Topic: Electric ukes

question.  How DO you best make a uke electric?  They sell them but they're expensive.  I'd rather make one.  Distortion is desired.   The sound of a midget banchee in heat.

2 (edited by Doug_Smith 2008-08-02 01:36:12)

Re: Electric ukes

Hi brianbeast and welcome to chordie!

I'll try to lend some assistance, although I am not a Uke player.  I play an Ovation and I know they make an electric uke that is really sweet for under $200.00 with an on-board preamp.  But awhile back I was helping a friend "electrify" his Taylor guitar, and I had remembered that several years ago you could get this piezoelectric pickup called "hot spots" which consisted of these little pickups that were installed into small holes drilled through the bridge between the pairs of strings with epoxy, and covered with abalone dots. They were wired into a small harness that ended at a button plug that was installed in place of the strap pin.
  The set we put on Jeff's Taylor glued underneath the bridge, but work really well.  Distortion is done through the amp and so knobs on the instrument are unnecessary.  The set for 6 strings (3 pickups) and wiring was like $45-$50.00 and I think Jeff paid $25.00 to have it installed (because he was squeamish about drilling that big hole for the plug in his new guitar).  Check around your local music stores and find a luthier, who can better advise you.

Just found this link www.bluestarmusic.com  they have Uke pickups reasonable.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I would think a K&K Mini would be ideal for this application..

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I bought a Piezo pick up and a mini amp on eBay for a total of $A30

The mini amp has distortion and it rocks!

The next destination is the local hock shop for a flanger pedal..........