1 (edited by jets60 2008-04-22 14:34:34)

Topic: "Forgotten Wheels"

So it being Earth Day and all, I was thinking of how to be a little more conservative and earth friendly and I remembered I have a bike down in the basement that hasn’t seen the sunlight in a while. That is where this comes from.

Forgotten Wheels By Jeff Gilpin

April 22nd, 2008

Verse 1

[C]Shaking out the [F7]cobwebs

[C]Dusting off the [G]dirt

[Em]Oiling up the creaky parts

[Am]Hoping it’ll work

Been [F7]years since I’ve ridden

[C]Not sure I still can

Or [G]if the bike’s still sturdy

And can [F7]hold this heavy man

Chorus

[Am]Riding through the neighborhood

[G]Riding all over town

It [F7]use to be my wheels back then

[C]But I’ve let it [G]down

[Am]Forgotten how it felt

To have the [G]wind in my hair

The world [F7]spread out before me

And [Am]me without a care

Verse 2

The [C]chain could use a [F7]little grease

The [C]tires a little [G]air

But [Em]it seems in working order

And [Am]I think that it can bear

The [F7]weight of this old man now

[C]Who is no longer the kid

Who could [G]ride his bike all day

And [F7]never has gotten rid

Chorus

[G]Riding all over town

Verse 3

So I’ll [C]take it out [F7]set it up

[C]See if it’ll [G]go

Take [Em]time get my wheels back

I [Am]guess I’ll start out slow

But [F7]gradually I’ll speed on up

As I [C]start remembering

You [G]never forget how to ride a bike

Or that [F7]being a kid thing

Chorus

[G]Riding all over town

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

2 (edited by Zurf 2008-04-22 15:59:22)

Re: "Forgotten Wheels"

HOLY SHMOLEY!!!  I've got a new favorite Chordian song (regrets and apologies to my former favorite song songwriters James, Last Rebel, and Selso).  I can SOOOOOOOOO relate to this song, and you had the extreme good sense not to use any "B" chords in it!

Good lyrics, the meter's right on the money, I haven't played the chord progression but I can just about hear it in my head.  Just love it.  Love it, love it, love it, love it, ad infinitum. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hi jets i used to have a raleigh three speed twist grip gears,i put indicators front and back with buttons on the handlebars,two bike lamps on each front fork,two red lamps at the back with switches on the back of a chrome mirror backing,and big batteries in the saddlebag to run them,thats besides the dynamo set and a speedometer which ran off the front wheel,i used to ride 11mls every night and back to see the mrs it was great...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hey Zurf and Daddy - Thanks.

My wife got me thinking about this along with earthday. We've had bikes forever but somehow they migrated to the basement and now it's time to bring them out again.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hi Jets,

I havent cycled for many years now. I was certainly fitter when i did.

I can still see the first new bike i ever had { In my memory bank of course}

Good Song.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Lena - I can't imagine cycling in the Ireland although I bet it would be a blast. Just driving in England took a while to get use to but I finally did although I lost count of the curb checks I had.

J  E  T  S

Well I printed this out yesterday during lunch and gave it a go as I took a coffee break this morning.  I like it even better now.  Very, very good song.  If you ever hear me play it, you'll notice that I customized it a little for me.  Can't help it.  It's nothing to do with the song itself, and everything to do with me.  I think that it is a genetic impossibility for me to leave well enough alone.

Now that it's spring, I'm looking forward to harrassing some of those Shenandoah National Park trout with you like we talked about over the winter.  Maybe we'll have to write a song about the Rose River.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Hey Zurf - The fun think about this forum is that the songs are put out there with a implied "use as you see fit" clause on them so I say adjust to fit your needs and have fun with it. My son will be back home sometime after the 15th of May and I plan on taking him up to Shenandoah for a cookout but he likes to fish as well and I'm pretty sure he'll have some time he'll want to go while he's here. I'll drop you a line then and let’s see if we can hook up.

J  E  T  S

Sounds great.  I'm recovering from surgery on my right shoulder and have been practicing casting left-handed.  Ought to be great entertainment for you and your son.  I was organizing my music printouts the other day and came across that one you wrote to sing as a duet with him and prayed for his safety then, and I'll say another for his safe return. 

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf - He said he would help me out recording that one too while he's back here. Should be fun.

J  E  T  S