Topic: IMPORTANT: HOW TO BE A DECENT "SONG SMITH"

I liked to know the best way, it may be even the most difficult way, to write a song.

- STARTING WITH A TUNE OR MELODY FOLLOWED BY LYRICS
- WRITING LYRICS AND THE MELODY IN FUNCTION OF THE LYRICS

I add also 2 possibilities
- YOU ARE ALONE, SINGER/SONGWRITER, so NOBODY is altering your song(s)
- YOU CO-WRITE SONGS, style Elton John/B.Taupin where these 2 have each their "duty", or you write style LENNON/MCCARTNEY. You start with a tune, or a phrase, and another member or members add important or interesting chords or lyrics.

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN DISCUSSED ALREADY, but I find it quit interesting to know how you, chordians, fellow musicians work.
SECOND:
- How many time do you work on a song? In my case, I can have a tune in a few minutes, the instrumental phase, followed by lyrics, mostly some words I have in mind, like DEAD, LOVE, PARTNER, and I never write down something.
First I pick up my guitar, play some chords, then I start writing some words with those chords in my head and I put them in word. I start reading CHORDS AND LYRICS followed by picking up my guitar again, I play and I start moving chords, because often my lyrics don't match 100% with my chords OR I start changing, moving some words.
HOW DO YOU WRITE YOUR SONGS?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: IMPORTANT: HOW TO BE A DECENT "SONG SMITH"

I generally write alone, but have co-written with my band. I dont go 'looking for' songs either. I find that when I do write, I'm usually just messing around on my guitar, playing a few chords an' that. I've written loads of stuff that's just music and it'll take a phrase or something that I heard somewhere or humming a melody to myself to start writing lyrics. I've also written stuff that is just lyrics, without any music. This usually happens when I dont have my guitar at hand, some times I can put music to this easily, other times I find it quite hard to do. Tbh, I havent written anything in some 5-6mths.

I have a lot of songs, but writing them down, lyrics AND matching chords, is a lot more difficult than I thought.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

hi GDP

there are lots of different ways that i write;

sometimes i just make myself a project, i make up say 19 titles [enough to fill a CD] then write the songs around the titles. i have not done this for about 2 years, and i'm in the middle of a project now called park, get to that later.

other times i may just get a fraze in my head eg when i wake in the morning, so i just write it down [it's handy to keep pen and paper by the bed] then come back to it when i have time.

i may be practising guitar or keyboard and a nice riff or chord progression may come to me, and that will spark off a song.

right my park project... it started with one song that had nothing to do with anything, "birds fly away" [on myspace] from that came a second song, because i liked a character called benchman in the first song! then more songs came to me with one theme linking them all...a park! you know play ground, lots of grass [the green stuff not what you smoke!!!lol] a cafe, duck pond etc, i'm still writing and recording it, and because i'm a bit picky, i'm not satisfied with some of the recordings and i'm redoing them.

then theres the songs you write about people you know or love, these songs you just put down on paper what you think of them, what you like/hate about them what they look like when they are sleeping etc...

i may also be inspired by what i see on this site, i dont steal anything but what someone else writes can sometimes inspire me to write on a similar theme.

hope this has been helpful [and not too boring]

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Lyrics come easy for me while melody usually does not (I wish it were not the case) so if I stumble on a good melody I can almost always come up with lyrics to support.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

doc its hard to say,somtimes i write lyrics and they sit around for months or chart out some chords from a practice session and they also sit  the last two songs i posted one "signs of the end" the words i wrote 8 yrs ago the chords last week or so the most recent "church across the way"was composed 10 yrs ago and recently rediscovered in a old manuscript book in my closet i didn't have the digital recording gear back then i had a 4 track teac reel to reel and its a good thing i wrote the arrangment down because the teac went on the fritz and it was to costly to fix so im rediscovering songs and updating them on my BR-8 I have composed songs on the spot just jammin and singing words off the top of my head that didn't make any sense but if i liked the chord structure(progression and feel) i grab a sheet of lined music paper and chart out the chords and notes to the melodie just to jog my memory when i pick it up later then i get serious and really put the time into the crafting of the words as well as refineing the syncopation of the rhythem of the chords the rest is easy RECORDING IT!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I always start with a chord progression on my guitar, Then I come up with a melody that complements the progression, Then words. I'm good with chord progressions and melodies. My problem lies with lyrics. Writing lyrics has always been a problem for me.

getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

i usually get a mental idea first... i write down all the different perspectives,ideas,pharses ,and i also like to do some research on the main theme of my song...i will write at least 4 rough drafts..then i add either piano or guitar depending on the feel of the song to me.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/kristenbrassel]www.myspace.com/kristenbrassel[/url]

mine usually come form jamming wiht my band, or getting a catalyst phrase to wirte a song aorund and putting chords to it, im terrible at lyrics though, so my band has an issue with too many songs and not enough lyrics

Hi Karp & welcome to chordie!  I like your term 'catalyst phrase' - quite apt.  After I decided to write songs, I realized the world is full of song catalysts - noticing all the potential ideas is a state of mind.

I usually start with a lyrical idea and the music comes along later (or not).

I write alone - nothing against collaborating, it's just easier to do it on my own schedule.

I am never really 'totally done' with a song.  Most songs I work on in little bits and pieces over several sessions - I go through lots of pages of notebook paper.  Even after a song gets 'finished' I probably still add another verse or make alterations at a later date.  I find that re-working my old songs can be very helpful if the new ones just aren't progressing.

Being a "Songsmith" takes deliberate, daily effort (and paper, pencils, erasers, and a wastebasket).

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]