Topic: DEEP BLACK ZEPPELIN

Well the title tells us more than enough but IS THE FOLLOWING THEORY ACCEPTABLE?
- LED ZEPPELIN
- BLACK SABBATH (WITH OZZIE)
- DEEP PURPLE

Are they truly the godfathers of hard rock and heavy metal ? Or am I wrong. I mean there is something wrong about that theory.
I have the feeling that there is a kind of MISSING LINK. STILL in the PERIOD end 60ties early 70ties
I quote: Hard rock is strongly influenced by blues music. The most frequently used scale in hard rock is the pentatonic, which is a typical blues scale but they "tuned it up" by playing it 2-3 times faster than blues and the classic rock and roll.
Fact 1 = we can say: BLUES ==> ROCK AND ROLL ==> HARDROCK ==> HEAVY METAL, because during the 70ties hardrock inspired another style known as heavy metal.
Fact 2 = Deep purple's album, Machine Head, is considered by a lot as one of the first heavy metal albums.
Don't forget DEF LEPPARD. There seem to be only 5 bands who sold more than 10.000.000 copies of an album in the USA. The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Van Halen and Led Zeppelin are the other four.
I expected the Rolling Stones too, but we speak here of 1 album.

Can you please help me with this thread, I have a writer's block.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: DEEP BLACK ZEPPELIN

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7921

Give everything but up.

NO I don't agree, that topic was more about the WORD "METAL" here it's about the GODFATHERS

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Metal historian Ian Christe describes what the components of the term mean in "hippiespeak": "heavy" is roughly synonymous with "potent" or "profound," and "metal" designates a certain type of mood, grinding and weighted as with metal. The word "heavy" in this sense was a basic element of beatnik and later countercultural slang, and references to "heavy music"—typically slower, more amplified variations of standard pop fare—were already common by the mid-1960s. Iron Butterfly's debut album, released in early 1968, was titled Heavy. The first recorded use of heavy metal is a reference to a motorcycle in the Steppenwolf song "Born to Be Wild," also released that year :"I like smoke and lightning/Heavy metal thunder/Racin' with the wind/And the feelin' that I'm under." A late, and disputed, claim about the source of the term was made by "Chas" Chandler, former manager of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. In a 1995 interview on the PBS program Rock and Roll, he asserted that heavy metal "was a term originated in a New York Times article reviewing a Jimi Hendrix performance," in which the author likened the event to "listening to heavy metal falling from the sky." A source for Chandler's claim has never been found.

In addition to this, metal is responsible to the CORNA, or devil horns, This is the hand gesture(palms out, thumb, pointer, and pinky fingers extended, middle and ring fingers in palm) popularized by the greatest singer in the universe, Ronnie James Dio. But of course the universes biggest egomaniac, Gene Simmons of Kiss, claims to be the first to make the gesture in concert.

So there you go Doc. Steppenwolf  and Iron Butterfly has to be given serious consideration to be included among the godfathers of metal.

Give everything but up.

Got to disagree, I dont think Ronnie dio is a great singer, I hate his singing,lol, but thats just me.

As for this long tongued posing bass player gene Simmons from Kiss, when did he clain to have done this horn hands thing first?
I would have said at a guess it was angus young??? maybe about 1977??? I am totally guessing here ,lol.

But as for godfathers of rock, AC DC are defintetly there I would say. They may not have been about before these other three mentioned but they have to be there.
And the early early godfathers of rock or metal or anything heavy like that will still have to stem from the likes of eddie cochran, buddy holly, that other guy with the funny hairdo lol and a few others from the 50's. Without them we would not have had leps or blacks or deeps.

and to go way way back to the great great great great grnadfather of outrageous music ye got to hand the title to Motzart. His classical music in that time was frowned upon because of the eraticness of it.

So without motzart we would not have had punk, mods, rock, roll,

Or would we have?

no one will ever know

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Doc,  I agree with southpaw on this, we have  covered this subject.  but  maybe this will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

7 (edited by dino48 2008-08-14 04:42:38)

HI doc I also rember Iron butterfly as the first heavy rock music  and steppen wolf was kind of heavy. Ialso think you could put some of the doors songs in heavy catorgory[sorry too have brought them up].     dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman