Topic: How do you read guitar tabs!!

I know this might sound stupid but you know how sometimes you go on to a web stie and you look up a song and all there is are a couple of lines with numbers on them WTF how do you read them i don't understand. If anyone could help me out then please do!!! tongue

Re: How do you read guitar tabs!!

I haven't long to try and answer, but there are others with more expieriance and time to give a better answer, so this might get you started.

You already know the chords, and the strings.
Going from the top of the guitar to the bottom;
E,B,G,D,A,e
However, you'll notice that alot of times when someon posts TABs it will read;
e,A,D,G,B,E
As long as you know the strings it shouldn't matter too much, it does sometimes confuse though. Take it slow.
The 'X' represents a string that isn't played and an'0' represents an open string. The same so far.
Now to read a Tab: The number represents the Fret and the letter represents the string. Ex... 7G... This means that you only play the G string on the 7th Fret. If It shows 5D, Then it means to play only the d string on the 5th Fret. Find the Fret whether it's the 5th, 7th, 14th, or whatever, then look to see what's being played and play what is being shown. If you get a TAB that shows something like...XX0232...that means you don't play the E or B, you'll hold down on the D string second Fret, the A string on the third Fret and the e string on the second Fret. Does this look familiar.
Tabs are a single number, or it could appear as a group of numbers. Then you'll have some songs that will post a chord, but will say to play a single string.

If I've confused you, I'm sorry.
If I rambled a bit then I'll go ahead and appologize for that to.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

http://www.911tabs.com/about/tabs.htm

I looked around, maybe this site can explain better than I can

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Thank-you very much for explaning it to me and for giving me a website to help me out!!! it really bugged me when every i tried to learn a rift or a song but you cleared it up for me!!!! big_smile