Topic: VANISHED TOPIC Function of music in school & cheerleaders.

REMEMBER, I try to involve in 99% of my topics MUSIC, because that's what matters here, even this topic is music related. The American education system can pursue anything from nuclear science to FILM, DANCE AND MUSIC.

So there are really about music at high school.  Take sport like "football" MUSIC + CHEERLEADERS. This is an US phenomenon, and all I know is from what I see on TV.
CLASSIC SCENARIO = Quarterback + cheerleader. The Quarterback is "the man" and the cheerleader is "the girl" in popularity.

A week ago I wrote a topic about the school system in Europe versus USA. I first thought that it doesn't belong here but in fact it does.
It's all about "scholarships" like sports but also you can get a scholarship as MUSICIAN (I did my home work better this time) But first I wanted to mention the time you spend on school here in BELGIUM and compare it with the USA.
- 3 years KINDERGARTEN.
- 6 years lower school from 1st degree to 6th degree. (6y -- 12y)
- college = 6 years (12y -- 18y) Than you have 3 choices WORK, HIGH SCHOOL, UNIVERSITY.
WORK more difficult without a degree and not many options to promote
HIGH SCHOOL = 3-4 years and some options: NURSE, TECHNICAL or INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER...
UNIVERSITY = 4 to 7 years. So here it takes 5 years to become a pharmacist, 6 years to become a veterinary (when I looked I was overwhelmed how many different specialties there are) and finally 7 years to become a Medical Doctor. You study 6 years and the 7th year is practicing on different specialties).

WHAT IS THE TIME TO STUDY THERE IN THE USA to become a medical doctor, and HOW DOES THE SYSTEM IS WORKING THERE? See what I wrote.
You have some top Universities like HARVARD, YALE, PRINCETON and THERE IT IS: the famous "SCHOLARSHIPS" if you are a very gifted musician you can have a scholarship, or a sportsman. What if you don't have a scholarship and is the UNIVERSITY like Harvard really so important for your future.   
I really hope that this is written clear enough. I wrote it because I noticed a few times that a 17 year old MUSICIAN gets a HARVARD scholarship.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: VANISHED TOPIC Function of music in school & cheerleaders.

Greetings my Good Doctor,
  Your thread is still out there, titled "Something Easier".  To which I did respond although it seems I am the only one to do so.
I would add however, that some finer schools (like Harvard, Princeton, and Yale) convey "honorary" degrees to individuals based only upon merit for outstanding contributions in their field over the course of their careers.  Not on attendance or study at that institution.
  If it was that the name of the school was very important to your future, and you don't qualify for that scholarship, it would be possible to simply pay the huge tuition and if your entrance exam scores are high enough to get you one of their limited seats, you could attend.  But most students are accepted on merit, or social/political status.  As for working folks like myself, we could not afford to put our kids through one of those institutions.
  As it is here in the US, Tuition and book costs at one of the State Universities can run upwards of $25,000.00 per year.  Without scholarships,grants and low interest student loans a majority cannot attend 4 years in a row.  I guess that is why Junior Colleges are popular... two year program for an Associate Degree and then you can transfer to University to attain your "sheepskin".  Junior (or community) Colleges have lower tuition and fees, and allow more freedom in scheduling so one could work while enrolled. 

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks a lot Dough.
It is really very complicated for me. What I understand is that you need a fortune to study in YALE, HARVARD?
If you don't have the money and you have to go to a MINOR University to become a lawyer, your friends at these "ELITE"universities also lawyers will find a job real easy, with those references compared to that minor player.
Someone who plays very well a CELLO can get a scholarship? Is it ALL ABOUT money and fame, having the opportunity to study at Yale, and sportsmen like American Football players are accepted, so don't they take a place from someone else who can't study there?
Is this correct? THEY GET (SPORTSMEN, MUSICIANS) just to have publicity, and they don't get a diploma?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

School here - start Kindergarten at 5.  Enter 1st grade at 6 and proceed to 12th grade (H.S. Senior) at 18. 

At this point, there are a zillion options.  Military training (4 to 6 year commitment.  You get paid, but you also have the opportunity to be shot at.), getting a job (but probably not a good one), obtaining training in a trade - carpentry, truck driving, electronics technician, what-have-you (usually about two years), attending a junior college for an Associates Degree (usually two years), entering a certificate program (more for folks with some experience in a particular field who want to advance in that field), University (mostly four year programs that take five years to finish), if you want a medical or law degree then you go to medical or law school.  I don't know how long medical school takes, but many doctors first earn a Master's degree in biology or anatomy or some such so they have two to three years of grad school before entering medical school which I think is about four or five years plus an internship for a year or two.  Law school is usually two to four years depending on whether you attend full or part time.  The times can vary.  I think three years is pretty common.

As far as Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Penn, Brown, and a few others, those ivy league schools are indeed extremely expensive.  However, I know a fellow who was in an MBA program at Harvard.  Just getting into the program allowed him to get very good loan terms for the expense so many of the graduates get such good jobs upon completion.  I earned an MBA from a private school in Virginia (Shenandoah University).  It was a good education, but not well recognized.  The education has allowed me to advance my career, but nothing like the height and speed a Harvard MBA would permitted me.  On the other hand, I have to think that while I think the education I received at Shenandoah was good, that Harvard's education is probably better.  They don't get to maintain elite status by doing a poor job. 

Hope that helps.

Students can get scholarships for all sorts of things. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude