Topic: The Creative Process

I was just thinking about songs and other things we create from our head and thought I would write about it. It sure seems like I can’t stop ideas sometimes and other time’s it’s like squeezing water from a rock. Aynway, I hope you all like it.

The Creative Process By Jeff Gilpin

January 19th, 2008

Verse 1

[D]Do you ever feel like you [D#]have an idea

[D]Forming inside your [Am7]head

[D]Like a gigantic [D#]nebulous cloud

Hiding [Am7]secrets that [D#]can’t be [D]read

Verse 2

[D]You want to help it [D#] grow

[D]But you’re not sure [Am7]how

A[D]fraid meddling will [D#]only slow

[Am7]What you [D#] want right [D]now

[D#]So goes the creative [D]process

[Am7]So delicate yet so [D]strong

[D#]Where the merest of ad[D]justments

[Am7]Can make it [D#]all so [D]wrong

Verse 3

[D]Not like growing a [D#]flower

[D]Truly far from bota[Am7]ny

More a [D]process where you have the [D#]power

To a[Am7]scend [D#]mediocre[D]ty

Verse 4

But [D]what you can send [D#]skyward

Can [D]also come crashing [Am7]down

[D]Overlook a lack of [D#]logic

[Am7]Ignore a [D#]thought un[D]sound

Verse 5

Then [D]eureka at last you’ve [D#]got it

As you [D]gaze on you crea[Am7]tion

You [D]wonder who’d have [D#]thought it

[Am7]From your [D#]own imagina[D]tion

Verse 6

[D]Do you put it out for [D#]all to see

Or [D]should you maybe you keep it in[Am7]side

[D]Somethings are just for [D#]you or me

[Am7]Others you [D#]just can’t [D]hide

[D#]May the creative [D]process

[Am7]Bring forth children to us [D]all

Who will [D#]gaze on and bear [D]witness

To [Am7]ideas that [D#]grow so [D]tall

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: The Creative Process

Hi Jets

can I be honest here? thanks.

I love the lyrics to the verses, they are superb. The chorus lyrics ,hmmm, well, I just dunno about them . They are not bad, I tihnk it is when reading the words just seem different ( I have no idea what I am talking about here exactly, somewhere in my head I tihnk I know what I am finding hard to say lol)

ok, but these chords?????? I need to hear this getting played, just like most other songs that I think the chords do not go. It is probably just the way I play them maybe?
so go on, get it on pix's youtube site for chordians or rogers myspace site.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hey ken - You can always be honest with me. I was trying to use the chorus to show the dynamic nature of creating where sometimes it flows without pause and other times it seems so easy to fowl it up with only the slightest tinkering. That was the idea anyway. As for the chords. I sometimes like to use D and D# together just because it gives a different flavor to the music if you know what I mean. I thought it fit the lyrics but I wrote the lyrics first this time and most times I usually come up with the music and words together. It is hard to get the idea without hearing the lyrics I know and I really need to get on the video side recording to help. Thanks for your comments ...food for thought.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hi Jets60,
It's good to see that others have the same hickups in their creative processes. I liked the way that you put it all together, the creative process, and the uncertanty you sometimes feel at it,s completion.
Well done sir, keep on writting.
Regards & cheers
Kiwi John

hi jeff everyone has some type of creativity in them it just blossoms in different ways,the idea is to harness the ability and make it work for you,lovely song jeff...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi Jets,

I only said to a friend the other day, i was born 30 years to early!

Some ideas did come to fruition. But so many i see now been used by others.

It is sometimes hard not to say, i had that idea 25 years ago!  But didnt or couldnt know how to handle it.

Good Song.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks you all.

John - I never really know what to expect when I sit down to write. I have tons of unfinished songs that I want to get back to sometime and others just seem come out easy the first time.

Daddy - I do my best to write at least a song or two a week just to keep my hand in but some weeks are better than others. When I have to stop for a while for whatever reason I've found it very difficult to get those creative juices flowing going again.

Lena - I feel the same way but I never thought about writing until I was over 40. Now that I do write I have a plenty of experiences to draw from.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff,

This will make you laugh when I started playing this I thought the chord sequence sounded more like a discord sequence. That was until I realised I was playing Db and not D# - must be getting past it!! Anyhow once I corrected my error I found it went together very well, like Ken I struggled at first and it took me until verse 3 to get the timing OK. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your creative process, well done.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Roger - It's tough sometimes trying new things and translating from brain to the actual sound to a cord that makes sense. After that, seeing that it is in written from only, someone else has to understand it. I guess I do need to record a video of one of my songs one of these days.

J  E  T  S