Topic: What's a good Vocal Mic

I have been using a Shure SM58 mic and I have 3 peavey mics,just wondering if there is something better out there without getting real expensive.

Thanks Wayne

Later, Wayne P

Re: What's a good Vocal Mic

I don't know...the Shure SM58 and 57 have been industry standards for years...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

wlbaye wrote:

I have been using a Shure SM58 mic and I have 3 peavey mics,just wondering if there is something better out there without getting real expensive.

Thanks Wayne

Hey Wayne,
I used to be a Shure 58 guy for 20 years+. I sang through this mic here in link once and It blew the 58 away. I'm on my 3rd one, not because of bad quality, they simply wear out from overuse, I swear by them;

http://www.music123.com/Sennheiser-e835 … 2.Music123

Give everything but up.

Thanks SouthPaw,

Thats what I've been hearing alot, that there are better mics out there at an affordable price,I am going to give one a try.Do you have to be as up close and in the mic as much as you do with the SM 58.

One thing I dont like about the SM58 ,if your lips aren't in contact with it you lose alot, sometimes just by turning slightly to acknowledge someone or maybe just swaying to the music.

Thanks again, Wayne

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Thanks SouthPaw,

Thats what I've been hearing alot, that there are better mics out there at an affordable price,I am going to give one a try.Do you have to be as up close and in the mic as much as you do with the SM 58.

One thing I dont like about the SM58 ,if your lips aren't in contact with it you lose alot, sometimes just by turning slightly to acknowledge someone or maybe just swaying to the music.

Thanks again, Wayne

The distance you have to be from the mic is determined by several factors. Small room, close P.A. location means you'll probably have to have your lips touching the mic. You have a small window of quality sound before feedback frequencies take over.............................. Big room, far away P.A. speaker locale, and you'll be able to crank up the volume more withput feedback becoming an issue/problem, therefore you'll be able to stand a good distance away from your mic.

Give everything but up.

I have just picked up a Sennheiser 845s, and I have to tell you it's one of the best microphones out there!  Coming from a much cheaper mic, I was completely impressed with it's range and amplification!  I would recommend this model (or the 835s) to anyone! 

wlbaye wrote:

Thanks Wayne

I own two Shure SM58s, two AKG Condensers, a GrooveTube large diaphragm for recording + a few others -and I know that almost everybody in the US swears by the SM58 for rock/blues live performances. But why? I can only come up with one reason: They seem to be indestructable.

Since you're asking for a GOOD vocal mic, here is my favorite, but it's not cheap: Sennheiser MD421. I've been around these mics all my life, and in my opinion, it's the best (and also the most versatile mic) for just about anything, especially vocals. I use it for my own vocal mic in a band, but it performs equally well for guitar and drums. This mic ALWAYS seems perfectly tailored to my voice, picks up every nuance, has great feedback resistance, a warm pleasing character and never needs Phantom power. It's the cream of the crop of dynamic mics -try one out, and you will not need any other mics until you're really famous and only use Neumann mics.

I've seen so many live top-notch performances (in Europe) over the past 40 years where the MD421 is always up front: Jimi Hendrix, The Who come to mind... This mic used to be everywhere, because it's been the workhorse in Radio, TV and live performances all over the world -just not in America, where we're used to inferior technology that's cheap and yes, rugged like the Shure SM58. Treat yourself to a test-drive!