Topic: DESPERATE NEED OF HELP GUITAR PROBLEM!!!

Hello all, long time no post. I've got something of a problem with the old geetar...well...not the old one, the new one. My Epi Les Paul has been working fine until I came home late from work a couple of days ago, plugged her in as I had had the Riverboat Song by Ocean Colour Scene in my head all day and a number of strange things happened. Firstly, when I turned on my Orange Crush 30R Amp it made a highly unusual...well...popping sound, which I put down to nothing more than a power surge. Next I plugged in my cable which again emitted a slightly larger than normal feedback which I this time put down to my lethargy as a result of working a 14 hour shift. Then I plugged in the guitar, I went to play it and Lo-and-Behold, no sound! I meddled with the volume knobs and pickup selections...still no sound. Worrying! Then I had a stroke of near genius and remembered I had an adapter to plug my guitar into my PC in order to record some of my idea's as I happen to have a memory comparible to a goldfish. Plugged it in, turned the mic port on, no sound. Now I THINK that the problem is with the lead rather than the guitar, there is no obvious damage to the lead however that means nothing I do know. I don't believe its a problem with the amp as it was kicking out ridiculous amounts of static noise when I put the volume past 3. The only other thing I see yet hope it isn't is the Jack Port on my guitar, I've heard about the solder coming away from the wires underneath, however I think the wee temptress is under warranty still and as such i'm not going to delve into the belly of the beast like a bull in a china shop!

Has anyone ever had this issue before? Any response (non-sarcastic of course tongue) is greatly appreciated as I am still new to this whole game and a little background knowledge is always great. Thank you all, Wibble

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-03-02 00:27:34)

Re: DESPERATE NEED OF HELP GUITAR PROBLEM!!!

there must be a online support for gibson explain your problem or bring your amp and guitar with the chords your using to the music store where you got it mabey they can shed some light on whats wrong i think you made a good choice not digging into the electronics yourself it might negate any warranty

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: DESPERATE NEED OF HELP GUITAR PROBLEM!!!

Check out the chord at the guitar and the amp. Kinda sounds like the grounding has come loose from one of the male plugs. Unscrew one end and check the connection. If thats not it check the other end. Or just try another chord.

Nela