Topic: ABOUT GUITAR START PACKAGES

If you are a new newbie, not an oldnewbie big_smile, what is your opinion about this concept?

- Ibanez IJX121 Metal Guitar Jump start Package: electric guitar with hardtail bridge, 15W amplifier, headphones, electronic tuner, gig bag, guitar strap, picks, and an accessories pouch + instructional DVD, instruction book, and chord chart = $299.99
- Squier by Fender Stop Dreaming Start Playing SE Special Strat Pack With Squier SP-10 Amp 199$
- Squier by Fender Stop Dreaming, Start Playing Affinity Strat HSS with Bullet 150 DSP Amp 299$

Are this "packages" worth their money? Is the purpose, by including an amp, that you will NOT wait to long before you buy a stronger amp?
Basicly: is this a sales-trick? Or are they really good?
If you buy the squier itself, and a Line 6 Spider III 75 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp you pay 500$
What is your opinion guys

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ABOUT GUITAR START PACKAGES

Part of what the pack does Phil is ensure that junior has all the kit they need to get jamming right on Christmas day, otherwise ma and pa might forget that electric guitars need an amp or that beginners need an instruction book/dvd. No doubt it will all be outgrown eventually but that's what it's there for...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

3 (edited by Ranger1964 2008-02-26 19:53:58)

My son and 2 or 3 of his friends have become interested in guitar.  Most of the parents, myself included, are ecstatic that their kids are interested in music BUT, most parents have a list of the "new hobbies" their kids tried and abandoned.  Consequently, most parents are reluctant to dive too deep into the guitar pool.  So, these packages make sense on many different levels.  Yes, it is great that parents won't forget an integral component, but more than that, the equipment in these packages is more than adequate for a beginner to guage his/her interest in music.  If their devotion wanes, then the money spent was minimal, if they stick with it and show lasting interest, THEN the parents and kids can upgrade the equipment.  My son started with the a Strat Pack and is really devoted to guitar.  When the time came, I had no problem upgrading him to a Mexican Fat Strat.  My nephew has the Ibanez starter pack.  He is invovlved in sports 12 months out of the year.  He likes guitar but just doesn't have time to play, so the Ibanez is there when he wants to play, but it really is all he needs now.

So, to me, it's really not so much about if the bundled gear is a good deal based on price, it's more about the bundled gear being good enough for a beginner to determine his or her commitment.

Yee Haw

They are a great way to get someone started who might not have the money to take the plunge just yet.  But...

In a way, I see the starter packages as a false economy.  They make sense only if the user doesn't show lasting interest/dedication to guitar, and the reason is exactly what Ranger1964 stated above.  If the kid (or whoever buys the package) doesn't show that lasting interest, whoever spent the money isn't out much.  Let's face it, there is no real resale value to the gear in these kits.  For that exact reason, if the person the kit is for DOES show lasting interest and dedication, you're out the price of the kit, plus the price of higher quality gear later on.  The catch-22 here is that the cheaper instrument in the kit can cause reduced interest by itself; hey, it happened to me.

Unfortunately, I know of no one who is psychic enough to predict just who should go out and buy that better instrument to start with.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

dguyton wrote:

They are a great way to get someone started who might not have the money to take the plunge just yet.  But...

In a way, I see the starter packages as a false economy.  They make sense only if the user doesn't show lasting interest/dedication to guitar, and the reason is exactly what Ranger1964 stated above.  If the kid (or whoever buys the package) doesn't show that lasting interest, whoever spent the money isn't out much.  Let's face it, there is no real resale value to the gear in these kits.  For that exact reason, if the person the kit is for DOES show lasting interest and dedication, you're out the price of the kit, plus the price of higher quality gear later on.  The catch-22 here is that the cheaper instrument in the kit can cause reduced interest by itself; hey, it happened to me.

Unfortunately, I know of no one who is psychic enough to predict just who should go out and buy that better instrument to start with.

I guess the way my parental friends and I look at it, is that if the student uses it for 2 years we paid about $10/month for the package.  Plus, if a child REALLY shows interest in music, then it really was money well spent.  If you have young teen kids, there is a market for selling the equipment from the packages to their friends.  My son sold his Strat pack equip to a friend for $75.  I have found that the Ibanez and Strat gear of more than adequate quality to encourage beginners rather than disourage.  Remember, I'm talking real beginners here. 

Hey, I play my Taylor 810 almost exclusively but I still have a Strat Affinity that I play about 5 times a year.  That is not a bad piece of gear too pick up used if you are an acoustic player and want an electric just for kicks and grins.  Most shops have a used Strat Affinity for about $100.  I plug mine into my Crate acousitc amp and off I go.  For 5 or 6 times a year, it's great.

Yee Haw

gitaardocphil wrote:

If you are a new newbie, not an oldnewbie big_smile, what is your opinion about this concept?

Doc!  You hurt my feelings. I want to play!  yikes big_smile

Just play

I have always assumed, justly or not, that "package" deals usually contain inferior products that have been lumped together to sell.

I usually don't trust them, and buy my stuff separate.

(so there!) big_smile

Just play

Yes, I am now more convinced. A "fender amp, 15W, is loud enough to hear yourself playing, without disturbing the others.
Do you remember my topic about expensive guitars = better players? I am 100% convinced that this statement is true, EXCEPT if you are 12-16 years old. Playing at very young age: the concept is different, but will end up in buying a big brand. Add school, University...these are factors causing some people putting their guitar on the attic.
BTW: I placed a 1Gb card in my Boss BR 600, so there is still hope to use it. ONE STRANGE FACT: is it normal that when I use this device, I play a lot worse? I play pretty good BUT using my boss, I play pretty bad. AM I ALONE?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I picked up guitar a year ago at the age of 40 and the player pack made economical sense to me at the time.  My wife and I didn't have $1000+ to throw away if this was a passing thing I didn't end up liking so I bought the Epiphone LP Special II pack. 

Now the downside is because I have totally taken to the guitar I want better equipment.  I have already purhased a new amp, an acoustic/electric guitar, and am beginning to look for a new electric.  But I consider my initial $200 money well spent as a sort of test.

gitaardocphil wrote:

- Ibanez IJX121 Metal Guitar Jump start Package: electric guitar with hardtail bridge, 15W amplifier, headphones, electronic tuner, gig bag, guitar strap, picks, and an accessories pouch + instructional DVD, instruction book, and chord chart = $299.99
- Squier by Fender Stop Dreaming Start Playing SE Special Strat Pack With Squier SP-10 Amp 199$
- Squier by Fender Stop Dreaming, Start Playing Affinity Strat HSS with Bullet 150 DSP Amp 299$

Are this "packages" worth their money? Is the purpose, by including an amp, that you will NOT wait to long before you buy a stronger amp?
Basicly: is this a sales-trick? Or are they really good?
If you buy the squier itself, and a Line 6 Spider III 75 75W 1x12 Guitar Combo Amp you pay 500$
What is your opinion guys

I think some of these packages are good as an immediate "starter" kit...as a Christmas or Birthday gift. If the person becomes a player then he/she will usually outgrow the starter pretty quick. I do think that those kits can be vastly improved if the dealer would take time to do a proper set-up on the guitar...some of those Squire and Epiphone guitars are pretty bad until set-up.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

39 year old newby, got my first guitar in Nov '07, Yamaha FG700.  I wanted to explore electric playing and didnt want to invest too much money so I bought a Strat Pack, Squier HSS.  Maybe I will upgrade pickups, amps, but for now it suits my purpose.  I play both daily.  The setup on the Yamaha out of the box needed nothing but tuning, but the setup for the Squier took much more time, loose or crooked screws on pickguard and bridge and then the standard setup on the bridge needed to be done.  I know it wont ever sound the best, but for now just getting better on my part is most important.  When I do upgrade, I am sure both guitars will stay with me.

Rich

47 year old try-againer.  As a kid, when I told my parents I wanted to try guitar, they bought me an old beat up acoustic with about 1/2" of action at the base of the neck.  It was probably the reason I didn't consider starting again until now.  I know I'm too old to start tearing the town up with rock'n roll.  I'd just like to be able to bang out a few good tunes at social gatherings once in a while and just learning is good therapy after a day's work.  This time around, I went mid-range quality and looked for bang for the buck.  Ended up with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (refurbished) and got a Fender 65W amp and an effects box.  With spare strings, picks, and a few books, I'm out about $820.  In my current financial situation, that was an acceptable price to pay.  So far, the equipment is just fine for my level and will likely be fine 10 years from now.  I looked at the kits and can't really say I wouldn't buy one, but I sure don't want to end up getting discouraged again with equipment problems like I had as a kid.