Topic: what are Saturday afternoons good for?

Well, I had a hangover this morning after a bottle of whisky seemed to find its way down my throat lastnight while friends and family were blasting out some right good songs in a session that lasted about 5 hours.

So today just when my headache cleared I thought " what will I do today". so I decided to pick up me guitar and record me doing "fields of athenry" but I have done it slightly different to what I normally play it like ( the last verse is how i usually sing it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGrkjS5-GXM
appologies to Old Doll and any other Irish that does not like this getting done a bit differently lol

also while that was uploading I recorded me doing an Eric Bogle song " if wishes were fishes". I love this wee song. I have not done a punked up version of this, not yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiouuT0fbow

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

2 (edited by (0)==#paranormal guitar 2008-04-19 14:47:40)

Re: what are Saturday afternoons good for?

rearranging a 5 minute long song for a bunch of musical incompetents.
try that. hmm

lol

i watched the video, it's great!
i left a comment

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

thanks liam for the comment.
I can do better ,lol.

I still cannot see my "if wishes were fishes "up yet though. It better have worked properly in uploading, it said it did.

Ken

and now wishes were fishes is there, link on top post

I buried my father today.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome,Ido not know if you are talking about a song ,but if you did bury your father today my symbathies for you.I lost my dad three years ago.It hurts.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

My father was killed in a car accident three weeks ago.  My mom was in the hospital for a time, and was just now able to attend services, which we had today.

Hi jerome,Sorry too here that it was not a song,again my condolances too you abd your family.When my dad went I did find that being with friends and family helped most,but I also found myself with my guitar always around me it gave me alot of comfort.     dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

sorry to hear Jerome,
thought with ye

Ken

Jerome, I am so sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences to you and the rest of your family.
In your sorrow remember the good times that you shared together, celebrate his life and what he gave to you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Sorry to hear of your loss Jerome.
Ark

12 (edited by Jikklop 2008-04-20 09:45:20)

As am I, Jerome.
I lost my mother when I was about six.
Anyway, spending Saturday afternoons playing guitar and singing is the only way to spend Saturday afternoons.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Jerome,

I am terribly saddened to hear of your loss.  What an awful blow!  So sudden.  Please speak up if there's anything we can do.  There's no advice that sounds useful at times like this, so action takes its place.  From three thousand miles away, the only action I can think of is prayer - and so I'll do that without your asking.  If there is anything I can do from this distance, all you need do is ask.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

jerome.oneil wrote:

My father was killed in a car accident three weeks ago.  My mom was in the hospital for a time, and was just now able to attend services, which we had today.

Sincere condolences to you and your family Jerome.

Give everything but up.

Prayers with you Jerome ,be strong.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

Jerome,

What an horrific time you and your family must be going through. My most sincere condolences to you all. My words won't be of much comfort, but I truly wish you peace.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Sorry to hear about that...

Same as everyone else said Jerome, really sorry to hear about your awful news. It'll be little comfort but my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Take care.

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

19 (edited by alvee33 2008-04-21 18:05:04)

upyerkilt wrote:

Well, I had a hangover this morning after a bottle of whisky seemed to find its way down my throat lastnight while friends and family were blasting out some right good songs in a session that lasted about 5 hours.

So today just when my headache cleared I thought " what will I do today". so I decided to pick up me guitar and record me doing "fields of athenry" but I have done it slightly different to what I normally play it like ( the last verse is how i usually sing it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGrkjS5-GXM
appologies to Old Doll and any other Irish that does not like this getting done a bit differently lol

also while that was uploading I recorded me doing an Eric Bogle song " if wishes were fishes". I love this wee song. I have not done a punked up version of this, not yet....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiouuT0fbow

Ken

Ken,

I enjoyed yer wee version of the Fields of Athenry. Good stuff. I've tried playing this song before and failed miserably. I just didn't know the song well enough, I think, and found it really awkward to do. Thanks to your version I can see how it's meant to sound now.

As for Saturday afternoons....  they are for getting yourself along to a football match and supporting your local team.

cheers Al,

I think drop kick murphys version might just have the better on me for a punk version,lol.

Local team? My nearest team is Dumarton!!! now c'mon tell me, would you? lol.

Yeah, I should though. I might next season if I have any money left over from all the scotland games me and my boy are going to.

Ken

Me and my family are members of Historic Scotland which gets us into Dumbarton Castle for free. From the top of the castle hill you can see into the football ground.

I've been married to a Paisley wumin for too long. Always looking for ways to get something for nothing lol lol

Fáilte Jerome,

My Deepest Sympathy to you and all your family on the death of your Dad, Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.  {May He rest in peace }.

How suddenly and swiftly our world can change for all of us.    Dwell on all that was good about your Dad, this will sustain you in your loss.

Your Mom and all her family are remembered in my prayers.

Síochán leat { Peace be with you }

Slán Mó Cára.

Old Doll/ Helena.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Dad was an awesome guy, and he would have been annoyed by a bunch of people standing around weeping and wailing about it.  big_smile  I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers.  My family is vast and strong.

Doll, as an interesting aside, my new Sweet Irish Thing was in the states a few days after the accident on business, and had been scheduled to come and meet my family for a while.   So I picked her up at the airport, and dropped her off at the hotel, then went back to the hospital to stay with mom.  Two of my three sisters were there when I walked in.

First words out of there mouths when I walked in the room...  "Where is she?!"  They made me go back and get her, so her first introduction to my mom and sisters was in the hospital.   They all loved it.

People are strange.  Especially my people...

But anyway, that's my Saturday.

Hi UYK,

No offence whatsoever, i was a wee bit worried you were never going to get started, LOL.

Have you ever seen the chorus to "Fields of Athenry" mimed? We mime the words. Looks funny when you get a crowd to do it.

If "Fishes were Wishes" is a song im always saying ill learn. I will now after hearing you singing it. Lovely song.

Well done to you.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !