Topic: any comments

does anyone have a comment on the following sight?
It's about the song (Danny Boy)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080306/ap_ … boy_banned

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Re: any comments

I dont think it should get banned because it was wrote by an englishman that had never stepped foot on irish soil, if that is the reason it got banned. I am guessing they are using the excuse as it being depressing for not playing it. And it is true, what a depressing song, but that doesnt make it bad or a reason why it should be banned.
I bet this guy played it all the time until he found out it was not an irishman that wrote it. I bet the barman is not even irish himself but one of those ones that think they are irish because his ancestors came from ireland. There is too much of that! I think Born in america then you are american, their is no irish american stuff or scottish american or even african american.
So this guy has no right to ban it because of who wrote it, the englishman might even be more irish that this guy in new york.

And if he has banned this song then why has he not banned the other song they mentioned, Molly Mallone? great song but still all about death so it must be depressing too, this is why I am thinking this guy has banned it because of who wrote it.

And if he plays any "POGUES" then he better stop that too because the lead singer ( if not all of them) Shane McGowan and also being their main song writer is a Londoner, Only thing he has to do with Ireland came from his parents or grandparents. Shane is as Cockney as they come.
So this guy in New york will have to stop playing any pogues.
Also U2, cannopt play anymore of them anymore, those four guys no matter how great the band are cannot class themselves as irish anymore, they are not even humans anymore, people treat them like gods.
Hmmm, I tihnk this guy has no one else to play but the saw doctors, the dubliners, and a few other irish artists that I probably have not heard of. lol

But if it was up to me, I would ban Danny boy too. Not for being depressing, just because I dont like it lol

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Tempest in a teapot!

The bar owner has certainly succeeded in gaining publicity for his establishment and their annual Saint Patrick's celebration.  I can't blame him for being tired of hearing his patrons try to sing 'Danny Boy' - it is a lovely tune that is too often butchered by lousy singers.

I guess that people who want a free pint at the bar will simply have to learn another song.  There are hundreds of lovely Irish tunes to choose from.

Ironically, the man who became known as St. Patrick was actually born in Roman Britain!
So, he is not a native Irishman . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

i guess this falls in with music stores banning "stairway to heaven" i have seen signs with "no stairway to heaven"and a red line across the sign i guess that bar owner was sick of hearing "danny boy" same as the music store and stairway enough is enough

"Growing old is not for sissies"

There are a lot of great songs out there that don't get  listened to out of stuppidity.

There are a few songs out there, by someone who was either not born their or visited the place. The Star Spangled Banner and The Battle Hymn of The Repubulic are two such songs.

I agree, I think someone created some problem just to lure in some controversy, and while the patrons are fighting the bartender is selling his drinks.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

James McCormick wrote:

Ironically, the man who became known as St. Patrick was actually born in Roman Britain!

St Andrew the siant of scotland was not even scottish either. I think he was russian or somewhere over eastern europe

i dont think any of the patron saints came fro mthe country they are saints for are they?

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

7 (edited by Old Doll 2008-03-07 23:20:51)

Well If i had a euro

for all the times ive heard  the song  "Danny Boy.   Its funny because when someone says there going to sing it , there usually is a chorus of groans. lol

Then everyone joins in.   I now know why i having Newyorkers here for St Paddys Day".

For Gods sake its only one song of millions of great Irish Songs.  Personally if i was in that
guys pub on Paddies Day i would sing it just to annoy him.  Its also a great marketing ploy
I feel by him.

Wouldn't i love to know how many dollars is being bet on this song being sung anyway!

Ancestry Cavan? They say here the Cavan people are so mean they eat there dinner out
of a drawer, in case anyone calls.  "Drawer closed dinner not shared."

Ah Yes! A cute hoor" He surely knows what he's doing.:lol:

Old Doll.

Ps. Do as we do , Danny Boy. gets a swing feel to it. Molly Malone is rocked up.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

There is an ancient poem/letter attributed to Patrick.  A modern English translation hymn version of the poem dates to the late 1800's and is entitled "Saint Patrick's Breastplate" or "The Lorica" (a lorica was a piece of Roman armor).  It is also known as Patrick's Confession.  The hymn uses a traditional Irish tune called 'The Deer's Cry'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patric … reastplate

The lyric is a powerful declaration of faith and determination.  Ideally, it should be sung with great gusto and simple instruments.  Unfortunately, when it is sung in most churches as a congregational hymn it becomes a boring dirge-like mush.

Just checked YouTube hoping to find a good version there - but only found a too-slow, too-tender instrumental version.  I would love to make a video of a gutsy folk version of this song - will contact a buddy who has a little Celtic ensemble and see if we can't get something together.

Anyway . . . I prefer to celebrate Patrick as man of adventure and conscience who lived 1,515 years ago.  Despite popular misconception, he was not a drunken leprechaun clad in green and behaving like a buffoon.

Old Doll, I would certainly join you in a rousing rendition of 'Danny Boy' - we would have them weeping into their beers!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Several years ago (10 or 12), we had a family gathering at my Grandmother's house in Amityville, Long Island (NY) which was the last gathering at her home before she moved away. This was a special gathering because Grandma's house was a fixture in our lives - the place for Thanksgiving dinners and other get together's since I was an infant. TIt was a neat trip, my family traveled from Florida, others from North Carolina and upstate NY - every grandchild was there (I think the last time that has happened). Anyway - that has nothing to do with the topic, but I'm getting there, I promise.

Shortly before this gathering it was announced that the US Open would be played at Bethpage state park in 2002 (I know James - you're not fond of us golfers). This is a very difficult course and even more difficult to arrange a T-Time. City folks sleep in the parking lot all night in order to get on the course on weekends. Well my uncle pulled some strings and arranged T-times for 8 of us - we had a fantastic time, and I shot a great round. It was cool to watch the pros a few years later playing on the same course I had played.

So what does this have to do with the topic? I'm getting there big_smile

After the round, we were enjoying some cold beverages at the clubhouse. Some guy sitting a few tables away from us must have lost a bet, and suddenly stood up and belted out "Oh Danny Boy" solo a cappella in the middle of the clubhouse - It was a 2 story place with tons of windows and the acoustics were fantastic - that guy could really sing and got a standing ovation from all of the bar patrons when finished. I will never forget it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Ah Topdown i have heard it sung also like this.
Makes the hair tingle on your scalp.  I reckon James and Mise { Me } Would do a fine job of same.
Heres a funny link for you. Believe me, some of the yahoos here on St Patricks Day " Will sound  and look
like this  :lol:The second Group ive seen in Concert. A lovely version i feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCbuRA_D3KU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPFCvzzcFM

Ps, Did ya ever play golf in the K Club ? We had the Ryder Cup here in 2006.
I got some beautiful  golfing memorabilia from that one as gifts. I did give most of them away to golfing fanatics.
but kept a few  as heirlooms.

Old Doll.

Thanks for those links Old Doll. I enjoyed the second one much more than the first. big_smile

I also like Clapton's instrumental version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Ovv0BZS34

I remember that Ryder Cup - I believe the Europeans gave our boys a pretty good spanking that year. Alas, I am one of those American's who doesn't even have a passport (like you mentioned on another thread), so no I have never been to your beautiful island. I would love to visit some day though.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

the first one is funny and i will save it the second is beautiful and i will visit it thanks my lady for the link russ

"Growing old is not for sissies"

upyerkilt wrote:
James McCormick wrote:

St Andrew the siant of scotland was not even scottish either. I think he was russian or somewhere over eastern europe

i dont think any of the patron saints came fro mthe country they are saints for are they?

ken

Also St George[Patron saint of England], he's not english, Hes Turkish....How pathetic is this...its a song tis all....More fitting for a pub is seven nights byt he dubliners.... wink

Life isnt about FINDING yourself.....Its all about CREATING yourself!!!!

Thank You Topdown,

Claptons link was beautiful, i never did hear that before.

Ya sure cant beat the Masters!

Old Doll.