Topic: getting to grips with 12 strings

I am just about to get a cheap but cheerful 12 string guitar - and I have read somewhere that just playing six string tunes is not the best thing to do. So any advice on how to proceed with my 12 string adventure would be appreciated - artists/classic 12 string song suggestions welcome!

Thanks

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Re: getting to grips with 12 strings

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6838

link to 1 of many on this very topic.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I just bought a cheepo twelve string myself about two months ago and I cant seem to put it down! I got four six strigs ,but this is my first twelver. Anything by the Byrds or Dylon sounds good !!! Later!

yes - I am having fun with my 12 string too - cheap fun. I am impressed with the build on my 100Euro guitar - stays in tune, is loud and clear and even looks good. It's a Dimavery -Chinese I think. Claims to be solid top and came with a gig bag and a strap and a spare set of strings - bargain of the year for me.

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Hi, i'm new on this site, but I bought a twelve string for Christmas last, 2007.
as far as I go anything sounds good.  Six string or not, the only thing is it is hard to keep an alternating strun pattern going, or to finger pick, otherwise their great.
Luck to all.

i got a cheap ibanez 12 last november and can not put it down, been trying to get the SRV sound,,,,anyone else bust that high G string????:)

Rock and Roll Never Dies,,, It just passes out for a while: George Thorogood

I played on a Mitchell at the music shop a while ago.  I had never heard of Mitchell, but that 12 string played very easily.  It was set-up perfectly.  I was able to barre the 12 stringer better than my six string. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A little piece of advice....  about 30 years ago I too fell under the spell of the 12 string.  Bleeding pain to tune at first, but sweet sounding with flatpicking.  Surely no room in there for my fat fingers, as in those days I was deep in persuit of "classical" skills.

Anyway the less expensive 12s out there are often a bit weak in the internal bracing department, and with the additional tension of those extra 6 strings are prone to "saddle lifting".  Naturally this results in way WAY too much fret clearance and a bowed top downstream of the saddle.  Try tuning down a full note and capo back up to reduce tension.  If it warps you might find (as I did) that the repair costs can be more than the initial cost of the instrument.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I love my 12 string (Walden).  Its not the most expensive guitar but it is an awesome toy. I usually play it about every 2 weeks and its like that fixation of just wanting to jam.
It takes you somewhere.