Topic: Electric equitment

Hey

I have been happy with my small 10watt AMP until lately. I have gotten serious about playing. So i want to upgrade my AMP and guitar and get some new things like footpedals.
Can anyone recomend a good AMP that is 50watt (50 is all i want for now and failry cheap)
and give me information on footpedals and stuff like that?

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

Re: Electric equitment

nonetoxic,

It's natural to be growing out of a smaller amp.  However, you don't need to go too big.  Most great sounding amps are between 30-50 watts!  If you're on a budget, Line6 makes good amps for the money.  If you want name brand or tube amps, you'll be paying much more.   A good Fender tube amp will run between $350-$750.  Other brands like Vox, Peavey, and Marshall may be in the similar ballpark.  But, you will run into some great deals like Craigslist or Ebay from time to time.  I found my Fender Hot Rod on Ebay for about $150.  But, it needed a new reverb pot.  That cost me another $100, but she runs great now! 

Good luck!

You'll find 30W amps are more common but in some ways I'd concentrate on speaker size as amp figures can lie (50watt is most common in bass amps). Look for twelve inch speakers that give a clean sound (dirt can always be introduced by a pedal). Peavey Valveking 112 (also two 12" speakers the 212) and Kustom Defender are worth a look and not expensive.

Pedals - if you're getting a decent amp you should be able to dial in a good bit of distortion there so an overdrive pedal isn't the first to get. I'd recommend a Compression pedal as this has a wide range of uses. You may also find a boost pedal useful try one when buying the amp and see if it gives an edge, Electro Harmonix's KO is an interesting variation on this.

If you are in the market for a guitar as well you are in a great position to try out amp/guitar/pedal combinations and drive a shop crazy. Don't decide on one and then match everything to it, keep you mind open and options fluid (store assistants hate this, but do it anyway). So try a single coil with some amps then try out a humbucker guitar with the same amps. Then try pedals with it and see how both react. The treble boost pedals I mentioned behave differently with different amps (must be tube though) and guitars (depends on the tone pot).

Let us know more about the sort of sound you are gravitating towards and we can advise more (if you said metal then I'd recommend humbuckers, a Marshall and a metalzone type pedal, if you said country I'd recommend single coils, Fender amp and a compressor etc.).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Great post Cytania.

I'm the opposite of Nonetoxic, and if you have any input, would love to hear it.  I have a 60 watt Hartke hybrid amp, but want something smaller so my ears don't ring everytime I have a good go with my epi les paul.
I was thinking one of the line 6 modeling amps, but I hear good things about the Kustom 16 watt amp which has a celestion speaker--know anything about them?  What's your advice for an amp in the 10-15 watt range?

Lots of really good amps in the 30 to 50 watt range...actually you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between a 30 and 50 in most cases as far as sound volume goes. Most of my experience is with Peavey products. I have a Classic 30 tube amp that compares well with anything out there. The peavey trans-tube (transistor amps) are less expensive, very durable, and have great sound.  Can't really go wrong with any of the Mid range Fender amps. The Fender Tube amps are exceptional! There are lots of really good products out...  Hopefully you would have the opportunity to simply plug in and play and find what works best for your needs. I think you'll find that any of the 30 watt amps are loud enough for most of the smaller gigs and sessions and can always be miked into the PA for larger venues!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.