Topic: Advice on songwriting...

first of all, i'll just point out i didn't make this thread selfishly, anyone who's having difficulty songwriting will hopefully find peoples advice on writing songs (either lyrics or music) very useful.

i'm trying to write a love song for someone at the moment, and my first question is:
How do you go about getting started when you write the lyrics?

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Re: Advice on songwriting...

Hi (0)==#paranormal guitar (& welcome back to chordie!),

I am not an expert, but I like to write songs.
For what it's worth, here is my take on this often-asked question:

Do it every day.  Invest some quality time each day to working with your song ideas.  Do it when you feel like it - and especially do it when you don't feel like it.  Creating anything takes a little inspiration and a whole lot of perspiration.  Practice being creative every day . . . song writing takes some real effort.

Keep it simple . . . the basic structure of a song is not very complex.
Focus on a couple of simple verses and a chorus.

Keep your ears and eyes open - there are song ideas everywhere if you practice seeing and hearing them.  Jot down phrases, sights, anything that seems interesting.  Anything that sparks your imagination can be the spark for a song.

Songs are a great way to convey simple or small ideas - if you want to tackle complex issues, write a book.

Have lots of ideas that you can play with in a notebook.  Occasionally, a song will spring forth from start to finish in one sitting - however, most songs take some time to ripen.  If one idea is not working - then, just try another idea.

Once you have an idea that seems promising, ponder it and try to see it from many different angles . . . let your imagination go on a flight of fancy. 

A great way to limber up your lyrical imagination is to take a simple song you like and write some new words for the melody.  Simply borrow the melody and chords and supply your own words.

Probably, most of what you create will be 'gravel'.  However, eventually you will create a 'gem'.  Don't expect that every song will be a gem.

Hope this helps,  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi Will,

Like James, I too am no expert, althought I have been known to write the odd love song or two.

The advice already given is excellent and so if I may add my twopenny worth. Sit down with pencil and paper and write down the message you want to convey in normal prose. Then the hard part, re-write it as a poem, remembering that the metre is more important than the rhyme in a song (which is your goal). Once that is done either 'borrow' someone else's music or write your own to finish the song. Then you can stand under her balcony with your guitar and serenade the lady of your dreams.

If you get stuck and want help you can always post your half finished work here and seek further advice or e-mail one of the songwriters privately for help as I am sure most would be willing to help.

Good luck,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Guys

Keep it simple - what are you trying to convey?  Is it an homage to her beauty? Then you're on a winner as beauty rhymes with cutie and there's idea one!

Are you trying to tell her - oops or him how you feel when they are near? Then you're on a winner as near rhymes with clear and beauty rhymes with cutie and there's idea two!

Just go with what feels right, use humour, tempo and of course rhymes and they will fall at your feet.  Or laugh.

Good luck!

Bonedaddy

I'm the son of rage and love

liam if your writing a song about a person make a short list of the things you like about them or dislike and somewhere in this list you will find a theme that will be the foudation trust your heart and write what you honestly feel its as simple as that all spoken,sung words have a cadence (beat) or time if you choose that will help you phrase the lyrics adding chords produces the body of these phrases and before you can say thankyou for the grammy you have given birth to a song,there are other approaches that work try several suggestions from this thread one of them will bear fruit

"Growing old is not for sissies"

thanks fer taking the time to reply, i appreciate it A LOT. smile

i'm sure your ideas will help, and and literally 5 minutes after reading this i had a couple of ideas.

oh and bonedaddy, it's a she, incase you were wondering. lol

thanks again, and i'll do my best big_smile

cool
okay??

i don't know what to call it yet, so i've just called it "Viry's Song", which is lovely, but kinda vomit-worthy hmm

it's coming along great so far, here's a sample lyric:

"It's impossible to say with words
How much you mean to me,
But I'll try to express just how I feel,
Through this melody"

cool

cool
okay??

dont forget to mention the vomit she will be crazy over you