Topic: Tips and Tricks

I know all of us have some tips and tricks we use that could be helpful to others while we are playing our music but I haven't seen anything like this on this forum. So here goes.

Have you ever had problems with the "button" hole in your guitar strap being worn and loose? Its come off real easy and could cause your guitar to fall to the floor? A easy fix (temporary) to safeguard this is to use the little plastic tabs used to seal the bags on a loaf of bread. After you put the strap over the (each) button you clip the plastic tab over the button and it won't let the strap come off. Simple, easy and dirt cheap.

Who's next with a Tip or Trick?

Nela

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-08-06 16:11:56)

Re: Tips and Tricks

Nela thats a great tip! its true necessity is the mother of invention smile just off hand the only tip i can think of at this time is when I change a string I measure to the next post and a tad more and cut the string put in the hole let it stick out about 1/2 inch and bend it in the oppisite direction I turn the peg to tighten and I always make sure the wind is below the bend this helps avoid slipping out of tune after the string stretches and I bend the string toward the center of the headstock so I wont stick my finger with it, hope this helps smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Good idea Nela.

When changing your guitar strings take a finely sharpened pencil and draw inside the notches on the nut (by headstock) and the bridge (on body). The coating of lead creates a smoother gliding surface for your strings and helps to prevent sticking and 'pinging'.

Next, keep a fresh sheet of mid-grit sandpaper in your guitar case.(inside the pick compartment so the sandpaper won't scuff up your guitar finish). When your guitar picks begin to wear down they get little snag notches on the sides. These snags are one of the main causes for breaking strings. Use your sandpaper to sand off the snaggy areas on your picks. I know picks are relatively inexpensive but you can double or triple the life of your picks by using this technique. It adds up to a significant amount of money over time..........

Give everything but up.

4 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-08-06 16:39:57)

Off hand the only tips I can think of are... When changing strings always bend the ball end of the string to a 90 degree angle before putting the pins in. This gets the ball back out of the way and stops those annoying string slips that scare the $#!+ out of ya when tunning it up. Also I like to tune up my guitar after a string change and then after a few hours of playing and the strings have stretched out I'll take the tension off the wound strings. Then I remove the bridge pins and twist the strings about 2 times and then reset the pins. Twist them in the direction they're wound (usually clockwise). Wound strings are similar to springs and as you put them under tension they stretch and the winding is not as tight as it was without tension. Putting a few turns in them rewinds the string and they have a better responce, tone and it actually seems to help then last longer also.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Here's one that I use.

For those of you who play instruments that did not come factory equipped with a pickguard (you know who you are).  Go down to your local Craft Store and get a sheet or two of masking film.  It is a clear plastic sheet with a light adhesive back used for cutting out complex patterns and used in air brush artwork.  It is very thin, clear, and has a semigloss finish, also inexpensive.  Trim to whatever shape you want and apply it to the face of your instrument in the "impact zone".  It removes easily without residue if it becomes worn, but does a very good job of protecting the finish without dampening the acoustics of the guitar top.

Over time even fingernails will mar the finish... and I hate polishing!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Great topic--going off of southpaw's sandpaper idea, I have trouble with picks slipping, so I rough the surface with sandpaper and problem solved.

hey yeah... I like drilling holes picks if theya re thick enough... nice for gripping.

NELA this is great. MY worst nightmare is CHANGING STRINGS. I never have a nice result like you see the strings as in the guitar store. I CAN'T WIND THE STRINGS DECENT, but 1 week later they stay still in tune but the visually aspect? AWFUL.
SO PLEASE GIVE ME A GOOD TIP TO PUT AND CHANGE STRINGS ON MY GUITAR.
I start with the big E-string (not to wear on the beach) and I push on that string on the first fret, I put the string through the little hole and that's where the problem starts: the winding and tuning.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]