Topic: STRAT TELE LES PAUL

There are a lot of topics about these guitars.
WHY BUYING
- a stratocaster
- a telecaster
- a les paul
As you see only models, no brands.
The only theory I have is OVEREXPOSURE. ADD the fact that this are the most "discussed" guitars.
Turn your TV on, watching a band performing, what do you see? STRAT - TELE - LES PAUL. I'm not arguing about and "Ibanez", and "ESP" and "Dean"...This 3 "MODELS are more than enough.
I know "die hard fans using other brands", but for at least 90% of us, and bands, we all dream about having a STRAT, TELE and LES PAUL. Squier, MIM or MIA Fenders, EPIPHONE or GIBSON.
IN EUROPE 30 years ago, and you walked through a guitar store, their stock was these 3 different guitars. All chordians older than 40 years old will confirm this. (ONE BIG POINT: I AM SPEAKING OF HERE IN "EUROPE")
When I traded my GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO (a built-on-a-Monday guitar, NEVER STAID IN TUNE) thanks to a high ranked custom on the Airport, for $400, and 2 years later: I got 900$ in the music store, and I left with a PRS Custom 24, 3 months old, adding 700$. This brand was UNKNOWN, SO CHANGING A GIBSON for an UNKNOWN guitar?
I didn't hesitate to buy it. HERE IS A KIND OF AN EXAMPLE of buying a guitar who was not a STRAT, TELE, or LP. I bought this guitar on a Saturday noon, went to a McDONALDS, returned for the PRS, never forgetting the words: in the 45 minutes you were gone, we had 3 different musicians coming back for this guitar, on sale only 48 hours. FOR ME THIS WAS a "proof" that this might be a great guitar. And YES IT IS. So here in Belgium the choice wasn't that big, only 10-15 years ago.
EXCEPT FOR the "X-FACTOR" I THINK THAT WE ARE "HYPNOTISED" by famous bands playing these models. Can YOU forget a Led ZEPPELIN with Jimmy Page playing on GIBSON, or SRV and his STRAT.
That is the only reason I can find. BUT IS IT THE BEST "must-have" CHOICE? Buying an Epiphone LP for 500$ telling that this will be their main guitar instead of a Gibson LP. Most of guitar players I know, changed their EPIPHONE or a FENDER MIM, to buy the "real" thing, a FENDER MIA, A GIBSON LP.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: STRAT TELE LES PAUL

You're right when you talk about seeing the great bands and artists playing them.  People who are AC/DC fans often will gravitate toward SG's, SRV and Clapton fans toward Strats, and so on.  This is especially true when you see the "signature" models-there are many different "signature" Fenders and Squiers, and a good number of Gibsons and Epis too.  So you're right, a lot of it is "overexposure".

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

3 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-02-06 12:56:05)

hogwash! the reason good guitar players are playing les pauls,telecasters,and stratocasters is they are the hallmark of quality and have set the standard in the industry from the beginning.all you have to do is observe what the rest of the brands resemble if they dont look like a fender or a gibson model odds are the newbie guitarist will not look twice and thats why a vintage fender or gibson demands a high price ticket.so while copies may be as good or better the fact is they are still copies not the origional.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by cytania 2008-02-06 15:19:54)

20 years ago in the UK a guitar shop might have been full of Jackson, Charvel and B.C. Rich guitars. There are trends in guitars like in the 80s headless Hohner (and was it Steinberg?) type guitars were cool, very hard to find now.

3 shapes you mentioned are practical shapes, which can't be said of the 80s guitars I mentioned, B C Rich is all pointy angles and Hohner reduced everything down to a stick with nothing to play against.

In 60s Britain real American instruments were expensive and hard to get. Guitarists made do with brands like Burns, Hofner, Vox, Hagstrom, Watkins; which were OK but somehow lacked the finesse of Fender and Gibson. European instruments appeared heavier, browner, less well thought out. American instruments had cool names, amazing colours and Western attitude.

In the 70s real Fenders started appearing but these were poor quality Mexican made and of course the Japanese began the copy craze. Good instruments got passed down from player to player even when heavily played, hence some of the over-loved but toneful guitars used in punk.

I also get the impression that in 2008 the only Fenders around are expensive Custom Shop specials and I haven't seen a Gibson for months. A little bird tells me that American distributors have very little interest in Europe due to the poor (for the US) dollar euro exchange rate. It ain't worth the USA to be exporting. All I'm seeing in several shops is Squier, Ibanez and PRS.

For me the strat is THE classic shape, it's the ultimate ergodynamicly.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Russell_Harding wrote:

hogwash! the reason good guitar players are playing les pauls,telecasters,and stratocasters is they are the hallmark of quality and have set the standard in the industry from the beginning.all you have to do is observe what the rest of the brands resemble if they dont look like a fender or a gibson model odds are the newbie guitarist will not look twice and thats why a vintage fender or gibson demands a high price ticket.so while copies may be as good or better the fact is they are still copies not the origional.

You're right, that's why so many great guitarists chose models like Strats, Teles, LP's, and SG's.  But when people see their idols playing these guitars, they want them too.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

You're right, that's why so many great guitarists chose models like Strats, Teles, LP's, and SG's.  But when people see their idols playing these guitars, they want them too.

With all do respects the reason why they or anyone bought the brands and models mentioned is because they were the only one's available.  Guitars at the time were hand made (with the use of electric machines) not on cnc machines like now.

Bootlegger.

they may have been the only ones available but little improvement in sound and quality has emerged so i stick with my first post with all due respect i might add what improvement could be made that hasn't been done?

bootleger wrote:
06sc500 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

With all do respects the reason why they or anyone bought the brands and models mentioned is because they were the only one's available.  Guitars at the time were hand made (with the use of electric machines) not on cnc machines like now.

Bootlegger.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

As I wrote in this topic: why Fender/Gibson, NON ACOUSTIC GUITARS.
- 30 years ago in Europe, BELGIUM = every music store had these brands. At that time, I could only dream about these guitars, while my first guitar was a YAMAHA FG 300 (= 300$ in 1978).
- I remember that Fender's TELECASTER was 25% cheaper than a STRATOCASTER.
- My first electric was a GIBSON LP STUDIO, made on a MONDAY --> 2 songs = tune again.
- No reissues, no relics, no tribute guitars. Only the colours were different, also the price.
It's only since 20-25 years that more and more brands were available.
- GIBSON: LP STANDARD, LP CUSTOM and an SG.
I don't know 1 thing about Music Stores in the USA.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

In the late 50's and early 60's I started playing guitar...an old Martin that a friend had. My father brought me a Goya from Japan that was a Martin copy...I really wanted an electric guitar just like the one Don Rich had. Don played a Telecaster and was lead player for Buck Owens. Then along comes the Beatles, Stones, etc.. and I admired the guitar, a Telecaster, that yielded mighty riffs in the hands of Keith Richards... I couldn't afford so pretty much did without...played a friends Fender Stratocaster (probably a 62 or 63) and some really cheap and bad imports. Finally when I was able to buy a quality electric I bought a Peavey Falcon...an American made guitar that closely resembled a Strat. Later I was finally able to really go out and buy the guitar of my choice! I picked out an American made Fender Telecaster in yellow finish. That's the guitar that I had always wanted and still have it...    Currently I am much more financially able an have started collecting player guitars...about 16 of them....Strats, Tellys, G&L, Les Paul Gibson, and others...  Each is diffent and has it's own sound and playability...none are really better than the others, just unique. I love em all but I can easily how one develops a preference for a particular sound. If I could have only one then it would be that first Telecaster. What's next? Probably a PRS, an Ibanez Satriani model, a hard tail Wolfgang...and on and on.....

Musicians have never had it so good...so many choices of instruments and accessories...both American made and import...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I think there's some truth to what the thread starter is saying. Sometimes we play a particular instrument (and pay more for it) because of perception when the reality is that there are some other instruments of equal (sometimes greater) quality. I recently bought an acoustic to step up from the Takamine acoustic I've played for the last 7 years. I've played for a long time so I know what I like. I tried about 20 acoustics and passed on the Martin's and other bigger acoustic brands for a Larrivee. I got it for $800 and I couldn't find any other guitar under $1500 that I liked more. I guess the moral of the story is that it's fine to get an idea for what you might want from seeing and hearing other people playing it, but you should go and play as many as possible and pick the one YOU think fits you best. Ultiamtely that's what matters most.

Test 1 and see

I think these guitars are popular because of the sound, body shape, playability and versatility.  Players can be influenced in guitar choice to produce a sound or a look, but have to like the way a guitar plays. The big 3 you mention are some of the best guitars made and therefore played by a lot of people for a long time.

And PRS is a high quality guitar that meets all those expectations. I would say that was a good trade and I would also say LP's are a bit over-priced. 

To your point, Kramer would not have gotten so popular, so fast if Eddie Van Halen didn't actively promote it.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

bootleger wrote:
06sc500 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Bootlegger.

Gretch, Guild and Rickenbacker were all making electric guitars at this time.  Both Gibson and Fender had a variety of guitars avalable, many found their own musical niche,  but none gained the Iconic status of the Tele, Strat, and LP.

There's no simple answer to this one. Take the Les Paul, in the 50s it was not as futuristic as the strat and the humbuckers didn't jump out and take the world by storm. It was only in the 70s that the new breed of hi-gain amps let loose the sustain lurking in those goldtops. 70s players weren't trying to ape 50s idols, John Lennon even had his LP stripped back to brown wood. Also with Les Paul's you need to differentiate between the Standard's with P-90s (a single coil type) and Customs with humbuckers, at least that's the general rule.

The telecaster is another guitar that did OK in the 50s but name a famous tele player? Telecasters lacked outright glamour which is why punk players like Chrissie Hynde and Joe Strummer found them great work tools.

Makers like Gretsch and Rickenbacker suffer from high price tags and limited quantities. Sure they have a following (the Beatles, the Jam) but it's the sheer ubiquity of Fenders that make them so well known.

Hallmark is an odd word RH, Fender were quality in the 50s/60s but fell markedly in the 70s. Even today when it comes to value for money non-big-name makers will give you more. I'm currently very impressed with Blade (Levinson). It's all a matter of if you want that Fender headstock. The net abounds with fake logo transfers for people who want the branding, even when they don't own the real thing.

Personally I try to ignore brands and logos. This is a tricky act to pull-off, we all have a lifetime of product images. But I find putting hands on real guitars speaks volumes. Since my fingers don't touch the headstock and my ears can't hear branding...

I think every one forgets where these guitars came from:  Leo Fender and Les Paul.  That's why every one wants one.  Even Mary Ford wanted a Les Paul.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Hey Cytania,  I didn't feel like typing them all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Telecaster_players

mixter102 wrote:

Hey Cytania,  I didn't feel like typing them all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Telecaster_players

Thanks Mixter! The Telecaster has long been know as the "players" guitar...seem that almost all of the "known" players have a telly or two...even if they don't currently play or endorse, it'll be among the collection. Chet Atkins is famous for using those big hollow body Gretsch Guitars and later Gibson...but I've got photos of him playing a Telecaster.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I got my 1960 Gibson 330 in 1968 for $185. It looked like someone beat the crap out of it 6 nights a week. It has been my electric axe ever since. I pound hard on a guitar - playing rhythm lines like AC/DC and southern rock.
A luthier told me those fine line cracks in the finish let the real wood tone out and to polish but never refinish it.
A barroom fire popped open it's case as it went by and coated the old 330 black and blistered the back of the neck. Guitar polish removed the black. I plugged it up and it sounded better than ever.
My wife watched a Antiques Roadshow episode on old guitars. Certain model Gibsons the age of mine sell for $2,000 to $12,000.
Best investment I ever made. I wish there was a way to have my old 330 and my 1940 King tuba buried with me. smile

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Ta Mixter, that list sort proves my point as the teles are often second or studio guitars, early guitars or gifts. Having said that I'm very envious of my friend's Fender tele, it has a real cut through sound.

Tuba, the business of wood, tone, cracks and ageing is mysterious. Not sure why or even if guitars get better with age and wear. Could be only certain guitars get lucky with their wood and improve whilst other guitars from the same year continue to sound as stiff as they were new so get handed down the guitar chain until they become abused firewood. On the other hand...

LOL Im sure one of these days those guys like Keith Richards, Bruce Springsteen, Merle Haggard, Vince Gill,  and Waylon Jenings will make it big enough for you to think they're famous.

Not to mention that (arguably) the most sought after session guitarist in America is Brent Mason...who plays Telecasters...both vintage and custom...