Topic: Am I reading Tabs right

Am I reading Tabs right?

Whenever I see them, it goes:
e, B, G, D, A, E

Now am I reading it upside down, because I was told that the biggest string is 'E' and the smallest is 'e'.
So now if I play it like this it goes from largest to smallest as E, A, D, G, B, e. If this is true then it makes the Tabs look upside down, and if they are upside down then why.

Sometimes I'll see songs Tabbed with the letters and sometimes there are none.

Am I just thinking to much into this?

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Re: Am I reading Tabs right

different people write tabs different ways. usually i just tell because the "little" e string is always near the B. if there arent any symbols i just play it both ways and figure out which one fits the song better. hope that helped...

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

The most common way of writing tab is like this

e----------------------------------------
B----------------------------------------
G------------------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------
E----------------------------------------

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Guitar tab
Guitar tab consists of a series of horizontal lines forming a staff (or stave) similar to standard notation. Each line represents one of the instrument's strings therefore standard guitar tab has a six-line staff and bass guitar tab has four lines. The top line of the tablature represents the highest pitched string of the guitar. By writing tablature with the lowest pitched notes on the bottom line and the highest pitched notes on the top line of the tablature follows the same basic structure and layout of Western Standard Notation.

The following examples are labelled with letters on the left denoting the string names, with a lower-case "e" for the high E string. Tab lines may be numbered 1-6 instead, representing standard string numbering, where "1" is the high E string, "2" is the B string etc.

The numbers that are written on the lines represent the fret used to obtain the desired pitch. For example, the number 3 written on the top line of the staff indicates that the player should press down at the third fret on the high E (first string). Number 0 denotes the nut - that is, an open string.

For chords, a letter above or below the tab staff denotes the root note of the chord.

Examples of guitar tab notation:

The chords E, F, and G:

e|---0---1---3---
B|---0---1---0---
G|---1---2---0---
D|---2---3---0---
A|---2---3---2---
E|---0---1---3---
     E   F   G
Various lines, arrows and other symbols are used to denote bends, hammer-ons, trills, Pull-offs, slides, and so on.

Guitar tab is not standardised and different sheet music publishers adopt different conventions. Songbooks and guitar magazines usually include a legend setting out the convention in use.

Hope this information was helpful.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

HiEagle

I got told by  someone that wrote music in tab form and in sheet music form that it looks upside down because that is the way you look at your neck when holding the guitar. When you look down on it the e is actually at the top and the E is nearest you at the bottom.

I never argued with that as it made quite good sense.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks to everyone for the help.

This helps to clear a lot up for me. Granted I'm still in the process of learning to play, But it was a question all the same.

Sometimes when I would read the music it would appear to conflict with other, but to understand that there really isn't any universal Tab, as well as the direction of the Tab reading is clearing it up. I was told the right way I was just getting confused on how I was looking at it.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

eagleeye5851 wrote:

Am I reading Tabs right?

Whenever I see them, it goes:
e, B, G, D, A, E

Now am I reading it upside down, because I was told that the biggest string is 'E' and the smallest is 'e'.
So now if I play it like this it goes from largest to smallest as E, A, D, G, B, e. If this is true then it makes the Tabs look upside down, and if they are upside down then why.

Sometimes I'll see songs Tabbed with the letters and sometimes there are none.

Am I just thinking to much into this?

yea u r thinking way to much if u know that e is the little e then ur fine and just go with what ppl put up!:D