loud for me in the house. Also keep a Peavey Classic 30 at the church and it is a really great sounding tube amp...it has enough punch and volume that we can play it without miking most of the time.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I have practice amps for my basses that, not surprisingly, don't sound so good with my guitar.  They reproduce the low end very well and the high end not that much.  I use the low end on guitar for occaissional emphasis, so having it come out so loud and clear all the time is not helpful. 

But, I play mostly acoustic.  When I decide to get into some blues on my electric is when I'll get a new amp.  When I do, I will refer back to Doc's notes.  However, one quick question.  Is is reasonable to expect the same guitar amp to sound OK with both electric and acoustic guitars?  I'd have to put in a pickup on my acoustic, or would it be better to get an amp with plugs to take mics and do the '60's and early '70's folk artist thing of miccing the guitar and singing through the same amp?

That's a lot of questions for something that I'm not going to be buying for a while.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A truly awesome amp that I found and bought not too long ago is the Randall RG75 Series 2.  It is PLENTY loud for small to medium gigs, the distortion is beyond amazing, and the clean is crystal clear.  And with the clean, it doesn't distort until you get to a pretty high volume, and that is pretty much the case with all solid-state amps.  And if it really matters to you that much, then keep the volume down lower and mike it up to the PA.  Also, this thing comes with a 4 switch foot-pedal.  One to switch the gain channels, one to switch from gain to clean, one to switch the clean boost on and off, and one to switch the reverb and any effects you have in your loop on and off.

Now, they made a Series 3 of this amp, its the same thing except its got a new circuit (hence, a new series) and a couple of effects.  The 75 watt RG Series 3 will run you about 420-450$ new.  Probably about 300$ or so used.  I got my RG 75 II for 225$ at a local music shop. 

All in all, if i had to rate this out of 10, I would have to give it a 9.  The only reason for the docked point is it's no tube amp.    In simple terms- It's amazing, cheap, and loud.  If you can find one I recommend buying one.

Hope this helped,
Tone_Obsession

Hello Zurf, I have a MARSHALL AS100D acoustic amp. Having a few (2 only) electro acoustic guitars, I went on a day to a big guitar store. I followed their advise, told them that I liked the Marshall 50W and I DIDN'T WANT AT ALL A 100W amp. They "begged " me to compare it with the 100W, 1 chord, decision was made. It is a tube amp, and even if it's called acoustic, I started using the acoustic Marshall more and more using an electric guitar. WHY?
- You have an unbelievable sound, so pure and crystal clear. I tried all my electric guitars on this amp, and you know I have a lot of guitars, and I compared all these guitars on that amp. The BEST SOUNDING guitar on that amp: FENDER TELECASTER, PRS, EPIPHONE SHERATON. I even started to use effects, using a very little "box" TONE WORKS by Korg PANDORA PX4D, for electric guitars. There is another Pandora for acoustic guitars.
That little device has a lot to offer: a lot of amp types, a rhythm section and a lot more different effects. I learned a lot using the different rhythm patterns and it improved a lot my
"rhythm skills"playing always ALONE. It works real great this amp using electric guitars. THE ONLY THING I DON'T KNOW IS: PLAYING ELECTRIC ON A GREAT ACOUSTIC AMP (MARSHALL)
IS THE FACT IF IT WILL BE HARMLESS OR NOT. My opinion is no. THE BEST AMP EVER, is my Fender Cybertwin 130W (2x65) and a combination of tubes and digital modelling.
The amp is quit expensive, but you get a collection of mainly different Fender Amps, like Twin Reverb, Bassman ( a lot) and even more different effects, from metal to a clear sound.
It is all expensive and that's the problem. Line 6 is a lot cheaper and very good, it didn't exist when I bought the Cybertwin. The money? from the insurance companies, after my accident.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Thanks Doc - Very helpful.  Appreciate it.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

For everyone, but more for Zurf, I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS HARMLESS BUT THIS IS MY FAVOURITE AMP. I have 2 microphones, and somewhere I read, where you have to put these mics, and I don't find it back. Can it be 1 pointed at the bridge and the other pointed in the direction of the 12th fret?
I, owning too many guitars, followed the "ancient" way. In the sixties, there were almost no electro-acoustic guitars, and due to a video clip, with Bob Dylan, and DONOVAN, I made my decision, and it works fine. Since I live here alone, my ex comes now and than, she helps me a lot, and we are good friends (divorce in 1995) but she can be so helpful that I don't find some things back, because I don't find my second mic. I've tried it, and it is a precision work to place those things correct.
About amps, I will look on eBay.

gitaardocphil wrote:

For everyone, but more for Zurf, I DON'T KNOW IF IT IS HARMLESS BUT THIS IS MY FAVOURITE AMP. I have 2 microphones, and somewhere I read, where you have to put these mics, and I don't find it back. Can it be 1 pointed at the bridge and the other pointed in the direction of the 12th fret?
I, owning too many guitars, followed the "ancient" way. In the sixties, there were almost no electro-acoustic guitars, and due to a video clip, with Bob Dylan, and DONOVAN, I made my decision, and it works fine. Since I live here alone, my ex comes now and than, she helps me a lot, and we are good friends (divorce in 1995) but she can be so helpful that I don't find some things back, because I don't find my second mic. I've tried it, and it is a precision work to place those things correct.
About amps, I will look on eBay.

Hmmm....sounds like it's time to watch your ex more closely when she comes to visit.
Or have her stop moving your stuff.

V/R,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Roland Cube. I've the 30W and it's loud but I don't know if it would hold up in a gig situation. The effects are OK - not stomp-box good but usable. The amp models are pretty cool - rich bluesy tones to screaming metal distortion and a clean channel which, at full blast, hasn't broken up at all. They do a 60W version as well. It's never going to compete with an all-valve amp but for those of us on a budget it's pretty cool. Look at the Vox Valvetronix range as well.

No desire to touch the fire,
It's just a...just a sad obsession.

yep Detman, living alone is sometimes good, I've got too much girlfriends, most were models, but if you open the package, it really starts to stink.
I have a little Laney, bass amp, which I used a lot, but having those 3 amps (The Laney amp, I got for 10$, because they wanted to put that amp on the street, because every month, (since a few years it's finished) and there was a something special back then. It is UNBELIEVABLE what people throw away, a new TV, the old on the street, and it was every month the same, people driving with a van, street after street, and looking to the stuff people THROW away. Stuff, still working. I used that Laney amp a lot, on a day I needed the power cable which is identical as the cable you use to connect a PC screen. I didn't use that amp since 2 years. I just looked and it's a BC30. About amps, and effects: as told the greatest amp (subjective) is the Fender Cybertwin, it takes you probably a year to try out all possible combinations, and in fact a effect floorboard is useless here. I use 1 item: Korg Tone Works Pandora PX4D, giving me, besides all the effects in such a small device, the possibility to have a rhythm section. Since the day I started using it, convinced that my rhythm wasn't bad. BIG MISTAKE, now I can tell that my rhythm is pretty good. I don't know at all how many chordians play alone versus a band. Playing now, after exercising a lot with my pandora, is a real pleasure.