Topic: Looking for something to listen to....

Yes Last Rebel has reached another standstill with her usual constant flow of music collecting. The fact of the matter is I need something fresh to listen to, and I don't know what to do. Country I can handle on my own, but maybe yall know some good newer rock bands that I might like?
As yall have probly already noiced I like stuff like skynyrd, zztop, allman brothers, CCR, marshall tucker...
I also listen to Guns N Roses, AC/DC,metallica, Shinedown, Black Stone Cherry, Ozzy Osbourne, little bit of guys like Staind, godsmack, three days grace, theory of a deadman,.... you know that kind of stuff.
  My point is I like rock music that is still music, classic sounding stuff (even zeppellin and pink floyd type stuff),  I don't want it too weak and watered down, but I also don't want it to be all noise....Not into punk (except you know some Nirvana maybe...).
I'm kind fo behind the times with current rock music, I stay up on country naturally. Anybody out there that yall would reccomend considering my taste (which I think yall have a pretty good idea of lol)

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Looking for something to listen to....

Check out the Foo Fighters, Stone Sour (a bit like Staind), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Velvet Revolver (Slash's new band), Audioslave. Unfortunately there isn't much good music being made anymore, but I hope this helps. Also a good old band I saw you didn't list is Thin Lizzy, check them out, especially the Cowboy Song, I think you'll enjoy it. Also, IMO Nirvana is grunge, not punk.

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

How could I forget, Breaking Benjamin. Good band

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Google search   Matt Minglewood  for a great rock and blues
music . He does a song called "Long way from Texas" that I
think you'll like. Go to lyrics for all the words.

Take Care... Badeye.

one caper after another

etc_04 wrote:

Check out the Foo Fighters, Stone Sour (a bit like Staind), Red Hot Chili Peppers, Velvet Revolver (Slash's new band), Audioslave. Unfortunately there isn't much good music being made anymore, but I hope this helps. Also a good old band I saw you didn't list is Thin Lizzy, check them out, especially the Cowboy Song, I think you'll enjoy it. Also, IMO Nirvana is grunge, not punk.

Well thats what I thought but somebody told me 'smells like teen spirit' was sposed to have helped punk music or sumthin, i don't know. Guess I was misinformed, or maybe I took it wrong. I like Nirvana either way, come as you are great song.
Thanks for the comments yall I'll go check these guys out.

hey,you can also listen to the 12 stones they have good songs,i dont know if u know them or not

last_rebel wrote:

Yes Last Rebel has reached another standstill with her usual constant flow of music collecting. The fact of the matter is I need something fresh to listen to, and I don't know what to do. Country I can handle on my own, but maybe yall know some good newer rock bands that I might like?
As yall have probly already noiced I like stuff like skynyrd, zztop, allman brothers, CCR, marshall tucker...
I also listen to Guns N Roses, AC/DC,metallica, Shinedown, Black Stone Cherry, Ozzy Osbourne, little bit of guys like Staind, godsmack, three days grace, theory of a deadman,.... you know that kind of stuff.
  My point is I like rock music that is still music, classic sounding stuff (even zeppellin and pink floyd type stuff),  I don't want it too weak and watered down, but I also don't want it to be all noise....Not into punk (except you know some Nirvana maybe...).
I'm kind fo behind the times with current rock music, I stay up on country naturally. Anybody out there that yall would reccomend considering my taste (which I think yall have a pretty good idea of lol)

Hey reb,

This ain't rock but this guy smokes and is a very nice guy to boot. (Yes I have met and spoke to him, see him play from about 8 feet away.) Check out  www.benise.com and listen to some of his downloads. He is really fluid and listening to different types of music helps and makes you a better rounded player. (Guitar-slinger girl)

Bootlegger.

8 (edited by Tibernius 2007-11-25 16:10:20)

Try Green Day ("American Idiot" and "International Superhits!" albums) and Less Than Jake ("Hello Rockview" and "Borders & Boundaries").
Try Filibuster as well if you like Ska.

A couple more:

Foo Fighters
Queens of the Stone Age

Meshuggah.  These guys have been doing it for years, and they are awesome.

New Millennium Cyanide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5g70w6nto

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have just recently stumbled upon Mary Gauthier, a woman who's songs are both elegant and moving.  Her song "Mercy Now" is simple yet profoundly moving.  Her lyrical sensibilities are brilliant and the songs are marvelous.

Check her out here:
http://www.myspace.com/marygauthier 
And here:
http://www.marygauthier.com/site.php

She is too old to be 'rock', she is too pithy to be 'country' - another artist that doesn't fit into any of the convenient niches.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Check out this young Guy!

Different, but a big hit around these parts.

Damien Rice.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=NoevpThlXKw

Old Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Last Rebel, have you listened to Dave Matthews Band? They are a mainstream rock band but with a lot of influences from jazz, country, latin, and other genres as well. I prefer their live albums (Live at Folsom Field, Live at Red Rocks). You could also check out Dave Matthews' acoustic sets with Tim Reynolds (Live at Luther College) if you're into acoustic music. It's great stuff you should check it out.

LR,
With your like of the southern rock and the sorts I think you'd like Government Mule. Warren Haynes is their lead vocal/guitarist. He also plays currently with the new Allman Brothers, who are also fantastic !! Give it a shot, you might dig it, you might bury it.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

You might try too go back too some oldies,waylon/willie,or goet back too some blues tunes. good luck  dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

More Meshuggah, because they are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6VerKdc … re=related

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

um maybe you coulg reccomend a song by government mule to look up? I went to the website and the audio wouldn;t load up so I'm gonna try somewheres else.
  Dino, while thats an awesome suggestion, I'm pretty well learned when it comes to willie and waylon and the boys. (hank williams, , geroge jones, haggard, david allen coe, ernest tubb, jimmy rodgers, johnny cash, etc. etc.) I also listen to Bb King, john lee hooker, muddy waters,, even some ray charles fats domino, otis redding....
  I also listen to some not so mainstream country music, like Shooter Jennings and Hank III for instance, but rock bands I have trouble keeping up with it seems

You can browse artists and get goverment mule songs.Songs like, Rockin Horse, Soulshine, Mr.Big,
Driven Rain, Brighter Days, Just to name a few.Did you
Google  Matt Minglewood, I think you will like this band.

Take Care... Badeye.

one caper after another

Check this out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PJEGm_Wq1kI

They're a band called Filibuster. The song is "Sutter's Fort"from the album "Deadly HiFi". If you like this style I can find a few more bands.

Okay thanks, yeah they sound pretty good. I like that high and mighty song and drivin' rain, I'm gonna have to go buy some CDs I guess smile
  Matt minglewood's cool too by the way, real nice acousticy blues.

If you like Filibuster you should like Less Than Jake. Sort of Ska-Punk or Ska-Rock. There's an intro to the 2nd song on "Hello Rockview" based on a Motley Crue song.

what about BIG & RICH - haven't they got some country influence?

if you like classic rock,  a bit old school, you might also like THE STROKES. despite the hype, they're really quite good.

yeah Big N Rich IS country... well they call themselves that anyway. Got some pretty good tunes, I like that 'six feet down' song. My favorite thing about them is 'two foot fred' big_smile
I'll go check out the strokes though, thanks again yall,
                                                                                 LR