Topic: Best guitars through the times... EVER

One easy question:  witch is the best guitar ever ?

Option 1  :  Gibson Les Paul
      Option 2  :  Gibson SG
      Option 3  :  Fender American Stratocaster
      Option 4  :  Epiphone Explorer
      Option 5  :  Tanglewood Metropolitan

5 Nice guitars... choose wisely

Re: Best guitars through the times... EVER

That's easy: Gibson Les Paul.

A close second would be the Gibson Firebird.

Easy, option 3, the Stratocaster. It's an all-rounder with many useable voices, the body shape is close to perfection (OK so the Explorer is a worthy challenger on body shape), the front mounted but angled jack socket is genius, the 5-way switch an unintentional masterstroke. The only drawback is choosing one from the forest of fender models and copies!

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Even easier Dave Hill from Slade`s Super Yob , who could fail to be impressed by the Brummie barnet`s axe slaying all before .

You can`t wind me up , I`m electric.

Of the  choices listed I'd have to go with the Fender American Stratocaster... course there are probably over 70-80 variations and models available with different pickup configerations, etc. But the American 3 single coil pickup Strat would be my choice.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

MY NUMBER ONE IS STILL PRS aka PAUL REED SMITH. For me this is the most versatile guitar, having an typical own sound, but switching positions, you approach Gibson (I believe that McCARTHY) was a former CEO of Gibson, but worked later with paul reed smith, meaning that with his knowledge and Paul's skills resulted in great guitars.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Easy for me ... Gibson Les Paul ... a true classic like most of what you posted slaya

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Easy. The Les Paul. The SG looks and sounds better IMHO, but the Les Paul was probably the most essential solidbody guitar ever.

I will have a Gibson LP someday, dammit.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Duh . . . The BEST Guitar EVER is the Fender Telecaster . . . Everyone knows that . . .

My top choice is a Gibson 335. Then a fender stratocaster.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Quit interesting topic. I found this:
ACOUSTIC GUITARS:
list of the guitars most commonly employed by folk's greatest players.
Link http://folkmusic.about.com/od/toptens/tp/TenGuitars.htm
What about:
ELECTRIC GUITARS:
- My all time favourite guitar is PRS, I have 5 PRS models, and one SE model: PRS SE Billy Martin. This guitar compared to my Gibson SG Menace sounds better.
- There are a few guitars, whit a price > 100.000$
- GIBSON LP STANDARD: 1958-1960, and having a fabulous price tag. I followed the standard 58-60 since 7 years, at that time already 25.000$, and I admit, seeing this price in 2000, I  should have bought one. Finally I didn't, but if.. in a 7 year period:  600% more, in price.
- GRETSCH "White Penguin" born in the 50-ties: 200.000$. If you know relatives or an older man who used to play, and they ask 50.000, you should buy it.
- OTHER GREAT BRANDS, but most are forgotten.
a) BENEDETTO
b) Us made HAMERS
c) STROMBERG
d) MOSRITE
e) DUESENBERG

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Nice answers my favorite is either an Gibson SG =or= the stratocaster.

Yeah you have to include the Telecaster as a choice. I'd say the Strat. I've never even heard of option 5, must not be too important throughout history. Acoustically, the Martin D28

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

14 (edited by slaya 2008-02-21 13:25:30)

O.K the 6:th answer will be the fender telecaster

Slaya, my European friend, if you need a band? I am always at home. I read the answers, and as you can see: Most of the chordians will prefer more a Gibson Les Paul Standard (custom,classic, studio)
I wrote my impression about best guitars, and I also tried to analyse your favourite guitar, which you placed on N° 2.
BEFORE MAKING A DECISION, I am convinced of one important fact: go and check some guitars on www.musiciansfriend.com     www.zzounds.com    www.music123.com and a few more.
Why this answer: I am a guitar "fundamentalist" akhbar guitar. So as told, I am a PRS fan. I have about 25 guitars, both acoustic, and electric. FEEL FREE TO MAIL ME ABOUT THESE GUITARS.
In fact it is very difficult to make a list, FENDER adepts VS. GIBSON adepts. You SHOULD LOOK ON www.gibson.com, and compare SG models. You find a lot of information, and after doing this, having a Gibson SG in mind, www.youtube.com, with a 90% opportunity you can hear them and see them. Fender Telecaster is one of the greatest guitars in the world, such a sound. Depending of your decision, an SG, there are faded SG's starting with 700€ IN EUROPE.
I hope this was helpful, THESE LINKS