Topic: Cleaning Strings/Frets.

Hello. I just received a acoustic/electric guitar from a member of my church because she doesn't use it. Anyway, when I gave it a spin I noticed my fingers got black stains from the strings. When I brought it home I noticed a dirty scent from it (could have been my sweat because it's hot like an oven here in New York.) Anyway, I want to know what I can do to clean the fretboard and the strings. I don't want to remove the strings however, because I never strung/restrung a guitar. I know I shouldn't use water, but what about anything from home? Thanks for any help I get.

(Sorry if I typed a lot, I tend to do that.)

Re: Cleaning Strings/Frets.

You should renew the strings ,the ones on just now sound as though they are pretty minging. Go to your local guitar shop and buy a cleaning kit along with your new strings, if your not sure about what to buy ,take the guitar with you and ask for their advise.And find out anything else thats important to your axe. good luck.

I agree with Henry. Change those strings, wipe down the fret board. That should do it

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

4 (edited by cytania 2008-06-09 08:21:04)

Simple, quick route is to take your guitar to a small independent guitar shop. They will usually change strings for a few dollars ontop of the string pack price. Usually while they're at it they'll give the fingerboard a clean with lemon oil or similar.

The longer, harder route is to just buy the strings and a product like 'Fast Fret'. Look up an online guide to changing strings and have a go yourself. Make sure you allow plenty of time, I usually give myself an afternoon, change a few strings have a cup of tea, change some more etc. Pace yourself cos it can be be frustrating and fiddly. If you've never done it before you might want to take the shop route and watch what they do (assuming they don't disappear into a backroom workshop).

Another essential purchase - a contact tuner. Intellisense make a great 'bone' tuner. It clips on to anything acoustic, electric, bass even and will save you from over-tightening if you DIY (providing you don't go up a whole octave, then the strings will be really tight, real hard to play).

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

If she's played around campfires, the soot can get imbedded in the strings which will transfer to your fingers & turn them black--and KILL the strings.
There was a time for everyone of us on the board when we didn't know how to change strings--like Cytania suggested, take it to a shop and watch them do it, or find some instruction / video on line--that's what I did.
Dunlop has a good lemon oil / fret board product that I use--make sure you clean up against the fret wires real good.  gunk can pile up there if it hasn't been cleaned in a while.
And have fun--this may sound goofy, but I like changing my strings...it's like I'm taking care of my guitar...giving it some one-on-one time....
Good luck!

I agree with all of the previous postings...take it to a shop or dealer and see if they will let you watch while they change the strings. It's not difficult but needs to be done right. The shop can also check the set-up and playability of your guitar and offer advice and adjustment if needed. They should also have some product for cleaning and maintenance...here's a link from the Martin guitar company of care, cleaning, and changing strings on an acoustic guitar...    http://www.martinguitar.com/catalog/PDF … eeding.pdf   

I'm one of those people with a high salt content in my sweat so I frequently wipe down the guitar and strings after playing...you can even use a damp cloth of warm soapy water to clean and then thoroughly dry when done...then lightly oil the metal tuning parts, etc...

Hope this helps! Happy playing...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks for the replies. One thing I noticed on the strings, was that the gunk on them looks more like if it was left in a closet for a long time, so I guess I'm going to find a cleaning kit to have it clean for now then I'll see what I can do about getting new strings. Thanks!

most of the dirt or crud you see on your fretboard and strings is caused by the oil in your skin and dust and dirt in the air. I always wash my hands before playing and wipe the string and fretboard down afterward. I've used some different cleaners in the past and found that Windex or a similar cleaner works well. I would suggest you change out the strings and wipe the fretboard down,apply a light coat of Pledge or a similar product and restring. Dirty strings will affect the sound of your guitar and a dirty fretboard will affect how easily your guitar plays(not to mention the black streaks on your fingers). After you get used to doing this it becomes automatic and your strings will last longer. And don't be intimidated about changing strings, after you do it a few times you should be able to have it done in 15 minutes or so

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I've got this FastFret stuff that you wipe on before and after playing to clean the strings and frets.

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.