Topic: "Everybody Knows"

Would love to hear this one played by Lyle Lovett and His Large Band or The Squirrel Nut Zippers.  I'm hearing dazzling brass, wailing saxes & throbbing rhythm section punching out the tune.  Some big, shiny healthy women harmonizing on the recurring 'everybody knows' line would also be sweet.  Doesn't hurt to dream . . .

Will record this one soon as I can (but probably without the full orchestra, alas).

Everybody KnowsJames McCormick, January 27, 2008

There [Dm]ain't no real secrets in a [Bb]tiny town like this

[Dm]E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y [A7]k-n-o-w-s

If you're [Dm]getting into trouble or [Bb]getting into bliss

[Dm]Ev-er-y-[A]bo-dy [Dm]knows

Every-[Bb]body's got their sources, every-[Dm]body's in the loop

[Bb]E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y [A7]k-n-o-w-s

Every-[Dm]body is an expert, every-[Bb]body's got the scoop

[Dm]Ev-er-y-[A]bo-d-y [Dm]knows

[Gm]Grapevine grows so fast, [Dm]feeding on the tears

[Gm]Fertilized with envy, [Dm]jealousy and fears

[Gm]Growing through the houses, the [Dm]cafes and schools

[Gm]Growing through the taverns, [A]growing through the pews . . . [A7] . .

There [Dm]ain't no real secrets in this [Bb]sleepy little town

If you're [Dm]hanging on the edge or [Bb]tumbling down

Every-[Bb]body hears the rumors, every-[Dm]body knows the truth

Every-[Dm]body's got the facts, every-[Bb]body's got the proof

[Gm]Rumor mill runs so hard, [Dm]churning night and day

[Gm]Cranking out the skinny [Dm]every which-a-way

Em-[Gm]bellishments are juicier than [Dm]actual facts

We'd [Gm]all be bloody paupers if there [A]was a gossip tax . . . [A7] . .

There [Dm]ain't no real secrets in a [Bb]tiny town like this

If you're [Dm]getting into trouble or [Bb]getting into bliss

Every-[Bb]body's got their sources, every-[Dm]body's in the loop

Every-[Dm]body is an expert, every-[Bb]body's got the scoop

[Dm]Ev-er-y-[A]bo-d-y [Dm]knows . . . .

(whispered loudly , chords very quiet)

[Dm]Ev-er-y-[A]bo-d-y [Dm]knows . . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: "Everybody Knows"

james great lyrics the next best thing to a full horn section is a polyphonic synthisizer and where your gonna get the big shiney healthy woman if you find one keep me informed, i could use some backup vocals or mabey just the healthy woman (not to big)

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Great song again James,

How you keep finding the melodies is beyond me..

This wee island here is like an open book. Every body knows everybody/ or related..

You know im not beyond hearing whats happening. but! I hate the embellishements others feel the need to do.

What speaks out from the tongue has a nasty habit of hitting back.. So I try to be positive about all events.

We all walk this path with some form of pain, so we musnt glorify in others misfortunes..

Old Doll.

Em.. I could organize about 6 shiny healthy woman for you.  They would only want the bar left open while rehearsing lol

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks for the feedback Russell & Old Doll!  Glad you like it.

I guess every town is a tiny town - people are just naturally interested in other people.

Old Doll, I'll stock up the refreshing beverages!
I'm thinking that since I teach Statistics, we'll call the band 'Big Data and the Deviates'!

i would advise calling yourself "big data"you shouldn't have to much trouble locating deviates there plentifull on the web

No shortage of deviates, for sure!
In Statistics, a 'deviation' is simply the difference between expected and observed results.  But, I guess the reference is maybe a little too obscure . . .

How about:
'Big Data and the Alternative Hypotheses'
or 'Big Data and the Null'
or 'Big Data and the Empirical Rule'
or 'Big Data and the Heteroskedastics'
or 'Big Data and the Variance'

. . . guess I just like the 'and the . . .' part.

Actually, I'm waiting for the TV to have "Statistical Idol" - where aspiring young wonks can perform feats of inferential reasoning, data interpretation, and quantitative analysis before huge adoring crowds.  Now that would be worth tuning in!

i dont know james its sounds like Bill Gates going through puberty

Wha James,

ar ya trin to addle me or wha? im jus glad ye didin say "Big Doll" an the whatever. Ya berrer learn how te

talk proper for de girlies. sure de wont have a notion of wa yr sayin. lol

Nice one Russell.  { Gates in Puberty }

Old Doll.

Alas, Old Doll, talking proper to the girlies has never been my area of expertise.

Like most men, I rely heavily upon the natural empathy of females (along with my irresistible boyish charm) to get me by in this harsh world.

How about 'The Vessels' . . . any better?

lol  lol James,

Empty ones!  More like the Vestal Virgins at this stage.

One or 2 of these ladies would knock the shyness outa you in no time.

Ive seen these woman leave men reeling.. You just stick to your lovely Mrs.

Believe me its safer.

Some Virgin! On the ridiculous at times. lol

Old Doll.

But sure we all need foolishness of the heart sometimes.

if your looking for a eye catching name for a groupe may i offer the following "crap and the aristicrats" (no reflection on your song intended) just a funny thought that flashed into my frontal lobes it would be interesting to see how many names for groups we chordians can conjure up there would be no limit i imagin

12 (edited by Zurf 2008-01-30 21:39:24)

big_smile

I grew up in a small town.  My Momma knew everybody and everybody knew my Momma.  I couldn't get away with anything.  One time I was acting up downtown and by the time I got home I was in for it.  I asked how she knew what I was up to so recently.  She told me, "Boy!  You can't fart on Main Street without me knowing what you had for lunch." 

Small towns are just like that.

On band names, pick up any newspaper.  There are band names just waiting to be discovered.  Here are a few I've derived from articles in a copy of Field & Stream sitting on my desk. 

Cannonball Hunters
NG and the Community
Gang Greene
Gunter and the Mecca
Radiant Warmth
Ram Ball and the Riggers
Eddie and the Current Seams

- Zurf

p.s. Big Data and the Deviants is an absolutely capital name for a band.  Go with that!

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi James,

I just gave "Everybody Knows" a run through. A great chord sequence and lyric and, being a village boy myself, I know exactly what you mean.

My suggestion would be 'James and the Statistics' for your band name.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks, Roger!

The chord sequence just sort of happened when I was exploring what can happen when you start in a minor key.

This song will be my next recording.  Within the next day or two I'll have the time to produce yet a 'raw & flawed' version of this song.  Unfortunately, Old Doll and her chums probably won't be on hand . . . .

James,
   I love this one . Particularly
your use of minor chords . It's amazing what they can do for a song . I try to use them in my humble little works when ever I think the lyrics will carry the feeling .
   I would like to post some of mine if I can figure out this " formatting thing "???!!

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Hi G S E & thanks for liking this song - I would have had it recorded by now, but we have house full of flu-infested sick people right now.  Best if I wait until I have the place to myself.

The formatting thing really is not so bad - - - see the 'sticky' notice up at the top of the Songwriting section.  If you put it up and it is not working, I'll take a look and fix whatever needs changing to make it work.

Would love to see some of your compositions - - where do you live?  James

hi james a brilliant lyrical composition as usual ,we sometimes get told things before we hear them officially ourselves ,it then causes arguements because we have to hear it second hand,its usually,did you know,or have you heard about ,and little bits get added on as it circulates and you end up with a fuul blown incident....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

James , I live waaaaay up here in west central minnesota where it's been so cold lately that I don't even want to take an instrument out unless it will fit in my supercab (which is usually too full of tools ). By the way , be sure and let me know when " Statistical Idol " airs , as it might be the only thing worth watching now days !!........

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

James,

I am a newbie not only to the guitar, but to the Chordie site as well, but I must say, I have been, and continue to be, impressed with your songwriting, and playing. I have visited your myspace and had a goofy grin pasted to my mug the whole time.

Your unpretentious and sometimes surprising wit is an uncommon and refreshing virtue, both in your e-conversations here, and in your lyrics. I pause at each of your entries, where ever I happen across them, and usually continue with a smile.

Well done, again, and thank you.

Just play

Hello Oldnewbie & wow . . . thanks for the encouraging words!  The chordie forum is a great place to meet other people striving to make music - this is the internet at its best.

I didn't start recording my songs until about a year ago.  The gentle urging of Roger Guppy finally motivated me to take the plunge - Thanks again, Roger!

I have just posted a 'raw & flawed' recording of "Everybody Knows" to my MySpace Music page.
However, it seems to be in 'processing purgatory' for the time being . . .
http://www.myspace.com/r200james

My recording 'Everybody Knows' is finally available on MySpace Music.
Seems it got stuck in some processing snarl and I couldn't delete and re-post until this morning.

Sorry for announcing it was there prematurely . . .

Please give it a listen
http://www.myspace.com/r200james

Lovely recording James.

Great song. Auto harp I love. Such a different sound. Voice sounding

good also. Yes! a winner all round.

Old Doll.

Thanks, Old Doll!
Sorry the 'girlies' couldn't help with the recording . . . I certainly could have used some help!

The human voice is a fretless instrument.  That fact is painfully obvious when I listen to my singing and hear some of the clinkers that are always there.  Not to worry though - it has never stopped me from trying to make music.

"clinkers" are what give our songs character, James!

Each installment is a unique work of art!

(at least that's what I keep telling myself big_smile)

Just play

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Guitar chord forum - chordie → Songwriting → "Everybody Knows"