Topic: BASS Guitar

so i hear bass is really easy to play and onyone can do it, is this true? (if u play bass let me know)

Re: BASS Guitar

lol

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Yes it's easy to be a heads-down, hard plugging bass player but that's a bit like saying you only need 3 chords to play guitar. If anything I'd say it's harder to play bass because you have to keep the beat. My bass tutor was guitarists have 'all the power and none of the responsibility'.

First off there is very little bass tab out there. So most songs you'll need to work out which notes to play. Much of the time this'll be the root note but then you have a choice of where to play them on the fretboard. Bass players have to be a able to noodle something out.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

There is a saying that a guitar is one of the easiests instruments to play, the most difficult to master. Playing basic bass is fairly easy...if you've got good timing. A really good bass player is a real joy to listen to!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Montana W. wrote:

so i hear bass is really easy to play and onyone can do it, is this true? (if u play bass let me know)

Any instrument is easy to play if one is content with a low or minimal level of musicianship.
I play guitar and bass(fretless). I loop live and usually record the guitar first, followed by bass and/or percussion. I really enjoy bass, especially the smooth variation one gets from a fretless. The fretless is a little harder to play due to the absence of visible frets. My ear has improved greatly since taking on the fretless. On a fretted bass, anywhere within the fret will most always work but on a fretless there's a "sweet spot" that is much more precise and a little harder to find. It's well worth the extra effort when those low, smooth, singing tones float in the air. I also make a conscious effort to phrase my bass playing different than my guitar playing.

Give everything but up.

6 (edited by cytania 2008-06-10 15:13:49)

To add to my last post Montana, yes I'm a bass player and although I play acoustic and electric when in a band I find bass suits me best. The hardest part of learning bass for me was finding an effective rock style that kept in with the drummer. I'd learnt lots of fun basslines but when it came to playing in a band I had to learn to get simple and play right on the one. So in this case 'really easy' means hard work. Great when it's hard rockin work though ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'