Topic: saddle setup for slide electric

Hopefully someone can give me some help - I want to set up my cheap and cheerful squier tele for open g with the setup for both chord work ~(yes just like the Stones) and slide.

Should I adjust the saddles so they are level, in other words ignore the contour of the frets, so that the slide hits all strings evenly - or will I make life too difficult for finger work? What do the experts do?

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Re: saddle setup for slide electric

I've never modified my action for slide.  A lot of people raise theirs, which is fine, if you like your action high.  I think as long as it's not too low, you'll get the hang of it.  I like low action, and play low action slide.  If you get used to it that way, it doesn't have to be a problem.

You can do that but but I don't really think it's necessary or much advantage. For exclusive slide work in those open tunings I would think about a slightly higher nut, but not too high, and slotted for a heavier gauge string...most Telecasters are set up with 9-42 but might get a better sound (for slide) with a 10-49 gauge set. I have a Fender Strat set up like that and not only sounds great for slide, but also allows for chording and  fingerstyle picking as well. I use a lot of the Open G for that...Hope that helps some...   By the way...sometimes a really cheap and funky guitar can really sound awesome for slide work...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I would leave it to start with and raise the action only if  nessesary.  I play slide on my accoustics, and electrics, and don't change the setup for either,  but I prefer medium gauge strings, and higher than average action.
The slide you use may have a bit of a curve, especialy if you are useing a bottle neck.  Some of the cheap Italian wines bottles match the fender necks quite well.   But I have used sraight metal slides and they work just fine.