Topic: Tanglewood guitars

New member and first post.

Sorry if this email is vague - I'm not too hot on the termninology of guitars (yet).

Been learning an acoustic for the last two years.  At Christmas a banjo playing colleague of mine said I could have his Tanglewood acoustic guitar for £70.  He said it had been his for the last few years but didn't play it much - if at all.  Said it was over 15 years old but looked in good condition and was worth much more than £70.

I was looking to trade up from my basic acoustic guitar and thought it better buying from someone I knew in case I was ripped off.  He played it and it sounded good.  I played it and thought it was good.

Now - four months later - I'm having second thoughts. I find it very difficult to play barre chords on it and it doesn't feel easy to play.  I much prefer playing my basic acoustic (which I think sounds better).

Now I know I've not mentioned the type of Tanglewood guitar (I wouldn't even know where to look) but just wondered whether someone would say:

a) They're all the same and you're just looking for excuses

b) Can't advise you unless we know the make, model, size etc

c)  Heck, never use a Tanglewood, they're for a better level of players

d)  You've been ripped off, those guitars are a joke

I know I should have tried to play it a lot more when he was trying to sell it - I probably only played it for about ten minutes.

Any help?

Re: Tanglewood guitars

Hey Corleone,

I purchased my first Tanglewood about 3 weeks ago: A TW55-DLX electro-acoustic. So far, I've been very pleased. Had a set-up done from my local guitar shop, and it plays beautifully. No problems with barre chords or any other techniques. I often play acoustic fingerstyle so I'm pretty picky when it comes to the action of my guitars. It has a great tone as well, pretty different from its competition when I was choosing which guitar to buy (Taylor 110ce/210ce, Takamine EG series). Plus the entire guitar is solid wood (Sitka Spruce & Mahogany Sides and Back), no laminate material.

My other acoustic is a Guild, so it took a bit of time for me to get used to the way the Tanglewood played. A few days of practice made it very comfortable.

So, to respond, I'd first say it's hard to say without knowing the model. However, even less expensive guitars can play & sound very nicely, so I wouldn't always stick to that logic. What I DO recommend, is to see what you can do about setting up the guitar's action correctly. If you're having difficulty to play chords and such, bring it to your shop, and see if they can adjust the neck/bridge to make the strings closer to the fretboard, so that's it's easier to do your formations. Another option could be to switch to lighter gauge strings.

In any case, best of luck. Tanglewoods, in my experience, are great guitars for the price.

J.

I'd agree with the above. have it professionally set up and be sure you're comparing apples to apples with your 2 acoustics. The brand and gauge of strings can really effect sound and playability as well. Don't give up on the Tanglewood; generally, they seem to get good reviews. Search this forum and I think you'll find mostly praise. And...welcome to Chordie

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Some good advice given above so I'll not add to it except to say that I have two Tanglewoods, a TW66 electro-acoustic 6-string and a TW15/12 FC4 electro-acoustic 12-string and I think they're great value for money.

Here's the opinion of a UK dealer:

http://server.iad.liveperson.net/hc/s-2 … ction=view

Good luck with getting it sorted out to play as you want it to

I've had a tanglewood for a few years now and I'm very happy with it. Couldnt tell you the model but it is spruce and mahogany one piece dreadnought body.

Compare with my first acoustic - a yamaha - it is more difficult to barre chords but the sound is much better, it has a very good deep strong yet mellow sound, so much so that I often use very light picks so that I can hear my own voice!
It's lovely to play finger style on.
Its a good guitar to get your hand strength up to speed on - I picked up a yamaha recently the comparison was striking. It was like playing a toy guitar in comparison. Stick with it, Tanglewoods are lovely guitars and they reward patience!

Shane

The other side of the coin here. I tried a few Tanglewoods when I was buying a new guitar about a year ago and didn't like any of them. Maybe it was the way they were presented in the shops.

But I would definately get it set up professionally if you're worried about it. Check out this post by moddish http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7217

Strung Out Guitars website is here http://www.strungoutguitars.com/oscommerce/index.php

They're in the Merchant City area of the town (Glasgow). Seems they do a fantastic job.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi corleone,

I checked my Tanglewood last night and noticed (for the first time!) that the action looks exceptionally high on it. I also noticed that the edges of the fretboard at the neck are quite sharp (as opposed to my previous guitar where they were more rounded) and both conspire to make barring a bit of a challenge.
I dont know to what extent these apply to your model but you can certainly have the action lowered which should make things a bit easier!

I remember a very experienced guitarist telling me that Tanglewoods are as good as guitars selling at €1,000 plus and for their price range they are the best deal going. This was from a guy who had a couple of top level Martins!

Shane

My first and only acoustic is a Tanglewood and I love it dearly.  A number of my guitar playing friends say it has a lovely voice and action. 

If it dounded good at first and now it doesn't, suggests something has changed.  Mayber you've changed the strings and used a heavier gauge than the guiter is used to?  I only use Martin extra light and I recently fitted a heavier string in error and it sounded awfull.  they just didn't sit as well in the worn parts of the frets.  Changed to the usual and happy days.

Hope this helps,

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Thanks guys for your words of advice.  Much appreciated.

Sorry for not being able to give you more advice on model etc but I've left it somewhere and won't be able to check it for a week or so.

When I first tried it I thought it would get easier when I changed the strings - ultra ultra light!  But when I did it made no difference, in fact I was convinced that the strings were thicker than the ones I had on my other guitar (they weren't). 

I'm reassured that I've not bought a duff guitar and that I should practice, practice and practice.

I might also take it to the guitar shop mentioned and see what they think.

In the meantime my gig at the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall has had to be put back by a couple of decades.  Sorry, but you'll just have to wait to hear my famous rendition of:

Three Blind Mice
Happy Birthday to you
Baa Baa racial profiling is wrong sheep
Stairway to heaven

Until then.

Extra extra light strings could make an acoustic sound pretty bad.  I'd think you'd cut your fingers up too.  I don't usually like extra light strings on acoustics, but someone above says it sounds best on his.  All a matter of preference I suppose.  Nevertheless, sounds like your friend didn't do wrong by you and as if you've got a guitar you can grow into.  That's all good and just where you want to be. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Shit if you dont like it ill give you £100 for it!!!!!

scrimmy82 wrote:

Shit if you dont like it ill give you £100 for it!!!!!

Maybe I should own up and say he only charged me £70!

Could be I'm just too damn fussy and I'm trying to blame the guitar for my lack of ability.

Feel reassured that most of you on here rate the guitar.  But the big question is - will I be able to do justice to the songs of Val Doonican!!!

Get a set-up or you could end up sounding like Delaney's donkey!!!!! Or McGinty's Goat...

Ahhhh Val Doonican cool

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??