Topic: buying a new guitar

I really want to get a new guitar because I am sick of my cheap squier.  I want a guitar that is the best i can get for a moderate amout of money thanks for any ideas!!!!!!!

Re: buying a new guitar

What's a moderate amount of money for you? Wild guess: under $500: you really get what you pay for most of the time. I've got two Mexican-made Stratocasters, a Japanese Tele and an American Strat. The difference is audible and the feel is substantial with the American Strat. Besides owning several cheap guitars (yes, two Squiers too), I personally find Washburns and Yamaha acceptable at relatively low prices. Another one of my near future guitars is the G&L Bluesboy Tribute for $599, but that's a Tele-style guitar. You can see that I'm not a Gibson fan, mainly because they are too pricey for me and what I've played always had a little annoying quality issue. If I have to shell out $1500 for a guitar, I want to hear quality and expect the maker to give it their best workmanship, careful design. Unfortunately many instruments below $500 are mass-produced and quality control seems to be a foreign concept when it comes to building guitars. Check out the G&L Tribute series...

I did a lot of research and bought a Zager ZAD-50 for $499. A great quality instrument, great sound, and great service. I would advise checking them out.

thanks for the info . what does everybody think ofthe jackson electric  v guitars i like the look but how  do they sound 
dewey

First off what's bugging you with the Squire? Second what kind of sound are you after?

There are lots of quality guitars out there and alot are mass-produced in the Far East. Production standards have never been higher. Don't be put off an instrument because it's not expensive or doesn't have a big name.

Have a look at the tuners, are they modern self locking types? You can test them by tuning the guitar, then strumming and bending plenty, then checking the tuning again. Check out the neck, are there any bumps or bends in it, does it play well all the way down, do the frets buzz, is the action way high. Once you know what you are looking for, the best buys start to come into focus.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

dewey the walrus wrote:

I really want to get a new guitar because I am sick of my cheap squier.  I want a guitar that is the best i can get for a moderate amount of money thanks for any ideas!!!!!!!

Hi, I got a MIM (made in Mexico) Strat last year,I wanted something good to learn on and i haven't regretted it at all, its ALOT of guitar for the money, I paid £320 for the HSS or Fat Strat as its also known, it has 2 single coils and a Humbucker in the bridge to give you that fatter tone. Beautifully made, and the sound is not far off the American version so I understand. Many of the parts are shipped across the border to Mexico and assembled there cheaper, I'm not sure what the exact differences are, I think the bridge is slightly different, and the pickups are probably not as good as the American version,but you can change the pups, there are so many different types on the market. If anyone else knows the exact differences i'd love to know. I would definitely give it a look, the Strat does everything, good all rounder, I love it, mine is Arctic white, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. All the best Andy.

the problem i have with the squier is the sound. the sound i like is the heavier sounds. and the squier sounds really twangy from the whole guitar. like bad twangy the bridge tunig is awful and the neck and is slightly warped by the head. another thing is it sounds like a two year old installed the pickups. it is hard to get things fixed when you live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest place that sells guitars is 2 hours away. the fret buzz is a problem for the guitar too. i can spend( at the max) $600. preferably elctric so any idaes please tell me

thanks dewey

Sounds like that Squire is a single coil strat copy. For heavier sounds dual humbucker axes will deliver. I was going to suggest a pickup upgrade to the Squire but adding humbuckers may require re-routing and all sorts of electrical hassle, so a new guitar isn't a bad idea. Checkout Vintage's Les Paul copy or maybe their Zip. Keep an eye on the sales you may see PRS SE Tremonti's reduced.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

thanks for the info  ive got another question for cytania  haw does the jakson elecrtic guitars sound if you could tell me that would be great

Dewey

Your description of the Squier really indicates that it's time you get a guitar that's serviceable -fretbuzz, warp and thin sound will kill any enthusiasm for guitar playing. Here's something I want to throw into the discussion: Your ability to maintain your instrument. I've bought guitars (for example a Mexican 70s Reissue Strat) that were obviously set up by a blind person -no offense intended. If you learn how to adjust the neck, file frets, maybe replace a nut and a pickup, you can make even a low-end guitar into a very decent player.

In the process you might get more attached to the guitar, or at least get an understanding of how these things work. After years of buying and fixing up cheapos and rejects, I've made it my hobby to build guitars from scratch... It's by no means cheaper to build than to buy new ones, but I eventually learned to prefer a beat up, serviceable player over a fancy looking bullsh#$* guitar.  I like the fact that Fenders (and others as well) have interchangeable parts that you can salvage, or buy as you have the money. Bottomline: maybe a book about guitar maintenance is a better investment than the first good-looking guitar you see in a store. Have fun on your journey, and PLAY ON!

I agree with Tennessee and Cytania... A good set up can cure a lot of problems with a cheaper guitar and if you are looking for a heavy sound then something with humbucker pickers might work better. Although a Strat can really chunk up heavy with the right amp and stuff...Hendrix, Trower, etc..   I like the Fender Strats and Tellys but a lower cost guitar that might work for you could be an Epiphone Les Paul...I have an Epi LP Specially that sounds pretty good for heavy stuff. Also one of the best buys on Ebay I think is the Peavey Wolfgangs...for five or six hundred dollars you can get an awesome guitar that will go from clean to dirty and sound great! Fixing up your Squire might cost too much and still not get the sound that you are looking for...a Mexican Strat has all sort of potential but they have quality wood and pretty decent tuners and such.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

I agree with Tennessee and Cytania... A good set up can cure a lot of problems with a cheaper guitar and if you are looking for a heavy sound then something with humbucker pickers might work better. Although a Strat can really chunk up heavy with the right amp and stuff...Hendrix, Trower, etc..   I like the Fender Strats and Tellys but a lower cost guitar that might work for you could be an Epiphone Les Paul...I have an Epi LP Specially that sounds pretty good for heavy stuff. Also one of the best buys on Ebay I think is the Peavey Wolfgangs...for five or six hundred dollars you can get an awesome guitar that will go from clean to dirty and sound great! Fixing up your Squire might cost too much and still not get the sound that you are looking for...a Mexican Strat has all sort of potential but they have quality wood and pretty decent tuners and such.

Michael Kelly Guitars, Will order mine this weekend (after the California guitar show) (went to buy one last week but did not have the color I wanted). Check out the website www.michaelkellyguitars.com and read the guitar player magazine review on them. I am picking up a patriot $499.00 list (american) very well made good craftmanship. I played a Patriot limited 2 weeks ago, Before I order I am going to play a Epi LP standard, Gibson LP classic & standard and a Patriot to compare all three will Review when I'm done. The patriot limited I played was a good guitar and is a good guitar to hot rod with up grades or play as is. Will let you know after I pull the trigger.

Bootlegger.

dewey the walrus wrote:

the problem i have with the squier is the sound. the sound i like is the heavier sounds. and the squier sounds really twangy from the whole guitar. like bad twangy the bridge tunig is awful and the neck and is slightly warped by the head. another thing is it sounds like a two year old installed the pickups. it is hard to get things fixed when you live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest place that sells guitars is 2 hours away. the fret buzz is a problem for the guitar too. i can spend( at the max) $600. preferably elctric so any idaes please tell me

thanks dewey

Dewey

You'll have to check alot of different guitars to find the deep sounds you want ... I was looking for the same thing when I got my first electric (Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR) ... if you want deep dark sounding tones the Schecter line will suit you ... the action on the neck is very fast as well (meaning the strings are close to the fret board) ... I paid $699 for mine but you can get the Damon for example for under $500

http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Defa … c=schecter

Also as everyone stated, if your rig set up with a good amp it'll change the way your guitars sound ... I use a Line6 75 Amp and the sounds change depending on the setting ... my buddie uses a Fender 900 Deluxe and the sound from my guitar on his amp is way different than mine (mine sounds a whole lot better smile

It mostly comes down to personal preference, i.e. feel of the guitar, action your looking for, sounds, etc and what feels comfortable to you

Listen to everyones advice ... and try out what you read and see what you like!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Hi folks, I can't help but chime in here. I always get excited about a good looking, good sounding guitar, but none can do it all. Single-coils and humbuckers, hollow, semi-hollow and solid body...My taste in playing has changed so many times that I ended up with about 15 different ones -and they all sound a little different. WARNING: guitars are addictive. I'm waiting for the day when my health-insurance covers this syndrome, called GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). Play on.

lol right on Strat ... I kept saying once I bought my Les Paul I'd have all I need ... but I still keep looking ... can you recommend a good insurance policy that covers GAS????

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75