Topic: Natural Harmonics

What exactly are they and how do you accomplish it?

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

2 (edited by 06sc500 2008-03-27 17:09:23)

Re: Natural Harmonics

As to my knowledge, you place your finger extremely lightly on a string, say, the top string, 12th fret, but you don't actaully push the string onto the frets, just place your finger on it.  You pick the note as usual, and you should get the 12th fret up an octave, or the 24th fret.  I find pinch harmonics to be easier and more effective, at least on an acoustic.  For these you fret a note normally, then strike the string with the pick and your thumb at the same time.  You need to put your thumb right at the tip of the pick and then you should feel both the pick and your thumb hitting the string.  Sorry if it's a confsuing explanation, but after some pracitce you'll get a feel for it.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Hi Tim0473
I've played around with natural or false harmonics for a while now.
They give a nice harp like sound.
This guy gives an explaination of them on Utube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ub42Cpm9gc
I wish I was as good sad

Ark

you can find them in ballads

but also in rock ( my favorites example is linkin park "in the end"  come in just as the lyrics start)

if you want them in rock music try using a clean channel, a  compressor pedal and lots of volume

Ok I think I'm catching on guys ... thanks!  I just wondered why they are used and how ... I've seen some tabs that show "natural harmonics" and couldn't figure out what they meant

Try and find a recording of Victor Wooten playing Amazing Grace - he does it entirely with harmonics on a bass.  He's so freaking talented it makes me glad to be part of the same race.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

you can make the same sound as the chimes of big ben on the guitar with the harmonics.

just thought i would add that in :lol

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Zurf wrote:

Try and find a recording of Victor Wooten playing Amazing Grace - he does it entirely with harmonics on a bass.  He's so freaking talented it makes me glad to be part of the same race.

- Zurf

thanks, nice one

I also like Edge's Harmonics in U2 - try listening to BAD (wide awake in america)

I play "Bad" but I didnt realize he used natural Harmonics on it ... I was wondering why it sounded different compared to how he plays it ... now I know why!

Here is a slightly more technical explanation of harmonics.

As a guitar (or violin or piano, etc) string vibrates, there are actually several 'waves' of vibration occuring along the length of the string.  These additional vibrations produce higher tones (overtones) that are part of the total sound you hear.  These additional tones can be isolated and heard more clearly by partially dampening the string.

Woodwind and brass instruments are designed in such a way as to isolate and magnify the harmonic tones within the vibrating air column within the instrument's body.  All the valves and keys on these instruments simply change the length of the vibrating air column and then isolate the various overtones that are present within the tone.

Maybe all this is way too technical - but it is fascinating that all these simple mechanical devices can produce the magic we call music.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James
Thanks for the techy bit. I've used them but never understood how  a string can produce two or more notes.
Great explaination.
Ark

12 (edited by johncross21 2008-03-29 21:05:30)

but putting your finger lightly on the string at the 12th fret you divide the string at that point making the string produce a different tone than normal when the string is struck - its an octave higher than otherwise

(it's not a damping thing)

Hey Tim,

I noticed that you asked "why" and "how" harmonics are used. Here is an example of what harmonics can add to a musical piece. Great texture in the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSnWhsmlGec