Topic: "Narcissus"

I have been way too busy with work lately and unable to keep up with all the recent postings here in Songwriting . . .
Hope to have some time quality soon to delve into all the recent postings.

Meanwhile, here is one I just finished that draws from Greek mythology.  Narcissus was the fellow who became so enchanted by his own reflection that he died.

Narcissus is also another name for Daffodils - usually the first flowers to bloom in spring.  We have lovely daffodils sprouting up all over the place right now.

NarcissusJames McCormick, February 20, 2008

Nar-[D]cissus he was prancing, [F]traipsing to and fro

[G]Looking so exquisite, [D]dapper head to toe

[D]Everyplace he visited he [F]did his hootchie-coo

Ex-[G]hibiting his boyish grin, [D]generally amused

[F]Generally, [G]generally a-[D]mused . . . [F]Generally, [G]generally a-[D]mused

Nar-[D]cissus he was strutting, [F]showing off his stuff

[G]Voguing for the gallery, [D]looking oh so tough

[D]Everyone would gather to [F]see him strike a pose

[G]Gawking at his prowess, [D]generally exposed

[F]Generally, [G]generally ex-[D]posed . . . [F]Generally, [G]generally ex-[D]posed

Nar-[D]cissus he was frolicking, [F]flaunting his appeal

[G]Twirling and a-trampling the [D]lilies of the field

[D]Folks began to wonder if [F]he was cursed or blessed

He [G]seemed a little loony, [D]generally obsessed

[F]Generally, [G]generally ob-[D]sessed . . . [F]Generally, [G]generally ob-[D]sessed

Nar-[D]cissus he was preening, ad-[F]miring his cool

[G]Gazing so intently in-[D]to a shallow pool

With-[D]in his own reflection per-[F]fection was fulfilled

He [G]perished of starvation and [D]turned to daffodils

[F]Turned to, oh [G]turned to daffo-[D]dils . . . [F]Turned to, oh [G]turned to daffo-[D]dils

Nar-[D]cissus he is sleeping [F]deep within the soil

[G]Bulbs of blooming opulence, he [D]slipped this mortal coil

[D]Every spring he resurrects to [F]share a fragrant thrill

A [G]macho celebration in [D]yellow daffodils

Yeah [F]yellow, [G]yellow daffo-[D]dils . . . Yeah [F]yellow, [G]yellow daffo-[D]dils

Nar-[D]cissus he is blossoming, [F]glistening with dew

E-[G]merging from his slumber ex-[D]travagant anew

[D]Trumpeting his splendor [F]showing off with glee

Dis-[G]playing all his beauty and [D]virility

[F]Beauty and [G]virili-[D]ty . . . Yeah [F]beauty and [G]virili-[D]ty

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: "Narcissus"

hi james unusual topic for a song but well scribed,we have loads of snowdrops about here...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

3 (edited by Old Doll 2008-02-21 14:33:45)

Great song James,

Great lyrics as usual. Love Daffs. I have lots also at the moment. Also grew some minatures this year in pots. How something so fragile can grow and survive in this cold weather is always a mystery to me.

"I wondered lonely as a Cloud" Wordsworth, always one of my favourite pieces of poetry.

I love the way you combined the two, History lesson and song.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks for the feedback, daddycool & Old Doll!
This is a strange little ditty, but I rather enjoy its quirky theme.

I used the same 1, b3, 4, 1 chord set recently on 'Food Chain' and for some odd reason it just seemed appropriate for this lyric also.

I have just posted a recording to my MySpace Music page:
http://www.myspace.com/r200james

James, I didnt know you were going to write a song about me !!!

Haha good job mate

Nice one James.
I like to see those yellow headed Daffodils. Gives the promise that spring is just around the corner. Got lots out here to.
Have you put some echo in your recording? Sounds good.
Ark

Great song James and a brilliant recording plus a lesson in Greek mythology to boot, now what more could anyone wish for. Well done.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi, scrimmy & glad you could see yourself in the song!  I think there is a little bit of Narcissus in all of us (particularly creative types such as musicians & songwriters).

Hi arkady!  Yes, there is reverb - I used a GarageBand recording effect called 'Epic Diva' to give the song a little more oomph.  GarageBand has tons of effects and doo-dads that I need to learn more about.  One of these days I'll even be so bold as to attempt multi-track recordings!

Hi Roger!  Glad you like this song and the recording.  Just about a year ago now I finally started recording my stuff (after you had encouraged me to get  the gear and take the dive).  Thanks for the push!  I'm over my 'mic phobia' now and it is no longer such a big deal to make a recording - still have much to learn, but it doesn't seem so daunting anymore.

Bravo, James.

Another great excuse for me to spend time on  your site, listening to your songs!

Well done.

Just play

I have exciting news to share regarding my 'Narcissus' song!

Since the song is about flowers, I sent a link to the recording to a statewide public radio show.  "The Gestalt Gardener" is hosted by Felder Rushing.  Felder does a weekly show all about gardening and habitat and living with nature.  Listeners call in with questions and the show also features very interesting guests who discuss wide-ranging topics of interest.  It is really good radio.

Mr. Rushing has replied to my email and asked if he could please play the song on his show.  I am absolutely thrilled and look forward to hearing my song played on one of my favorite radio shows!

Don't yet know when he will play the recording, but I am walking around with a great big old goofy grin on my face!!!!

Great news James,

Obviously I will not be able to listen to it over here so please do report on how it was received.

Fantastic and justly deserved,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Well James,

The Heartiest of congratulations to you. Delighted for you.

Now you must let us know the feed back from same.

Olld Doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Way to go James good for you.
Ark

Awesome, James! Congratulations.

Mississippi will never be the same!

Next step:

The Discovery Channel theme song:

Food Chain
by James McCormick 

big_smile

Just play

More 'Narcissus' news . . . the song will be played this coming Friday, February 29 and also the following day in the re-broadcast of the week's show.

He mentioned he would be playing my song next week on his show yesterday.  The song he played on yesterday's show was "Call Any Vegetable" by Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention (so I guess my song will be in excellent musical company).

The Gestalt Gardener shows are archived on the web.  Will post a link to the site after the song is played . . .

Thanks, everybody for sharing my excitement!

Radio play update . . .

The first time the show was broadcast, nobody in this part of the state heard it because the regional transmitter was off the air for 'regularly scheduled maintenance'.  Very frustrating!

The re-broadcast of the show was today - they actually only played about half the song.  Was rather disappointed with that, but the host of the show read the lyrics to everyone and said very nice things.

Several friends have called and emailed to say they heard my song on the radio . . . very cool.

Excellent James and congrats to you. Very clever lyrics as usual. Zappa would be proud to be in your company, I'm sure.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!